"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance - Comments

  • Zed

    Zed (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    And I totally agree with Kyra. In my opinion, it would be better to take it out of the pledge-because that isn't discriminating against anyone.
    You're not saying you DON'T believe in God, nor are you saying you believe in him. It is therefore open to people's religions. If you're going to have one speech for patriotism, you have to make it so that it will fit with the people who want to say it. Anyone who thinks those words should be added could say them in their prayers &c.
    July 15th, 2008 at 10:15pm
  • Zed

    Zed (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Does it say anywhere in the article that she thought that it should be changed?? I just thought it was a well written piece of writing explaining why people shouldn't use a certain 'excuse' or argument to back up their opinion.
    I live in the UK, so I don't actually have to say a pledge (unless you join Guides or something XD), but I think it should be optional. I agree that America was built on religion, like a few countries. But some people who want to be patriotic to their country, and say something that they believe in-except for two words. It's not just atheists who might have a problem; think of other religions, who don't necessarily believe in 'God'.
    I guess it should just be free choice, and that no one should be bothered if people leave out those two lines. After all, for someone who doesn't believe in them, would it not be disrespectful to force them to lie? Not just to them, but to Christianity?
    *shrug*
    It's not really an issue for me, but what you say, considering it's supposed to be free speech, should be what you want to, and not what people are forcing you to say.
    July 15th, 2008 at 10:12pm
  • Kyra

    Kyra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    Also, the endless., in regards to the discrimination against religious people, I don't think it would be. Not including it in the pledge wouldn't mean they wouldn't be allowed to recite or participate in certain things. It's not holding them back from something because of their religion. "Under God" just wouldn't be there. If the wall doesn't have the word "GOD" on it, does that mean it is leaning towards atheism? Of course not. That probably isn't the best example, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Though, even if we're not being forced to even recite those two words, it still is leaning towards the religious side.
    July 15th, 2008 at 09:30pm
  • Kyra

    Kyra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    I LOVE this article! Lovely job, even if it's a little one-sided AND missing the references, though at the same time, that was the point of this article. If I read right, you're defending the other side of the argument, the one that wants religion out of the pledge.

    could.tell.a.lovee., I myself don't say it when reciting the pledge, in fact, I make fun of it and replace it with something to smack religion in the face. Call it rude, but this is religion interfering with the public, when religion is meant to be a private practice. I don't want to wake up each morning to the thought of a belief ("god") that I think people have spun way out of control. I am not UNDER a god. I do not want to think that people need to hear that the pledge THINKS they are under a god. That simple.

    clauser, she said NOT EVERYONE, she didn't say NOBODY believes in god. Your entire argument is pretty much pointless if that's what your statements were targeted towards. It is true, not everybody believes in god, and as I'm sure I mentioned before in this comment, it should not be mentioned in a public area where there are people whom are not religious. Religion, once again, is a PRIVATE practice. Just because religion is popular doesn't mean we should keep the religious propaganda. It used to be popular and VERY common in America to own a slave (more like an entire plantation full of them), but I doubt most of you would say we should keep it that way because it is apart of our history and culture.

    Anyways...

    I don't want "Under God" enforced into areas of religious diversity (or no religion at all) when I can't even write about any other controversial issues (i.e. gay pride, which I did write about and was sent to the office...even though this same school had us pray at an assembly) because it might "offend" some people. Well guess what? "Under God" is offending me, and I'm sure, other religions that do not believe in ONE FUCKING GOD.

    I say we return to the original pledge, at least, the one claimed to be the original pledge written in this article. It sounds a lot less biased and to the point. Makes me feel patriotic, ha!
    July 15th, 2008 at 09:22pm
  • LiL_McR_FaN

    LiL_McR_FaN (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I didn't quite get this
    July 15th, 2008 at 09:10pm
  • rictumsempra.

    rictumsempra. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Whatever your opinion is, it's your opinion. But we shouldn't take it out. I'm not saying that because I'm a Christian, but because it's what it is. It's part of our history. If you don't believe in God, whoop-de-doo for you. If you don't believe it, just don't say it. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Say it or not say it.
    July 15th, 2008 at 07:24pm
  • PokerFace25

    PokerFace25 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    i am a Roman Catholic and everything, but i ust realized, that when the pledge comes on over the intercom, i actually just stand up and am like w/e.... yeah but to me the pledge isnt that important... sorry
    July 15th, 2008 at 07:01pm
  • The Sacrifice

    The Sacrifice (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I really couldn't care to much about it.
    It's just something we have to do every day at school.
    July 15th, 2008 at 06:15pm
  • Doe28

    Doe28 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I always take my hand away from my chest during the pledge in school (during that part). It's bullshit to have that in there.
    I'd so vote to take it out.
    July 15th, 2008 at 09:26am
  • grl365

    grl365 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    People are saying that this is a well written article but I would have to disagree. Yes, it flows very nicely and the spelling and grammar are correct but it is missing ONE very important detail, reference. If you are going to state facts you need to include your sources. How do we know that you didn’t just say that the pledge was originally constructed that way? Other than that, then yes it was well written article; even if I disagree with it.
    I don’t see the need to take “under God” out of the pledge, if you don’t like it there, you don’t have to say it. What I don’t get is the fact that people are willing and have no problem with saying god damn it or oh my god all the time but they can not say “under God” in the pledge. What is the difference, is there even one?
    “I think we should change it anyway. Not everyone believes in God you know.” (CardiacArrest,)If no one believed in God than why would this whole thing even be an issue? There are many people who believe in a god, whether it be the god of Christianity, Islam, or a type of religion that has many gods. Who is to say that the god mentioned in “under God” is the God of Christianity, if it wasn’t would this issue even be a matter to debate upon? Would this even be as big of an issue as it is now if the god in “under God” wasn’t the Christian God?
    July 15th, 2008 at 06:13am
  • SayMore

    SayMore (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Separation of church and state.

    That's pretty much all I have to say.
    July 15th, 2008 at 04:41am
  • aimless_ramble

    aimless_ramble (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    people still say the pledge?
    im just sayin i guess i see
    the adults do it but thats it.
    hell i dont even put my right
    hand over my heart anymore
    ....but then again i dnt like
    our government lol >.<
    July 15th, 2008 at 02:05am
  • nerdy_

    nerdy_ (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    the endless brought up a good point. After the pledge, everyone goes back to talking. The Pledge of Alligence, whether we like it or not, is just words. And we're not obligated to say those words.

    However, back when I was in sixth grade (some years ago) and there was a case about "under God", everybody in my pre-algebra class (7 people) practically [i]shouted[/i] those two words.

    I'm patriotic to my country. I see the flaws in America, but I also think the United States is a lot better than some other countries. So while I might not like the corruption in the USA, I'm not about to leave.
    July 15th, 2008 at 01:32am
  • the endless.

    the endless. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I see your point, and I thought it was a very well written article, but wouldn't you say that [i]taking out[/i] "under God" would be discriminating against religious people?

    I mean, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to say the pledge if you don't want to, but I think religious people should have the right to say "under God" if it means something to them.

    I personally just don't think it's a big deal. When is the pledge of allegiance even said? At my school it's said once a week, and it's the only 10 seconds of quiet in the class - after that everyone just goes back to talking, it doesn't mean anything to them. It's just words.
    July 15th, 2008 at 01:16am
  • folk you please

    folk you please (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I personally think that I'm one of the most unpatriotic people I know. During the 07-08 school year, I never spoke a word of the pledge. I don't like this country, so why should I pledge my allegiance to it? I'm very much a Christian, and I believe that the country was founded on religion. But, like everyone else said, if you don't like it, don't repeat it. It's that simple.
    July 15th, 2008 at 01:10am
  • Squirrely.Kassi

    Squirrely.Kassi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with the two people below me, I think people need to stop b-tching about everything and move on with their lives, I think it sucks -ss that they took "God" from the Pepsi can, seriously that's ridiculous... My Goodness, people need to knock it off with their winning...

    America was founded on Religion, people need to get over it... Stop changing everything, ya change is good but now it's getting abit ridculous... Hate me if you will...
    July 14th, 2008 at 11:40pm
  • Make_my_lover_stay

    Make_my_lover_stay (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I'm in total agreement with the comment below. I don't see the great deal. If you dont like the term 'God' in the pledge, then dont repeat it. If you don't like it on our currency, then dont use that either. Why does God have to be taken out of everything just because a minority of people dont believe in the concept? Religion and God was a major foundation in the creation of this country, whether you want it to be or not.
    July 14th, 2008 at 11:15pm
  • Static Age

    Static Age (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I personally agree with Spaztastic. If you don't like the fact that the Pledge of Allgiance has the words 'under God' in it, then don't say it. No one is going to force you to. And America was founded under Christianity, so recognizing that is nice. But I don't think we should change it just because people who aren't religious have a problem with it. What about the people who are religious?
    It's easier to give people the choice and just leave it the way it is.
    July 14th, 2008 at 11:09pm
  • Spaztastic

    Spaztastic (640)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I figure if you don't want it in there, don't say it. It's a free country and no one is forcing you to say it nor even stand. Plus, America [i]was[/i] founded on Christianity and it is nice to recognize our heritage. America was also founded on the belief you could practice any religion you want and don't have to say something you don't want. Like I said, don't say it then. No one is making you.
    July 14th, 2008 at 10:36pm
  • Olivia Colby

    Olivia Colby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think that everyone has a good point to their own reasoning as to whether God should be in the pledge. I being an Atheist didn't like saying under God, but I have a feeling it will never change. Therefore I made my own pledge, so I wouldn't have to say those things. I think anyone that disagrees with the pledge should do the same, because that allows what the country stands for. Freedom.
    July 14th, 2008 at 10:12pm