The Future of Journalism - Comments

  • the drupocalypse.:
    the internet is a lot bigger than a newspaper. i would think that would mean we would need more journalists.
    I agree with you in the respect that some one still needs to write the articles and stories that are posted online. Journalism isn't going away, it's just growing in a way that seems to freak out some people.
    December 20th, 2012 at 01:23am
  • I currently work for one of the best Schools of Journalism in the country and it is interesting to see the ways in which they've been adapting to the changing world of journalism.

    As a student, I'll be honest and say that I very rarely read physical newspapers. As part of a pilot program with my college, I got a free online subscription to the NY Times and had breaking news alerts sent to my phone. I definitely feel as though the world of journalism is going to become almost entirely media-based, which may not necessarily be a bad thing.
    December 5th, 2012 at 06:26am
  • To be honest with you I cannot speak for America but I can speak for the UK and for Oman. And in which cases newspapers and magazines will never become obsolete because firstly there will always be people who refuse to ebrace the change to new media and will not/do not use computers let alone go onto the internet there are still a lot of people who simply do not know how to use a computer. It will be at least 30 years before the majority can easily identify the tools in which to gather the news through the internet.

    Also newspapers are an ease of access for many users as in the Uk for example a lot of people travel by trains in the morning to work and back which gives them time where they cannot keep a steady signal for 3G or regular connectivity from mobile devices this means they cannot simply bring up the news on a mobile device, android, tablet or computer. So they will still need to have newspapers or magazines for journeys to make best use of the time spent on the journey familirasing themselfs with the days news.
    December 4th, 2012 at 05:48pm
  • This article was helpful since I just switched into a Journalism major.
    December 1st, 2012 at 06:41am
  • I just so happen to be a year away from obtaining my Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. Our school has needed to adjust its cirriculum to make up for the ever changing media. We're not only being trained on how to write for newspapers and magazines, but also how to edit/ write for online news.

    But journalism has a lot of other problems, as said by the below comments. The political biases in the U.S. media is atrocious, and it's poisoned our minds. And more journalists are needed, but the problem is (as I've heard from many editors who have spoken to our classes) they're having a hard time finding journalists who can tell a story. You can learn AP style and how to properly write a newspaper headline, but you're better off being a journalist who can really paint a picture and create a good story.

    I don't think journalism will ever go away, as long as there are things that need to get out to the public. It's just a matter (in my opinion) of reforming the way journalists present the media. There's a potential new story being born every day, but they're often the stories that get ignored and tossed aside for another Kardashian story or another untrue slight against the President.
    December 1st, 2012 at 01:08am
  • the internet is a lot bigger than a newspaper. i would think that would mean we would need more journalists.
    December 1st, 2012 at 12:58am
  • Well its true that internet access can limit access to information...but just look at the middle east, information is spreading faster and more easily. And true information too. Some people are limited, but that some seems to be getting smaller.

    At the same time looking at newspapers in Canada and the U.s. they have many of the same problems... atrocity tales over exaggerating a detail to make a story seem more horrific, or using personal moral outrage that ends up creating a moral panic in the public, and so many other things. There's just a lot of problems with the accessibility of random authors to seemingly legitimate portals of information...we end up getting people who don't know much telling other people who know even less what's going on in the world. Like my prof mentioned...the deaf leading the blind.

    It does look bright, just look at how much we know about the Arab Springs uprisings, the UN voting in countries, the American presidential election and natural disasters. There are problems though, of course, like America having a huge span with their widespread media on the world so their side of the story is told more often, like where are the Canadian elections? I feel so duped, I want to know about my own parliament to such a degree that I now know about America at least! haha :)

    We just have to be careful of bias and realize who is telling the story. Political interests are also involved. We also have to make sure that grade six writing style doesn't make its way into our information resources. Hopefully newspapers will become more academic. Progress rather than going backwards.

    Anyways, nice article, keep writing. Maybe one day you can be an informed voice for a lot of people. Just go towards the light. ;) and keep praying..hahaha. Like Obama said: if you weren't praying before you got into office, you will be.
    December 1st, 2012 at 12:30am
  • I don't think its particularly right to put 'the future of journalism doesn't look bright'. Actual journalism isn't going anywhere, its just being reformed into a new media; its the actual physical newspapers that are becoming obsolete.
    November 30th, 2012 at 11:56pm