Trees Need Hugs Anyway

Trees Need Hugs Anyway They provide vital things for others, whether of their own species or not. They are diverse and unique and serve as their own history books. Some grow to be famous, dominating, handsome, useful, inspirational or strong. Others are just good company. Some of them need a little extra help in order to survive. They face pollution, global warming, extinction, disease, pests, drought, habitat loss, and humans, as do we. Their societies often dwindle or thrive in an unpredictable pattern. Sound familiar yet?

To me, trees symbolize true strength, even when times are rough. They stand tall through thick and thin, and even if they fall, they will have done something beneficial for the world. A tree that dies will have served as a source of oxygen, food, shelter, shade, protection, water filtration, air conditioning and wind breaking. After it dies, it will become food for many creatures and mulch for soil. A new seed grows in the rich soil produced by the dead tree. And the circle of life continues.

When I think of nature and beauty, I envision strolling through a misty, lush green forest, breathing cool fresh air, and admiring tall canopies full of life. I see emerald fingertips brushing across the sun’s cheerful rays, creating a filter of light on the springy moss underfoot. The image soothes me and makes me feel at peace with the world. Trees spawn a harmony between a soul and a mind.

However, success is not based solely on appearance. Without our leafy friends overhead, we would not have over 5,000 of the products we use in our everyday lives. Furniture, paper, fishing floats, paint, toothpaste, shoe polish, tires and photographic film would be no more. Say goodbye to glass, football helmets, shampoo, cider, railroad ties, buttons, candy wrappers, guitars, fireworks, toilet seats and thousands of other items. Crops that benefit from the rich soil produced with the help of trees would suffer tremendously. Breakfast plates would be considerably empty, for there would not be nearly as much fruit, jam, gum, tea, oil, nuts or syrup. There would be no cool shade on a hot summer day. Many essential medicines would be gone. Thank goodness trees are still standing tall.

Different trees have materials used for making different things. Maple trees are famous for the sweet syrup from their sap. Around wintertime, White Pines and White Spruces are cut and used as Christmas trees. Cork is harvested from the bark of the Cork Oak. The medicine L-Dopa for treating Parkinson's Disease uses the root of the Chaste tree.

It is a good thing that there are resources that give so much and need very little in return. The only thing they require from us is a little room. After all, trees support our economy. It is only fair we return the favor.

Latest articles