Pit bulls-Enemies or Loving Friends? - Comments

  • Bright_Eyes

    Bright_Eyes (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I love Pit Bulls I have two, Annie is a pit rottie Mix and mioana is a pit bull. They are the sweetest dogs anyone could ask for and it just goes to show don't give a breed a bad rap. Because these dogs with the right care,excersize, and love can be the world's greatest family pets. They're great with kids which is a bonus *thumbs up* =D No dog a naturally evil, just the way it's raised shows the out come of the dog.
    February 27th, 2009 at 08:40pm
  • DasiFax

    DasiFax (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    I am totally against Breed Specific Legislation, it punishes the wrong end of the leash, it is the owners fauly. But no body stops to see that, rather go for the easy option which is to punish the dog which was disposed to this "agression" by its owner. Even if they do eradicate Pit Bulls, those sick masohistic egotistical ass holes are going to pick another breed to turn agressive, what are they going to ban that breed too?

    People are so stupid sometimes.
    January 3rd, 2009 at 11:27am
  • Throw.My.Faith

    Throw.My.Faith (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    The fact that Pit bulls were breed for fighting bears, badgers, etc. hundreds of years ago does not make them human aggressive dogs now. Pit bulls aren't necessarily a vicious breed. Its common sense that obviously a pitbull trained to fight is more aggressive then one that is not. I also believe that a pup who's parents are fighting dogs are more likely to be human aggressive then a pups parent's who are not fighting dogs. My dog however is a lab/pit bull mix and there is nothing about her that would allude someone to thinking she was a pit bull with out me telling them. Pit bulls personalities differ from dog to dog that doesn't mean they are all bad dogs. The only time you hear about pit bulls is when you hear about dog fighting rings or a pit who has bitten someone. So that's all anyone who hasn't done research on the breed knows. which is a shame because Pit bulls can be wonderful dogs. They are called nanny dogs for their tolerance for children which should say something about the breed. The breed has also been used as therapy dogs, search and rescue dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, and in the early 20th century they were the number 1 dog breed in a America owned by families.
    January 3rd, 2009 at 02:49am
  • Iago-Disco

    Iago-Disco (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    [i]Pit bulls have been bread for hundreds of years for the purpose of fighting, they breed them to be as agressive as possible. Any pitbull you get now will have that implanted in its head, I think its possible but not easy to get that out of them. Im sorry but its in their nature.[/i]

    Here we finally have a bit of sense emerge. You see, they're actually right. Pit Bulls were bred to fight bears and other animals in 'pits'. The outcome of the fight was wagered on. BRED.

    They are aggressive by nature (the part of their brain responsible for agression is actually over-developed)). Their jaws are extremely strong and, when killed or knocked out, the muscles clench harder rather than relaxing. This makes them incredibly dangerous, more so than possibly any other legal breed of dog.

    Many users have gotten nice and rightoues and made claims like 'it's the owners fault'... and of course often their right... but the fact remains that a badly treated poodle is just annoying while a badly treated pit bull is quite deadly.

    As for the rather overstated claim that banning pitbulls was the equivelant of genocide... well firstly i find that laughable... I mean, do you consider the eradication of feral rabbits 'genocide'.. No of course you wouldn't, thats crazy. They are incredibly bad for the enviroment and have caused the deaths of thousands of native species (both flora and fauna).
    Secondly, they are pets. This means they can't function on their own. We aren't destroying another culture or causing the extinction of a naturally created species. The proposal is simply to ban the further purchase of the animals... which makes perfect sense... and i wasn't aware they were talking about putting pitbulls down, but that makes sense as well, especially when the number of pit-bull related maulings recently are considered..

    Think with your head.

    Gabe
    December 26th, 2008 at 08:32am
  • PokerFace25

    PokerFace25 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    i love all dogs... idc whatever people think of them.
    December 25th, 2008 at 12:33am
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I have two pitt bulls and I can't help but laugh at the people who are misinformed enough to think they're naturally aggressive =] Great Article
    December 23rd, 2008 at 06:20pm
  • harmless-catastrophe

    harmless-catastrophe (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Pit bulls have been bread for hundreds of years for the purpose of fighting, they breed them to be as agressive as possible. Any pitbull you get now will have that implanted in its head, I think its possible but not easy to get that out of them. Im sorry but its in their nature.
    December 23rd, 2008 at 04:36pm
  • quinn.

    quinn. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    Australia
    Pit bulls are actually banned in some states in Australia.
    I believe that you can have a pit bull that is nice natured.
    But just as greyhounds more than other breeds instinctively chase anything that moves, pit bulls are instinctively agressive dogs.
    end of story, stop being so over dramatic.
    December 23rd, 2008 at 04:08pm
  • cyanide cola.

    cyanide cola. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Pit Bulls, like most people have said, are loyal, brave and loving.

    If the dog is violent it's the owner's fault for bringing it up to be like that.
    December 23rd, 2008 at 02:18pm
  • Spyder Venom

    Spyder Venom (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    pit bulls are such lovely dogs! they are fun! a friend of mine had one but because the law saying that all pitbulls are banned in england took place she had to have it put down

    your right though. it is the trainers fault
    December 23rd, 2008 at 10:23am
  • SomeGirlOnTheNet

    SomeGirlOnTheNet (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Pit Bulls are a loyal, brave and smart dog, but I agree with the ban. Yes, much of it has to do with the owners, but I still agree with the ban. In my eyes, the breed is still too volatile.
    December 23rd, 2008 at 09:47am
  • Bygeera

    Bygeera (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    I love pit bulls. I have a friend who has one named chloe. She's amazing. If you train them right and give them to a good owner, they'll be amazing family dogs. It is the owners treatment of the animal. A golden retriever could be just as mean as a fighting pit bull if you treat it bad. Its the owner, not the animal.
    December 23rd, 2008 at 08:07am
  • Perfectly Imperfect

    Perfectly Imperfect (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Pitbulls are one of the most intelligent breed of dogs you will find out there. Their loyalty is also one of their major traits, the only other breed of dog that seconds them in that field is the Golden Retreiver.

    Given the right home and a bit of patience (they're active little things) they can turn into one of the most loyal, trusting, and loving dog.

    My aunts dog is a great example
    December 23rd, 2008 at 05:45am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I agree with what you're saying, but the article sucks. It's waaaay too dramatic.
    December 23rd, 2008 at 04:33am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Most pit bulls are trained to be dangerous. Many people who own pit bulls train them for the illegal fighting rings and when the pit bull escapes they attack people that they think are threatening them because they were abused.
    December 23rd, 2008 at 04:21am
  • Vacant Eyes

    Vacant Eyes (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    yeah i kno it sucks that people blame the dogs

    like my mom! we have a neighbor with a pitbull and when it gets into our yard my mom wont let our dog near it i try to explain but she always blames the breed
    December 23rd, 2008 at 04:20am
  • damaged goods

    damaged goods (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    "Another reason they get bad coverage is because people are too ignorant to see the truth that it is not the dog's fault, but whoever raised them's fault instead."

    Amen<3
    December 23rd, 2008 at 04:06am
  • thefixthatihate

    thefixthatihate (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I have a pit bull/staffie mix, and you know what? *I* would be more likely to bite someone than she would be. She's quite possibly the most genuinely good-hearted dog I've ever seen, and she spends most of her time either playing outside or laying her head on my lap.

    This bill is outrageous. But hopefully, it will not pass...
    December 23rd, 2008 at 03:54am
  • TheLastAmericanGirl

    TheLastAmericanGirl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Canada
    I honestly don't know what is wrong with people. Discriminating against an animal because they 'look scary' is just the same as discriminating against a person with certain skin colour. The reason pit-bulls are made out to be a 'dangerous' dog is because of what the media has said about them. They only broadcast what happened when some kid got attacked by some pit-bull. But the same is to be said about other breeds of dogs. Rottweilers's and Doberman Pincher's are also dogs that many people are scared of, because of the reputation they have. I know a couple of weeks ago me and my mom were driving, and keep in mind i live in Canada and it's cold, and there was this Rottweiler running down the road and my mom said 'sorry, i'm not stopping to get him' just because he was a Rottweiler. I agree that it's possible that he could have been dangerous, but chances are that he wasn't. Even if he was dangerous, i would have taken my chances to get him out of the cold. I agree though, if a dog's parents were naturally agressive and it had nothing to do with the owners, then it might be possible for the offspring of that dog to be aggressive. But people still shouldn't assume things. It's just as possible for any other dog to attack someone. Labrador's have also been known to attack people. You don't see people discriminating other dogs do you?
    December 23rd, 2008 at 03:53am
  • shake.the.horror

    shake.the.horror (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    its true with dogs its how you raise it that defines if its going to attack. You could have a poodle that's vicious or even a border collie. I've had boxers since I was a baby and we've had neighbors that have told us that we should out one of them down because "she was a pitbull and was going to attack" when she was really just a white boxer that was a bit spaztic. She was probably one of the best dogs you could have and once the neighbors saw that they were like "Ooooh" and if you're going to ban Pitbulls then the next thing you know they'll be banning all kinds of other dogs... It makes no sense
    December 23rd, 2008 at 03:05am