Pedigree: Incest In The Animal Kingdom? - Comments

  • daisyfairy

    daisyfairy (495)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Thankyou to the people who comented nice things,
    thankyou to the critisizes too, I have taken every comment on board.
    And the age and that of the dog, was the reason that I had written the arctile, thats all,
    and we didn't get him form a breeder or anything, a family friend couldn't look after him anymore so we had him.
    Anyway, thanks for commenting,
    I shall hope my next try is better,
    even though I am kindof scared to post again now,
    but whatever 8]
    January 16th, 2009 at 07:04pm
  • RiverChild

    RiverChild (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    poor doggies D:
    If I ever get a dog, I want a mut.
    Aren't muts/mixes healthier and live longer?
    January 3rd, 2009 at 06:44am
  • ravegirl.

    ravegirl. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I understand what you're saying, but hopefully once breeders understood the risk of injury they would try to reduce the amount of inbreeding to as small as possible.

    Anyways, in my case, purebreds are much more aggressive than mixes.
    I'd take a mix over a purebred any day.
    January 3rd, 2009 at 06:35am
  • evie may.

    evie may. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    New Zealand
    This happens naturally too, by the way.
    January 3rd, 2009 at 02:37am
  • Throw.My.Faith

    Throw.My.Faith (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Did you get your dog from a pet store or a breeder? A lot of petstores get their dogs from puppy mills, puppy mills have a tendency to inbreed dogs. Most reputable breeders will not inbreed their dogs for the exact reason of the health issues that ensue.
    January 3rd, 2009 at 02:15am
  • fool's paradise

    fool's paradise (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    What does the dog's age and real name have to do with in-breeding? The beginning of your article made no sense to me.
    January 3rd, 2009 at 01:47am
  • Gibbers

    Gibbers (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    that reminds me of 'royal' families in the middle ages. the families of power all wanted to keep the power in their family so they all ended up marrying their cousins. they had problems with internal bleeding from the incest and one guy got cured with hypnosis. that was kinda off topic, but it was a connection.....
    January 3rd, 2009 at 01:04am
  • Freaka.

    Freaka. (220)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I think the whole idea of "pedigree" dogs is grotesque. Like being superior for having "purer" bloodlines.
    It all sounds a bit royal families of the 1800s to me.
    And a wee bit Harry Potter with the wizarding families.
    My aunt and uncle have a pedigree Poodle and she's dying now. :( Maybe that's why I'm a bit upset.
    January 3rd, 2009 at 12:23am
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    You need to check your breeder.

    Good pedigree breeders will try and make sure sisters don't breed with brothers and parents don't breed with offspring, as it does produce inferior offspring. Also, the best kind of pedigree breeder is the kind who will be raising the puppies/kittens with the idea of them being pets in mind, not forms of income.

    It could be that your particular chosen breed has more interbreeding in it, as I assume you have done your homework here (you seem to feel very strongly about it). Dalmatians have a lot of health problems too - it sort of puts me off buying pedigree.

    I'm looking into buying a Maine Coon kitten myself, and from all the internet surfing I've done there seem to be some very good systems in place to prevent sibling/parent interbreeding.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 10:50pm
  • This Is My Farewell

    This Is My Farewell (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    yeah sorry but that was a pretty bad article. dogs inbreeding isnt the same as human. its not like they know what they're doing. alot of times too inbreeding can be helpful to the breed. if they are both healthy the puppy isnt going to come out like some 'hills have eyes' deformed dog. its going to be a healthy puppy with the characteristics of its parents. they do the same thing with horses and other animals. it's how you get a winning dog.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 10:15pm
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    One of my dogs was sold to us as a purebred boxer, but the older he got, we noticed he actually looked like a mix of a boxer and and I think a pit bull? Yeah, a pit bull. And when the breeder called to check up on him, and see how he was doing, we asked who she had bred and she admitted to breeding with another type of dog to prevent inbreeding. Which I was happy about.
    And, you should edit this.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 10:09pm
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    If you get purebreds from puppy mills then yes something can go wrong. But if you get them from a respectable breeder chances are they'll be happy and healthy. Respectable breeders try their best to keep inbreeding to a minimum.
    Dogs don't know who they're breeding with most time.
    You really should have done a bit more research on this before submitting it.
    This article was scattered and your point to it was hard to find. I think the point to this article got a bit lost. These thoughts weren't organized in a logical order.
    Also try and watch your spelling. You spelled your dogs name differently when it came up after the first time.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 06:23pm
  • SuperGeek

    SuperGeek (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Did you really not think purebreds would be inbred? Seriously, I see the point you're trying to make, but it comes across as if they did this to insult you personally.

    Next time you submit an article, do a little research, please? Dogs don't know who they're breeding with. They don't exactly have higher reasoning skills, you know.

    Reputable sellers do their best to minimize inbreeding. There will be some, but the sire and dam will not be from the same litter.

    Please, check your grammar and spelling. It was hard to follow. 'Except' should be 'accept', your dog's name was spelled differently each time it appeared, and your thoughts were organized in no logical order. Try making an outline next time to help you put those thoughts in order.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 05:40pm
  • The Way

    The Way (1400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    17
    Location:
    Philippines
    The dogs don't really care who they're mating with 0_0
    My friend's Husky mated with his 'mum' and produced EIGHT healthy puppies. Pure bred.

    Secondly, your article was very scattered and messy. It's confusing to see what point you're trying to make.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 08:49am
  • Fine.China

    Fine.China (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Well...
    I had no idea about this... Nasty X[

    And by ex ma, did you mean excema?
    January 2nd, 2009 at 08:37am
  • Thiscouldbetheend

    Thiscouldbetheend (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Sorry, I spelled the dog's name wrong as well. Delaroody or Delaroddy. Haha
    January 2nd, 2009 at 06:33am
  • Thiscouldbetheend

    Thiscouldbetheend (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I don't want to sound harsh, but before you submit something, be sure you edit it. You had a lot of errors such as the spelling of your dog's real name, once it was Delroody and the next it was Delroddy. Kind of confusing. Oh, and make sure your word choices make sense, like except means like unless and in this case it should be accept, like the incest is accepted in pedigrees.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 06:31am
  • Susan Horak

    Susan Horak (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    If you get pedegree dog from dog mills a lot can go wrong and most of the time will be inbreeding. If you go to a respectible dog breeder that specializes in a certain breed there is going to be minimul inbreeding. They may have the same liniage as one of the parents but probably not on both.
    January 2nd, 2009 at 06:21am