Whatever Happened To Grammar And Spelling? - Comments

  • I hate it when people write like that! I was reading this one story on Quizilla once, that my friend told me awesome (LIES). Had the writer used correct grammer, it would take like, 2 minutes to read, if that. It took me half an hour to read it, since it was in text talk.
    September 3rd, 2010 at 10:35pm
  • I never, ever, ever, ever, use chatspeak. It's like I'm some sort of weirdo.

    Anyway, 9 year olds that love Hannah Montana can't even spell at school, so why bother? Some people will never learn!
    February 5th, 2009 at 11:17pm
  • well it pretty nomral to write some words shorter but now using capitals and those thigns it's just a waste fo time in m,y opinion no reason to do so now some people(including me ) when they type fast they making spelling errors
    February 5th, 2009 at 06:39am
  • Okay, I didn’t even have to read half of the article and I already praise it. I was on another writing website and I read an entire story that was full of text speak, numbers being placed in the middle of a word, replacing ‘I’ and ‘E’ with ‘Y’ and silly things like that and adding extra letters to the end of each word. I told this to the author, reminding her that it was a writing site, not MSN, and she messaged me back, still in chat speak, basically telling me to ‘F’ off. About fifteen other people said the same thing, and what does she go and do, write a sequel. I just think its acting stupid more than anything, it doesn’t impress anyone.
    Also my friends take the Mick because I constantly write properly now, always, on Mibba, on Myspace and on MSN (Wow, that’s a lot of ‘M’s) because I don’t like having to sit there for hours trying to work out what one sentence is trying to say.
    December 21st, 2008 at 04:55pm
  • yo wth. dun h8 on ppl dat lyk to use ch4tspk onlin3 lyk itz not skewl dat we hav 2 kare wut we rit! i meen srsly hu r u 2 kare so muc abt gramar n all dat shyt.

    OKAY. WOW. That took A LOT of effort to type. I kept writing it correctly, and then had to go back and make a mistake. Odd. Well I completely agree with your article, as I am a grammar freak that hates it when people type just like I typed above. Good job =)


    PS. I don't type like that!!
    October 7th, 2008 at 02:10am
  • Great article!

    And I agree. I tried briefly to use text language when I typed, but it just slowed me up by an incredible amount. I'm a touch typer now because of how much I use my computer, so trying to figure out where to put numbers and such just hampers me.

    I think "U" is where I slip up, but I would never use a substitute which had the same number of letters. That's just crazy.
    July 13th, 2008 at 08:58pm
  • I LOVE your point. It's not exactly great in the classroom either. I had to edit a friend's paper and it was horrible.
    July 13th, 2008 at 09:32am
  • Yet again, it's only something that the person can change in themselves.
    Amen.
    I don't like it very much.
    My friends and I use it when IMing, texting or passing notes in class. (<-- Only because my teachers are ancient and don't know what we're saying, which actually saves us numerous detentions. ^^)

    But personally, I'm in love with IM faces. And it's good outside of class (not counting notes), school, etc etc. I don't have a problem with it unless the person using it is arguing and expects to be taken seriously... how do you take a rebuttal or smart-alek retort seriously when you see it riddled with: 'srlsy', 'lol', 'omg', 'stfu' and countless others?

    You don't have to be smart, hell, you don't have to be dumb to use it. It's just something we use... shorthand's not [i]bad[/i]... it's just annoying after a while is all. When trying to seem professional, though, I would advise you to [i]not[/i] to use chatspeak/shorthand.
    July 12th, 2008 at 12:11am
  • Yeah I agree. I had to edit this one paper in class and it amazed me that she was too lazy to write out the word you. or definitly. I'm not the best speller out there. I'm dreadful at it, but I do know about dictionary.com! You don't have to be smart to use proper grammer, but when you do use it, it makes you seem smarter.
    July 10th, 2008 at 11:29pm
  • And why should we?
    Does it make you smarter?
    I don't know every word out there, I don't evven know alot.
    YET! I have two AP [advanced placement] and all honors classes.
    July 10th, 2008 at 05:23pm
  • nobody in the world speaks their languange thouroughly. Nobody knows every word in their dictionary
    July 9th, 2008 at 11:50am
  • Vocabulary is decreasing as well.
    It startles me when I think about how little of the English language I actually [i]do[/i] know. Words like esoteric and abeyance are ones that I've just [i]now[/i] heard of.
    July 9th, 2008 at 08:27am
  • Prime example ; YouTube.
    It has the worst grammar I've ever seen.
    This needed to be done. Sometimes I do it, but not seriously.
    July 9th, 2008 at 08:27am
  • OMG lKy ILl TypE THE wAY I wANNa TypE LKY U bitch!

    Heheee just kidding
    I honestly can't BEAR people who "tlk lyk dis". I only ever use and accept chatspeak when I'm texting a long message due to it's limited space.
    July 9th, 2008 at 04:47am
  • Bravo. Very well written.

    HOWEVER, the only time I use chatspeak is when I'm texting and have limited space... I only get 100 spaces so I have to shorten words.
    July 9th, 2008 at 03:31am
  • Agreed.

    Though sometimes I do talk in 'chat speak' on the WAYT thread. Being goofy there though. Never anything serious.

    It is mindnumbingly annoying to see people type like that all the time.
    July 9th, 2008 at 03:26am
  • BUT WHY DOES IT MATTER!?
    So what if some people type like that.
    Yea I use these: <3 <666 hawt gawd ain't. SO WHAT!
    Does it matter? If it annoys you so much then don't read it! You're not forced to read it.
    OMG WOW! Not being force to read things.
    Reminds me of my rant in my journals.

    Of and p.s. Posin:
    " I'm actually kind of the opposite to cupcak3"
    What's wrong with cupcake with a 3?
    July 9th, 2008 at 03:22am
  • THANK YOU.

    I totally agree. It gets on my nerves when "ppl r alwayz typin lyke thiz"

    Seriously, it takes 0.1564 seconds more to type out the full words.
    July 9th, 2008 at 03:05am
  • Oh my god.
    This is sheer genius; I've been saying that for years!
    I know exactly what you're saying...
    And I can't even come up with anything else to say other than that.

    [i]Bravo![/i]
    July 9th, 2008 at 03:02am
  • I agree with basically everything you said. I personally never really realised how horrible my grammar and spelling was until I went on this site. Though I have been working on it and must admit I have improved. But at school I have noticed that many people in my class have no clue how to use grammar or to spell words properly. Most, though very intelligent have a 'D' grade average and mostly it is because of their spelling.

    I realised that I have not been properly taught grammar since my third year of school when I was eight and they completely ignored teaching us proper spelling in highschool, instead caring more about essay structure saying we should already have learnt that stuff when clearly we hadn't.

    I am nearly eighteen and have taken it upon myself to improve because I have noticed that the school system doesn't care about that element anymore.
    July 9th, 2008 at 03:02am