Racism and Sexism in Politics - Comments

  • Spirit-rockstar

    Spirit-rockstar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree it was pathetic.People was giving me the stank eye when I was second guessing who I saw fit. I wanted someone who could do good and make this country a better place.The opposite of Bush.
    September 18th, 2009 at 05:15am
  • erin.whatserface.

    erin.whatserface. (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Fiji
    I agree with you entirely, but this article could have (and should have) been longer, with more support. Your point would have been better made.
    June 22nd, 2009 at 05:28pm
  • pseudonym.

    pseudonym. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Romania
    THANK YOU SO MUCH.
    It's so pathetic that we're worried more about the candidates' ties to certain minorities, when we should be focusing on how qualified they are for the job.

    I roll my eyes at people who still freak out that Obama won "because he's part African".
    May 8th, 2009 at 09:52pm
  • Bea_Tully

    Bea_Tully (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Australia
    yes, thankyou so much!
    why is it that the first two women that make it as successful politicians, turn out to be complete retards and effectivley discredit their own sex politically?
    No wonder men are so warey of having a woman president, if I thought that all women in politics were like Hilary Clinton and Sarah Palin I would be too!
    April 23rd, 2009 at 09:50am
  • nerdy_

    nerdy_ (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I have an idea that involves a box and a voice changer. Of course, it probably wouldn't work that great...

    Anyway, sexism, racism, and all the other isms all play into elections. The smart people vote for whomever is the best suited for the job while the idiots normally pick someone they like -- which usually is whoever has the most attractive appearance. A case in point is the election between Nixon and Kennedy. Kennedy won many of the middle-aged female votes because he was "better-looking."


    People [i]should[/i] exclude race, gender, etc. while voting, but many don't. So yes, American politics really are as affected by racism and sexism as we think.
    September 28th, 2008 at 02:40am
  • Fortune.

    Fortune. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah, gender and race are major issues in this election. I'm a black person and if I could vote, I would vote for Barack Obama, not because we are in the same race, but because I’m a democrat. I think this country needs a change, not that I’m against light colored people.

    Even though I am a female, I don’t thin Sarah Palin was the right choice at all. Just because she lives in the closest part of the U.S. to Russia doesn’t mean she has international experience. Apparently, McCain’s wife thinks that because of that factor, Palin does have the experience.
    September 24th, 2008 at 03:40am
  • once more.radio nerd

    once more.radio nerd (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    Philippines
    Honestly I am not a big fan of Palin.

    She doesn't have that much experience, and who knows how much she can take?
    She already has a crazy personal life, how will she be with a whole country to handle? Besides, it should be about the President (mostly) and their ideas.

    I get your point and hopefully people will not vote for McCain just because he has a female VP
    September 19th, 2008 at 01:03pm
  • The Guitar Man

    The Guitar Man (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah, they play a big role.

    The best example is earlier in this election during and before the primaries. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama both pulled their respective card countless time.
    Hillary Clinton pulled the Gender-card, claiming other cantidates, voters, reporters, and Obama...were all discriminating against her becaue she was female.
    Barack Obama, the same thing; the race card was played countless times.

    There are people who will only vote for a cantidate because they fit in with them physically.

    Even so, I think it's more of an isxsue that the cantidates will use this for themselves, as an excuse for criticism and other people's distaste of them...If the cantidates are prone to doing this, why should the American people become accepting in the first place? It's obvious that the cantidates don't believe in America as much as they say, if they're willing to do things like that so openly.
    September 17th, 2008 at 04:15pm
  • psychogirl

    psychogirl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree, You shouldn't vote because of race or gender.
    September 15th, 2008 at 01:55am
  • No Regrets

    No Regrets (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Romance...

    Just thought I'd mention... I know Margaret Thatcher's grandson =)
    I went to school with him lol
    September 14th, 2008 at 08:06pm
  • Spaztastic

    Spaztastic (640)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    [i]Gas would shoot up even more, and things like the war and everything would only get worse.[/i]
    ^ You do know gas went up after the Democrats took over the House right?

    Plus, gas has been going down (it was $3.87 where I live) before the hurricane hit. Now it's back over $4 but that's because oil refineries are being destroyed in Texas.

    Also, anyone could die any day. Either of them could get shot or choke on food. Or get some disease that kills them in a few months. Of course, those would not be nice ways to go.
    September 14th, 2008 at 06:26pm
  • Edward Cullen14

    Edward Cullen14 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Yes. There may be some people only voting for those reasons. But alot of people are voting because they want change. If I could vote, I would vote for Obama. And its not just because hes black. I watch his speeches, and listen to what he is for. And I belive he can do alot better than Mccain.

    I agree with the few down there. There will always be racism and sexism in politics. But I choose Obama anyday. Because the only reason Mccain got the women, is so he could get votes, which I think is down right wrong. Not only that, he would lead us well. He lead us into a deeper whole like Bush has. Gas would shoot up even more, and things like the war and everything would only get worse.

    And I dont know if many have noticed, he looks like he could die anyday. Im not trying to be negative but it does. And he doesnt talk about anything in his speeches but how obama isnt meant to lead. He doesnt talk about the facts, the things we want done, Obama tells what hes going to do. Mccains commerical just says Obamas not ready to lead. So Obama all the way.

    Very well written. But those two things will always i mean ALWAYS be in politics.
    September 14th, 2008 at 06:02pm
  • Spaztastic

    Spaztastic (640)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    There are blacks in my area that are only voting for Obama for that reason...
    They don't even know what his politics are. They didn't even know he's the senator of Illinois which is where we live! Not of blacks, but some for sure.

    I also know of some women who have moved to McCain because of Palin.

    Not a great magnitude of people vote that way - I sure didn't chose who I would vote for that way (at first I was a supporter of Obama but changed when I hear nothing I wanted to hear come out of his mouth. He surely hasn't lowered taxed in Illinois...) - but there are some who do it by gender and race.
    September 14th, 2008 at 05:41pm
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree. But the truth is, some women will stray to McCain just because he has a female VP. What I don't get is, why Sarah Palin? I'm sure there are other women Republicans with foreign policy. Good gosh, I hope McCain doesn't croak if he gets elected.
    September 14th, 2008 at 04:45pm
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Voting for women just because they're women doesn't work. Maggie Thatcher proved that very nicely for us Brits.
    September 14th, 2008 at 03:51pm
  • bravette

    bravette (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with Kurtni St. Cyr.
    Racisism and Sexism is always there. In politics. in books in everyday life.
    But i think you did VERY well on the article. And i completley agre with you
    September 14th, 2008 at 03:30pm
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    "How many women out there were going to vote for Hillary but switched to McCain because he has Palin? My guess is quite a few."

    Leading political analysts didn't guess- the conducted surveys and polls, and they showed that hardly any women are doing that. I think you exaggerated in this article quite a bit. Racism and sexism will always play a role in politics, but not to the magnitude I think you expressed in this article.
    September 14th, 2008 at 03:16pm