Cutting : Act for Attention or Plea for Help? - Comments

  • ToTieBinds

    ToTieBinds (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    Cutting has been around since the 1950s? .-.


    Source, please?
    November 3rd, 2008 at 12:41am
  • sheraba

    sheraba (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Canada
    Honestly, I think this is an amazing article. People should look things up and do research, just like you did. This article made my day, because it shows you did your research. And I, like you, used to cut side-to-side. Not because I wanted attention, but because I actually lost two people who were close to me and a third had a stroke. So even if some people do it for attention, there are those of us who have depression, and do it because of that, and I thank you for writing this informative and researched article. There are too many people who say that cutting is a plea for attention, but some people, like you, are different. And for that, I thank you.
    October 26th, 2008 at 01:10am
  • blastxthemusicxfob

    blastxthemusicxfob (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    good article, i think it's good someone is saying something that's not "cutting is crying for attention, nothing else, blah blah blah" and you did your research too, that's really cool. you sould write more articles, i'd like to hear what you have to say, lol. =)
    October 9th, 2008 at 03:22am
  • elegant crimes.

    elegant crimes. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I agree so much on this. When I did it, I didn't let people know for ages. Most people keep it to themselves. If they don't tell anyone, then how is it a plea for attention?
    October 7th, 2008 at 06:30pm
  • mindless

    mindless (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Norway
    It was a very well written article. I think it's good that people write about cutting, even though there are many articles, it means people do care and they try to help. And that people care is a very good thing! Of course some people cut for attention, but I think everyone who does has some sort of problems too. You just don't do it out of the blue, they all have their reasons, stupid or not.

    So keep careing for other people, it's a great ability to have!
    October 6th, 2008 at 10:39am
  • born this way;

    born this way; (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I have to say, that's a hard topic to talk about.
    I've had depression for the last 4 years, and it's never been easy. There was a period of time when it got really bad, and I, like many others starting cutting and others way to self harm. It wasn't that I wanted attention, it was just so I could feel something. But, after people found out, I knew I needed help. Because for a little while, I wanted to die. That was really up to a short while ago.
    What most people don't understand is that depression doesn't just go away. It's a part of you, everyday for the rest of your life. It's something you learn to control and learn to work past, but it's never completely gone. I've been working on my depression for a while now, but I still have my bad days and I have many good days.
    People just need to realize that different people do different things for different reasons...and that depression doesn't just go away.
    October 6th, 2008 at 06:38am
  • krista loves you!

    krista loves you! (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Most people don't try and bring attention to themselves. Like what I did, I'd constantly be wearing my jacket or a long sleeve shirt. Even hide them with my own body. There are alot of posers, but if you really do that, then you hide.

    As for the whole 'live life cutting' thing, I'll try and answer that the best I can. Sometimes It's the only way to ignore the immense emotional pain. To me, emotional pain is the worst pain someone can feel. Physical goes away in a small amount of time, but emotional...it can stay there for years. Sometimes people feel numb and want to feel SOMETHING rather than nothing.

    Yeah, that's all I can think of right now. Hope that helped atleast a little.
    October 6th, 2008 at 02:51am
  • Paint The Roses Red

    Paint The Roses Red (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Alright. I lost people that I loved, my life has drastically changed, I've been totally stressed about school, I've been in a HUGE fight with all of my friends, I've had my family look down at me, I've had my heart broken a few times. I've never cut myself in my life. My used-to-be friend cuts herself and she's posing. Most of the cutters in my school are posing. Everyone thinks that if you cut, you're cool. It's posing and posing to me, is getting attention. The friend fakes panic attacks and injuries. Cutting is another thing she does for attention. And who would live life cutting? Not trying to be mean or anything, but if you are in emotional and physical pain, why live? If you're not going to deal with the pain, just don't live and stop trying to bring attention to yourself.
    October 5th, 2008 at 11:19pm
  • n00b

    n00b (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    how about everyone stops wrting articles about suicide and cutting for once.
    seriously people lets get a little more original.
    October 5th, 2008 at 05:43am
  • krista loves you!

    krista loves you! (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I have just joined yesterday, there are really so many articles like this?

    But I have to say, thank you guys. This was my first article EVER, so I was worried what people would say about how it was written.
    October 5th, 2008 at 03:33am
  • Opium.Rainbows

    Opium.Rainbows (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    It was good, though there are too many of these articles. It's kinda lame.
    October 5th, 2008 at 03:10am
  • mia bell.

    mia bell. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    100
    Location:
    Australia
    I did an article outlining the attention thing and what I was trying to say was that is was actually a cry for help.

    A very well written article, I must say.
    October 5th, 2008 at 02:57am
  • Scene Kid; Feel Sick

    Scene Kid; Feel Sick (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    there are way to many artical about the same thing....
    October 5th, 2008 at 02:16am
  • Gibbers

    Gibbers (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Great article, I never thought of cutting as an attention plea, maybe it's a way to ask for help to some people, but I think that would be just too extreme just to get attention.
    October 4th, 2008 at 08:08pm
  • dexter

    dexter (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Argentina
    This is the first article on cutting that I bothered to read.
    Thank you for writing this.
    The article was amazing. =)
    October 4th, 2008 at 07:51pm
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Well written article.
    My friend used to cut and I asked her why. She said she did it to feel something. She always felt numb. She wanted to release the pain, to distract herself of what she was feeling if even for a short while.
    October 4th, 2008 at 07:15pm
  • Freaka.

    Freaka. (220)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Hells yeah. Great article, well written, although I wouldn't mind some of the sources of the stats.
    Really good. : )
    October 4th, 2008 at 07:07pm
  • Insane_Girl

    Insane_Girl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I really like your article. A good percentage of people who cut DO do it for attention or it's a plea for help. I used to cut for both. Now, my parents reject me and truely hate me. They...they just don't understand. If my parents could have read this, maybe things would be different. But, I have stopped cutting all by myself and it was hard. I did it for my baby brother who will be born in Febuary. I don't his mind to warped and...I don't want to go through what I did....Thank you so much for getting the message out there.
    ~Insane
    October 4th, 2008 at 05:19pm
  • Steffy Michelle

    Steffy Michelle (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    It surprises me how many people write about cutting, suicide, etc...
    I think every week at least someone writes about it and why they do it :/
    it' starting to get on my nerves, I think everyone already knows that not a cry for attention for them and they just want help...
    But what pisses me off more than anything in those articles is that they make it seem like it's no big deal, like it's normal do to that to your body.
    Oh trust me, you do. Instead of helping those people and telling them they need help, because they obviously do. No, what you're doing is making it seem normal and making the people that look at you weirdly for doing it, you make them sound abnormal. Which is not right.

    Just had to get that out.
    October 4th, 2008 at 04:48pm
  • iinfamous

    iinfamous (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    All of that seems true but there are many levels of depression and attention and the cutting is based on those levels. I knew two girls who cut themselves. Both said their lives were miserable and suffered from depression. Both were depressed but when I looked at their families, their parents were the nicest parents anyone could be for a child.
    Honestly, the way I see it, all of it is a form of attention. Whether it be for parents, friends, or even yourself. It all also depends on how others find out. One of my friends told me and just about everyone else, so everyone gave her the overly emo label. While my other friend told one or two people, and it just leaked out over time so she received a less harsh label for it.
    -/endramble-
    October 4th, 2008 at 04:02pm