Trick Or Treating, Is It Really SAFE? - Comments

  • TheMadGinger

    TheMadGinger (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I think that if you have little kids, either go with them or send a responsible, trusted teenager with them. Let them have some fun, but keep them safe. Send a cell phone and maybe even some pepper spray.
    August 27th, 2009 at 04:01am
  • Light In The Tunnel

    Light In The Tunnel (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    My parents always made me walk around with them, and I was with my friend's parents when I went trick-or-treating with her. The parents don't even have to come up to the door. As long as they're watching near enough to stop anything bad from happening, and as long as they warn their kid of what not to do, I think the kids would be fine.

    Of course, if they're really little, the parents should go up to the door.
    April 24th, 2009 at 04:49pm
  • Margaret Monday

    Margaret Monday (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Those of you saying being watched constantly is not fun I agree with you fully, but letting little kids such as ages 5 and 6 wander around in a strange neighborhood by themselves or even with others they're age is dangerous. Parents could have the older siblings go with them. Safety in numbers.
    December 2nd, 2008 at 07:02pm
  • emily.

    emily. (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    But who likes being watched by their parents constantly?
    "Come on honey, go knock on the door. Then come back to the car and we'll drive to the next house."

    There's no fun in that.
    November 14th, 2008 at 11:33pm
  • The Guitar Man

    The Guitar Man (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    Everything is dangerous, these days. Absolutely everything.
    Though, I think part of it has to do with the saying 'if it bleeds; it leads'. Not perfectly, but stories that involve scare and danger sell a lot better. That being said, I think things like this aren't as common as we're led to believe.

    On the other hand, I think that the parents play a big role; watch over your kid better. Yes, bad things happen, but most of them can be stopped rather easily. Parent better. >_>
    November 14th, 2008 at 05:19pm
  • poppysgirl521

    poppysgirl521 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    i definitley agree that parents should pay closer attention to their children. Actually this year a kid was running across the street and got hit by a car. He died the next day. And two kids that I know were jumped by five guys for their candy. One got beat up pretty bad but the other ran for help. So I agree, people hould be paying closer attention.
    November 13th, 2008 at 08:49pm
  • Halii

    Halii (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    everything that's fun is somehow dangerous.
    November 13th, 2008 at 07:11am
  • Gibbers

    Gibbers (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I celebrate halloween the old-fashioned way, burning shit and talking w/ ghosts!
    Our bonfire this year was really big i think it's better than trick or treating. Our town is tiny, trick or treating is perfectly safe.
    November 13th, 2008 at 12:10am
  • This Isn't Really Me

    This Isn't Really Me (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Depends where you live, and really it's just common sense.
    November 12th, 2008 at 08:53pm
  • rikey

    rikey (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Iceland
    If I lived in the US, and had a kid, I'd be with the kid the entire time, or find someone I trusted to watch over the kid. Sure, let the kids have fun, but always be on the look-out for, yeah, sexual predators. People should be aware that not everyone is "good". Evil does exist. And sickness.
    November 12th, 2008 at 03:25pm
  • StolenSerenity

    StolenSerenity (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Canada
    Where I live, it's quite safe; everybody knows each other.
    In South Carolina (I believe it was) a family was murdered at the hands of the owners of the house they were trick or treating at.

    I always found it quite odd that parents say, "Don't take candy from strangers." Yet, on halloween, they seem to encourage this behaviour.
    November 12th, 2008 at 04:38am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Halloween is obviously not safe. But some are just stupid enough to not keep their kid safe.
    Where I live parents either go with them or find a trusted adult to occupant their kids. Very few are let out alone. Usually with ever visitor you see one or more adults/teenagers standing near the house or on the street.
    November 12th, 2008 at 03:38am
  • Lucy Anathema.

    Lucy Anathema. (355)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Two of my friends and I gave out candy this year. There were a lot of people from our school with their little nieces and nephews with no adult supervision. And we're like, "What?" We almost refused to give them candy, but then again, that would've been mean. Seriously, some people don't think about the dangers of letting kids run loose, even if it is a nice neighborhood.
    I recently found out we have more than two registered sex offenders in my county, and one of them lives in my town!
    I like this article. Thanks for posting, and I hope many parents get to read this.
    November 12th, 2008 at 02:43am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    That's why the parents are supposed to go with the children. If they don't, they're basically asking for danger.
    November 12th, 2008 at 02:18am