Robert Smith: Poster Boy of Gloom

Robert Smith: Poster Boy of Gloom Just think when that one ‘emo’ song comes up you’d think of such gloom and darkness, such horrid life of yours. Gloom? They know none in lyrics. Robert Smith, King and Poster child of Gloom? From the The Cure to Souxsie &The Banshees, this man has made an impact on those who live through music. People pin him as some Goth front man of The Cure, when he replied, Quote “It's so pitiful when 'Goth' is still tagged onto the name The Cure.” End quote.

He came to this world on April 21st, 1959 in Blackpool, UK. His multi-instrumental mind helps in vocalizing his lyrics from words on a page to melodies capturing souls in awe. Many of the roles he played in music were with The Glove, Easy Cure, Malice, Siouxsie & the Banshees. But before any stardom came he was at home with his three siblings.

He was raised as Catholic and went to school in Crawley,UK and began playing guitar at eleven. At this age began to be fully engulfed in music and his primary target became music. From The Beatles, to The Stranglers, to Jimi Hendrix. Once he met Mary Poole, and married at the young age of 14, he composed “Love song” as a wedding gift.

His dream came true when in 1977, The Cure formed. His stage persona would’ve screamed ‘emo’ but in true thought ‘Goth’ was tagged as his smeared red lipstick, black clothes, and sneakers. His vocal styling’s were emerged from the third album, his collaborations were numerous and songwriting has on-going themes and styles. To say the least, not one album seems of repeat

Today, Smith lives with his wife Mary with no intentions of raising children, just living and continuing his musical career. He just released the album, 4:13 Dream . It was amazing and like none before, from the music to the vocals, this man has out done everyones expectation of music.

Latest articles