The New Revolution

The New Revolution Over three hundred years ago, our founding fathers fought for America's independence.

A hundred and fifty years ago, abolitionists fought for the elimination of slavery in the South.

A hundred years ago, women of America fought for the right to vote.

Fifty years ago, Martin Luther King, Jr. and many others fought for the de-segregation of the South.

America needs a new revolution. In order to change and move on from another discrimination, the population of America needs to band together to create a movement so large it can not be ignored.

The Constitution of the United States was created to protect the rights of the minorities; to prevent the tyranny of the majority. Homosexuals make up approximately 10% of the population of the United States. This, therefore, constitutes members of the LGBT community as a minority.

States not recognizing same-sex marriages are not only discriminatory and hateful, they are un-constitutional.

The main objections to same-sex marriages are religious and personal. The First Amendment gives all citizens of the United States the right to religious freedom. The Declaration of Independence established a nation in which all citizens have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Many religions state that homosexuality is immoral and wrong. What these religious institutes fail to realize is that they are oppressing a minority that may not follow their religion. The majority of the United States is religious and/or against homosexuality. This is the majority tyrannizing a minority.

During the pre-Civil War Era in the South, Many plantation owners and white southerners used religion to justify their actions in owning slaves. They said the slaves were better off because they spread the word of God to the lowly Africans, effectively making them missionaries. Now, the religious institutes fully accept African- Americans.

The oppressed of the past had to endure being called "nigger" and being beaten up purely because of their color. The modern day oppressed have to endure being called "faggot", "dyke", "homo", and "queer" and being beaten up purely because of their sexuality.

The bottom line is that we, the youth of the nation, need to band together to right this wronging and stop the hate crimes. To stop the hate, the first thing that needs to happen is the legalization and acceptance of same-sex marriage. People need to stop trying to ignore the fact that homosexuals exist in most communities. Society as a whole needs to accept homosexuals as people and not just as "queers".

RAmen.

Latest articles