Stereotyping And Labeling - Comments

  • paris_design

    paris_design (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    im so tired of all the don't label me aticles and posers writing about things they can't even proof read
    September 10th, 2009 at 02:40am
  • rachel weisz

    rachel weisz (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    This is a [i]very[/i] hypocritical article I've read. You say you're against the stereotyping, but yet when you got to preps you said that they [i]often think the world revolves around them[/i] Um..I'm not a prep and I DO think that the world revolves around me, I want to be center of attention and don't like it when I'm not. I know that about me. And I'm not a 'prep'. Far from. And since when aren't preps not the nicest people? I know preps who are EXTREMELY nice. And then there are some that are complete butts. I know jocks, emos, goths, nerds, geeks, etc that are nice and then they some are butts too. It depends on the person not on the label. And then we get to the My Chemical Romance thing [tho I do admit I like them, and write about them]. That is probably the most used 'emo' band used in these articles. Seriosuly people? Find a different band. There are plenty more out there getting crap, not just them. And [b]bravette[/b] yes she should read your story, thank you for saying that. And I know you say these are [i]your[/i] opinions but they sound like everyone else who has ever wrote an article over this opinions.
    May 25th, 2009 at 03:22am
  • Peeta Mellark;

    Peeta Mellark; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    You don't know much, do you? First of all your a hypocrite, saying that you don't like how stereotypes are used, and then using them? Not so smart. Emo? Those aren't the kids who wear the dark clothes and listen to the head-banging music. I don't know who the hell those kids are, but the real EMOtional kids? They're the ones who sit in the back of the classroom, who don't say much. The ones who cut themselves in secret, and cry themselves to sleep. Preps? There are two kinds of "prep" (i prefer the word "popular" but we'll have it your way). You can be the snobby, rude, stuck up "prep". Or you can be the really nice, get-good-grades kind of "prep" who I don't call "prep". I call that a good person. and I agree with the bravette. There are losers in this world. Drug-addicts, drinker, abusers, rapists, racists. They aren't so cool. Jock? So, you play a sport, what does that have to do with anything? And what about the kids who don't have a stereotype? What about those people? Are they "dorks" or "nerds" ? I don't like stereotypes, I don't like using stereotypes. What if you play a sport? Your a jock then, right? But, what if you also are in AP, and get REALLY good grades? Aren't you a nerd then? Again, I don't like them, I don't like using them, I don't use them. Personally, my motto is:
    I am who I am, and if you need a stereotype to understand that then don't talk to me.
    May 5th, 2009 at 02:40am
  • bravette

    bravette (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    So I skimmed through your article.
    THERE ARE LOSERS IN THE WORLS: they are people who waste their time drinking, doing drugs and partying. They will drop out of high school. I dated a guy who smoked weed and drank. I dumped him and it’s been more than a year since I’ve seen him. He’s dropped out of school and he’s fat as hell now because all he does is drink and smoke. THAT IS A LOSER.

    “They’re usually made fun of and bullied because of their intelligence”
    WRONG: Every smart ass in my school, are picked on, because they brag. They talk about how they’ll be making more money, how everyone else will be working for them. My boyfriend’s cousin is in all AP this year and his nick name is “Dick Head Derek” because all he does is brag.

    Emo, is the first three letter words of emotional. Being emo does not meaning cutting but the MAJORITY of all “emo’s” do cut. It’s not even a stereotype, it’s a sub-genera of Rock that is made into a style.

    “Preps and jocks on the other hand seem to have it good. They’re usually known as the populars. These people usually follow the trends set and are up to date with the latest fashions. They are often known for having the money, the clothing, and the stuff. Often preps believe the world revolves around them.”
    I thought you were against stereotypes? You sound very stereotypical here. I dress preppy. I wear AE and Hollister but I don’t have money, I’m not up with the latest trends, I have a lot of friends, not popularity. Get your facts straight.

    Oh, and I don’t have it good. Read my Story Defiled. It’s about how I was raped. Does that sound good?

    “Now, normally these kinds of people are known for “ruling the school”. Sadly, in most cases these people aren’t the friendliest.”
    Wrong again. Most of the people I know, are the nicest people I have ever met.

    Look, you seem like a nice person, and your picture is cool (love your hair). But I think you should write an article (or a story like I did) about your Multiple Personality disorder. It would be a better read and much more than just scientific facts since you have it.
    March 4th, 2009 at 11:40pm
  • bravette

    bravette (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I'm sorry I couldn't read this.

    I've seen so many articles on this subject "Try being DIfferent!" "Sertoetypes are bad!" "Labels"

    and it gets annoying.
    March 4th, 2009 at 11:27pm
  • saxophonesandmcr

    saxophonesandmcr (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Did you know the dictionary defanition of a nerd and I quote oxford dictionaries '• noun informal a person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious. ' and I get called a nerd alot. Well, if Im not being called nerd, it's emo or goth (?) or geek or band nerd/geek. People don't just fit into one caterogory, Yeah I like MCR, but I also play saxophone and go to science club :)
    March 1st, 2009 at 02:51pm
  • Sharksnacks.

    Sharksnacks. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you for writing this article! I agree with you completly.
    February 28th, 2009 at 08:40am
  • fool's paradise

    fool's paradise (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Done.
    Try doing something that hasn't been hashed and rehashed five million times, plz and thnx.
    February 26th, 2009 at 04:34pm
  • No Regrets

    No Regrets (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I'd just like to mention that you were much more persuasive against stereotypes than for them as you stated you were. Work on your persuasive abilities because honestly they suck if you convince people of the opposite of what you're trying for
    February 26th, 2009 at 05:50am
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    God. This is the most hypocritical and stereotypical article I've read in a long time.

    A nerd is usually an individual whose IQ exceeds his height? Wow you must live in a Nickelodeon or Disney Channel sitcom.

    And the "preps" have it good? STEREOTYPES. If you haven't noticed, the "popular" people are the ones that are the most messed up.

    And that they usually aren't the friendliest people? ...I honestly wanna cuss you out a bit but I don't wanna get banned. Neither are your emos or geeks or whatever. People aren't nice in general. If you find someone who is genuinely nice, its not because of their social group. My best friend, who is the nicest person you will ever meet, is considered a "prep". Me, well I'm pretty bitchy to be honest. [And no, not to the people who are emo or geeks or whatever, to the people who I think are dumbasses.] And I'm also in the "prep" [God how I hate that term sooooo freaking much.] I know someone who is considered emo who is an amazingly nice person. And I know someone who is a complete asshole who is also considered an emo or whatever. How [i]friendly[/i] someone is has nothing to do with their social standings.

    I pretty much stopped reading your article after the not the friendliest people comment.
    February 26th, 2009 at 04:11am
  • Silly_Girl

    Silly_Girl (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Wow. This artical is pretty original.
    February 25th, 2009 at 11:17pm
  • Crow Maiden

    Crow Maiden (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I agree, (yoou put emo twice but hey. :P)
    I get called 'emo' because I like and listen to My Chem, I just shoot chav back to them and walk off but it does make it hard when people who don't even know yoou are saying 'uggghhhh yoou emo, go cut yoour wrists and cry.' because the steryotype is all of thaat, but the real life emo's aren't normally like that... >.<
    same with most steryotypes I suppose...
    February 25th, 2009 at 09:31pm
  • spockface

    spockface (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    [i]A nerd is usually an individual whose IQ exceeds his height[/i]

    Okay, so first off, IQ is a flawed and limited measure of intelligence. There's a lot more to say about that than I have room or time for, but there's an argument to be made that the test is biased in favor of white people, and it certainly doesn't measure every kind of intelligence.

    Second, this is a gendered definition of "nerd". According to a 2008 US Dept. of Health study, US women age 20 and above average 5'3.8", whereas their male counterparts average 5'9.4". A little research indicates that there's no significant difference in average IQ between men and women. So this definition would probably apply to more women than men, which, if it's used as an insult, could result in girls and women feeling more pressure to suppress their intelligence than boys and men.

    Third, are you measuring height in inches or centimeters? Because if it's inches, most people fit that description -- IQ tests are scored so that the average is 100, with a standard deviation of 15 (which means that about 68% of people fall between 85 and 115, and about 95% of people fall between 70 and 130). For a person with an average IQ to have a height greater than their IQ score (and therefore be a non-nerd by this definition), they'd have to be taller than 8'4". For Forrest Gump to have a height greater than his IQ score (75 according to the film), he'd have to be taller than 6'3". Tom Hanks is about 6' or 6'1", depending who you ask. So by this definition, Forrest Gump is a nerd.

    If it's centimeters, a US-dwelling woman of average height would have to have an IQ of 163 or greater to be a nerd. Her male counterpart would need an IQ of 177 or greater. For some perspective: three people out of every hundred thousand have an IQ of 160 or greater. One person out of every hundred thousand has an IQ of 164 or greater. One person in a million has an IQ of 172 or greater.

    So... if inches, the category is so broad it's useless. If centimeters, the category is so narrow the word might die out.

    February 25th, 2009 at 08:07pm
  • mindless

    mindless (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Norway
    I agree with your opinion. You brought the good and the bad parts forth, and your article was very reasonable. Very good! <3
    February 25th, 2009 at 07:00pm