The Voice of Reason

The Voice of Reason Well, I am trying something new. Every third week, I am going to have my friend David Dick consult on a topic. He will voice his opinion on the matter as will I. This is a change of pace for me and my column. His consulting will first start with this topic...

Consultant's (David Dick) opinion:

Freedom of Speech is the right to say what one pleases with impunity. One, when blessed with Freedom of Speech, can be free from all punishment when he or she voices his/her opinion. Freedom of Speech gives people a sense of freedom in many other aspects. One may feel that he/she is given this right only to be fair, however, it is not. We are given this right so as to voice our opinions and ideas in a way that will be beneficial to all. However, there is a limit to the nature of the ideas or opinions of which we speak. If one speaks in public on an unusually uncomfortable topic, he or she will naturally be ostracized and put off the air. This is terrible. By the nature of the Constitution, we are given certain unalienable rights. Among these is the right to free speech. To offend this rule is to offend the Constitution in its most basic form. On the contrary, if one is to appear publicly and entertain feelings of blind, biased, and totally irrational hate to any certain group, party, or religion, this is, in all forms unacceptable. Freedom of Speech is vital to the general freedom of Americans, and should, at all costs, not be infringed.

MY opinion:

Freedom of Speech is a very important right that we, the American people, are privileged to have. This concept allows all Americans to express their favor or hate towards a person, place, thing, or idea without punishment in any way.

With Freedom of Speech, we are allowed to voice our opinion. This benefits us because when we voice our opinion or suggest a change, government officials, or at least an official of a sort, will hear what we are conveying and will hopefully take it into consideration and make an adjustment. Voicing our feelings on a topic can also allow us to gain some followers who have the same mentality on the matter at hand, therefore we have gained support.

This brings me to my next point. Under this amendment, we are allowed to protest with a group of people against a subject we do not like or agree with. For example me and my fellow Catholics are able to go to the nation's capital ans march with many others and voice our opposition in accord with abortion.

Without Freedom of Speech, we would be under total control of what the government and other areas of authority in the U.S. and what they see is right. They may be wrong, but without Freedom of Speech, we could not let them know what we see is as right and wrong. The United States would be a very grim place without the gift of Freedom of Speech. For we, the American people, are the voice of reason in this wonderful country.

Latest articles