The truth about "Emos" - Comments

  • Gypsy Rose

    Gypsy Rose (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    emo is dead.
    January 12th, 2010 at 04:36am
  • as dreamers do.

    as dreamers do. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    No, you're wrong. The stereotype, emo, means a dark and depressed cutter because that's what society says. Stereotypes are born by society and will always be of society. It's a classification created by judgmental losers who will probably might amount to something great, but in reality will still be a bunch of assholes with no lives. If you're not what society says emo is, then you're not emo.

    Stereotypes are shallow and never change, okay? There's no 'truth' about them, because they're a way of judging people because of how they look, rather than who they are. I would get it if this article was about the emo fashion statement, but truth be told, labels are only skin deep. There's no reality or personality. It's a word, and simply that.

    So please, do yourself a favor and stop branding yourself like a fucking dairy product. Trying to categorize people's sense of style is bad enough. Now people are trying to group personalities? It's so lame. We need to get over how stupid we all are. Then maybe the word 'unique' might seem less nonexistent.
    July 28th, 2009 at 02:23am
  • HeartsinMotion

    HeartsinMotion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    There are better ways to work through stress than self-harm, no reason could excuse physicaly harming yourself. how would you feel if you found that your mother or father constantly cut themselves?
    July 14th, 2009 at 06:34am
  • MMS1108

    MMS1108 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Very good article!
    July 14th, 2009 at 04:42am
  • Bucky Barnes

    Bucky Barnes (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    ...Oh Dear Lord ¬¬
    July 12th, 2009 at 12:53am
  • TCatt

    TCatt (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    This article is stupid. There is no ''truth'' about ''Emos''. It's a label and there is no truth in labels.
    And you're not so bright to let people give you this label that you have ''been given''.
    As is said frequently, you're not a can of soup!
    Get a life and stop carring for labels and such.
    July 11th, 2009 at 10:59pm
  • katiekitty

    katiekitty (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    God some of these comments are jerkish! Okay, for one, the person who wrote this was right. Two, Emo WAS short for "Emotive Hardcore" but meanings to words change over time and mean different things to different people,so Shut Up about it OKAY?! Three, labels DO exist and they ARE a problem no matter where you live, and saying," I don't get labled so nobody should whine about it" in a sense, just makes you seem like an arse. That is all.
    ~Kitty~
    July 11th, 2009 at 07:45pm
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    [b]xoscarletfirexo[/b], back at you, sweetie, because you wouldn't like this.
    Okay, this isn't an article. This is a "pity me" journal.
    Don't label [i]yourself[/i] if you don't want to be labeled.
    Emo is a shortened word for a genre of music. Even if it isn't [i]as[/i] popular as it was in the 90's, it's still a music genre.
    This was an epic fail.
    Ugh.
    July 11th, 2009 at 12:31am
  • SilentWolf

    SilentWolf (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Canada
    I hate it when people are so stereotypical.
    I don't belong to any stereo type so everyone just calls me a loser or a wannabe.
    So I call them a bitch and walk away,
    But I'm really nice.
    I remember my dark days.
    Now I only suffer from slight depresstion,
    plus I stopped cutting!
    GO ME!
    July 10th, 2009 at 09:38pm
  • Midnight Ruby

    Midnight Ruby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    i find this very interesting and true it is silly to try to stop labels cause even the label haters use them and may not even think about it and all the haters (i read every comment) can go to hell
    July 10th, 2009 at 10:29am
  • BLUEcloud

    BLUEcloud (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I would guess that you didn't write the article as a stance against labels, but more as about how people treated because of what labels they have been given.
    And a large amount of comments here just shows how many people have the classic hate towards labels and also have decided to hate you because you, for one person out of the many many others here, didn't write an article strictly for how sucky labels are.

    Not only do I thank you for the originality, but also think your point does deserve being focused on for even one moment.
    Studying psychology has taught me that stereotypes are there to help us understand the world better and so that society can run all that bit more quickly and smoothly. Stereotypes aren't wrong, but how people can violently discriminate against people who are =by one way or another= in those stereotypes is wrong.

    And to defeat the discrimination by, as you said, just being yourself and deciding to NOT make another person's life a complete misery because you're pity-worthy and simply bored enough to try to hurt someone you don't even know, would be the right thing to do. Good article in my opinion... er, if this is your purpose for it? ^.^
    July 10th, 2009 at 09:13am
  • thirty whacks;

    thirty whacks; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    No, NEWSFLASH to you!
    The term "emo" is actually short for "emotive hardcore" which was a music genre in the early 90's.

    And the fad is pretty outdated.
    July 10th, 2009 at 09:10am
  • TristSaysStfu

    TristSaysStfu (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Um, I'm not really sure what to start on first about this article. If you don't want to be labeled, don't label yourself. You call yourself and "your label" emo. If you call yourself emo, then why in the world would other people not call you emo?
    It seemed like you aimed to get attention by writting this. By talking about your "pain". Seriously, what kind of pain do you have? You failed at getting attention. Nice try, though.
    Really, being "emo" doesn't make you different in the least. "Emo" isn't some insane thing. Now, every Jack and Jill on the block are wearing Hot Topic tees, skinny jeans, and checkered Vans. Everyone wants MCR and PATD and 3OH!3 on their Ipod. To quote Say Anything, "makes you a slave to the competitive capitalist dogma you spend every moment of your waking life BITCHING about!"
    To make these big words simple? This doesn't make you any different from the "preps" and the "jocks" that you complain about not understanding and pushing you around. Only wearing Hot Topic doesn't make you less of a label whore then the girl who only wears Hollister.
    Get over yourself and the so called "pain". Put up the knifes, and stop rolling up the sleeves so people will ask about the scars. And for pete's sake, stop posting usless articles on Mibba! We have enough of those.

    P.S.: Emo isn't a person, it's a seventies sub-genre of music. And STOP! My Chemical Romance isn't emo (aka, Emotive Hardcore). It died out in the 90's.

    Goodbye, real rock.
    July 10th, 2009 at 07:52am
  • Rosalia

    Rosalia (800)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    while reading this, the only message that came to me was that you wanted people to acknowledge you and pity you.

    the phrase "emo" is a stupid label people push on everyone who's not like them, get over it.

    what I don't respect is someone who feels they HAVE to cut, wear black, hates life, and listens to my chemical romance and aiden. It's people like that that ruins music. They fall into this fad and pulls all actual music lovers down into it with them. wanna know something, I listen to bands like every time I die, norma jean, gallows, and I Killed The Prom Queen. am I expected to wear the genres uniform? hell no, I'll freakin wear a pink hello kitty tank with booty shorts to a show if I want to (It has been done). and with that, I'll leave you
    July 10th, 2009 at 06:14am
  • Lucid_dreamer

    Lucid_dreamer (110)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with Siro.
    Your not trying to stop people from labeling you or anyone else in this article. In true honesty, your not the label, you [u]are[/u] the label.
    It's an insult.
    I really think that this article would have been better if you said that all this label sh*t could go to hell! But apparently you like being a soup can.

    Don't like my comment, IDC!

    It's Genre, stupid, and anyone excepting these labels being thrown at them are pathetic!
    YOUR A HUMAN BEING!
    Stop letting all this labeling crap get to you.
    July 10th, 2009 at 04:31am
  • Darby Crash

    Darby Crash (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Thanks for telling me about your life and about 1% of the scene kids.
    I can tell you the truth. EMO IS A GENRE.
    Done.
    July 10th, 2009 at 03:23am
  • foREVerJimmySullivan

    foREVerJimmySullivan (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i remember my friends, brother, and i were walking, and my brother and one of my friends bere playing around, and one ripped a big leaf off a tree, and all you hear is a person shout, "HEY!! FUCKING EMOS!!!" in our direction..
    July 10th, 2009 at 01:38am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This is very stereotypical.
    July 10th, 2009 at 12:27am
  • Siro.

    Siro. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    This was extremely stereotypical.
    If you want people to stop labelling you, don't label yourself.
    And if you don't want attention brought to you, then don't give people a reason to give you attention - like writing these pointless & stupid articles.
    July 9th, 2009 at 11:54pm
  • Happenis

    Happenis (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    67
    Location:
    United States
    'Emo' is some half assed insult. It's not a person, it's not who you are. It only hurts because you let it.
    And honestly, I don't think Emo is really a music genre. :| Maybe at some point it was, but quite frankly, every song has an emotion in it.
    Anywhore, Sure someone calling you 'Emo' might hurt your feel goods, but tough shit, there are sicker things.

    :) Live strong. :3
    July 9th, 2009 at 10:36pm