Race To End Rasism - Comments

  • zaneta1006

    zaneta1006 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Everybody has their culture and they want to be identified...i say let them be they're proud to be who they are even if they are a high-handed and a little snobbish. But not everybody can be experts on people.
    Besides what's the deal with names?
    October 19th, 2009 at 09:23pm
  • RainyDays

    RainyDays (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm not American but I am Canadian and Asian. I am very proud of my background but I'm also proud to be a Canadian as well. Equally proud, actually.
    October 11th, 2009 at 04:06am
  • lozzieee who.

    lozzieee who. (610)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Americans are a mixture of anyone that's invaded you, just like us English (:

    I'm Scottish, Welsh and Dutch... 'cause I'm from the North east and they didn't really bother with us. We were too learned for them. Now we're considered idiots in the country ):

    Even if everyone in America said 'I'm American' they'd still say, 'Southern', 'Northern'; like we say 'Northern' or more specificly, 'North-Eastern'. Pretty much every country on this earth has been invaded by someone or other. Nobody is pure to their country.

    My dad is so proud of our Scottish heritage, he took us to where my great Granny worked way back in WW1, making Devils Porridge for bombs... though he's not proud of that, he's proud of the fact his great Grammy did anything she could to care for his mama ^^
    September 17th, 2009 at 05:53pm
  • xxshadesofgray

    xxshadesofgray (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    i know, it so stupid how people remember there culture and cherish the culture *sarcasm intended*

    it was an okay article except the beginning, many people from cultures want to remeber and cherrish them.
    September 13th, 2009 at 08:01am
  • KittyKat1

    KittyKat1 (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree. We should all be united, but there's nothing wrong with calling yourself African-American. It's not a special name that separates you, it's a name that says that you are both. You are African [i]and[/i] American.
    September 11th, 2009 at 04:20pm
  • queeniecharlie

    queeniecharlie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I agree 150%. Everything has to do with different races these days, and whites don't get anything--and if we did, it would be racism. *As Said In Your Article*
    September 9th, 2009 at 12:42pm
  • slowburnbaby

    slowburnbaby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Its becasue they are proud of their culture when they say Arab-American, Mexican-American Etc. if they suddenly came to America and didn't try to hold on to their culture, we would actually lose what our country is, because we were BUILT on the mix match of cultures Germans, Brittish, Dutch, Chinese All these cultueres came together and made us into one big Mixing pot of a country. Like the one we are today
    September 1st, 2009 at 03:53pm
  • keith s.

    keith s. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    We don't always get to choose our backgrounds, so it's okay if someone's not exactly 'proud' of it. What I do think though, is that you wrote the article very well. I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think it's necessary to sperate everyone into.. say 'groups'.
    x
    August 30th, 2009 at 04:23pm
  • IAmATourist

    IAmATourist (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'm French-Swedish-German-Irish-Latvian-Dutch-Lithuanian-Romanian-American, but I don't go around saying that....it would take too long. I'm just American, I guess.
    August 29th, 2009 at 07:26pm
  • MyChemicalEscape

    MyChemicalEscape (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I hate racism more than anything. I really do. But with that being said, I don't think it will ever end entirely. People were born with the ability to discriminate. And by discriminate, I do not mean people were born racist. The ability to discriminate is to tell the difference between one thing and another. For example, the apple is red and the banana is yellow. It is only prejudice (or racist, should you apply it to races) if you decide not to like the banana because it is yellow. But we were born with the ability to discriminate, or tell the difference between things. And because we are capable of forming hatred as well, people will always naturally hate others, no matter how we try to fix it. There will always be those few.

    Also, I would prefer to be Italian-American than just American, because honestly, I'm proud of my culture, and I'm not so proud of my country at the moment. I hope someday we find a way to end racism, but I doubt that will ever happen.
    August 28th, 2009 at 08:49am
  • veronika

    veronika (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Australia
    Why is categorising bad, exactly?

    If people want to be proud of their heritage, or at least acknowledge it, and refer to themselves as African Americans, or Latina Americans, or Italian Americans or whatever - then how is that bad?

    Also, I don't actually see what this has to do with racism as such. 'American' isn't a race. It can be applied to anyone who's a citizen of America. But just because you're a citizen of America, it doesn't mean you automatically want and should refer to yourself solely as 'American' - some people are much more comfortable grouping themselves with their racial heritage.

    I disagree with RememberTheSunday's comment about how it's "discriminating against yourself". It's basically just categorising and labeling yourself, in a similar way to how people label themselves into subcultures (they're obviously not the same thing, but they're similar).

    Diversity and categorisation doesn't have to mean we cannot be brought together. People can be united as a nation even if it is divided up into different racial / heritage groups.

    And lastly - 'racism' is spelt incorrectly in your title.
    August 25th, 2009 at 05:24pm
  • Eagle

    Eagle (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I feel that the main reason racism is somewhat ignored because there are too many people who jump up and say something is racist, when it wasn't ever meant to be racist. People are just sick of hearing about it. I know I am. People need to get a grip.

    Also, people call themselves, Asian American, Italian American, Irish American, etc.. because they want to hold on to their cultural background. There's nothing wrong with that and it is certainly not an example of racism.

    It's going to sound harsh, but I feel there is a lot less racism in the world then people realize because they don't think about the reasons. There is more racism caused by people against than anyone else. It's harsh, but true in my opinion.
    August 25th, 2009 at 04:42am
  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    You said something that everyone wants to say! Wonderful! It's great that some of us actually want to get along! People like us will change the United states for the better.
    August 24th, 2009 at 03:45am
  • A21CenturyBreakdown

    A21CenturyBreakdown (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i agree, too. why can't everyone just be fair? people are discriminating against themselves, really. they're just putting themselves in a group that everyone can't participate in, and they accuse others of being unfair.
    August 24th, 2009 at 01:05am
  • sarahblanche

    sarahblanche (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I totally agree. Racism isn't just the obvious hate that gets you banned from places. Affirmative action is one of the world racist habits that America has, as well as hyphenated American status.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 08:43am
  • skarsgard.

    skarsgard. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with this article so much. Racism won't end because people will never let things go. One of my teachers, who is black, thinks everyone is my class is a spoiled white brat, and we only started school Wednesday. She's so quick to judge us, and she thinks that black people are the only race that are poor. She highlights the black poor people, saying that white people don't care about them at all, but there are definitely poor white people that no one gives a shit about either. It makes me so angry.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 05:25am
  • Brutaldoll_Ink;

    Brutaldoll_Ink; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Though, I do agree with a lot with what you said, why should we just be [i]Americans[/i]?
    Why can't we just be [i]people[/i]? That makes a lot more sense.
    August 23rd, 2009 at 02:44am