Afro-Punk: A New Kind of Revolution

Afro-Punk: A New Kind of Revolution When most people hear the term "Afro-punk", they're often confused by it. I can't tell you how many strange looks I've gotten when trying to describe this style of music to people. Yet just like its rebellious predecessor, it's not just a style of music, it's a movement.

Afro-punk refers to "African Americans and other black people in the punk subculture". Although they are a minority in this country, they are part of the larger majority in places with large populations of people of African descent like Africa and Brazil. Bands that fall into this genre not only have members that are African American, but also all-African American lineups.

Bands like Fishbone, Bad Brains, Noisettes, Suffrajett, Suicidal Tendencies, El Pus, Dead Kennedys, Reagan Youth, The Templars, Stiffed, Bloc Party, TV on the Radio and 24-7 Spyz are at the forefront of this style of music and the movement that goes along with it.

The 2004 documentary Afro-Punk is a 66-minute documentary by bi-racial director James Spooner that explores race identity in punk scenes American and abroad. Spooner was inspired to make this film after growing up in a small town in California where he was not accepted for his rebellious ways and style of music he chose to listen to.

The interviews in the movie cover issues that all young people in the punk scene face like dating, the reactions they receive from their families and communities as well as issues of sexuality. The only difference is that the subjects of this film deal with these issues as well as how they deal with their feelings of loneliness as well as issues of Black power and the difficulty that comes with living life with one foot in Black America and one foot in a subculture with strong ties to White America. Appearances and interviews from Afro-punk artists like Tamar-kali, Candiria, Cipher, Orange 9mm and TV on the Radio as well interviews of regular young adults that are active in the scene give a well-rounded perspective from both sides of the movement.

Spooner himself has said that "I have lived both comfortably and uncomfortably in black AND white America... defining myself, for myself and loving myself for my decision, was no easy task" and that making the film helped him not only define himself, but help his audience "as they continue to define themselves."

The goal of many of these artists is to unify punks of color so that they no longer feel alone in how they choose to live and what music they listen to. The annual Afro-punk festival in New York City offers a safe haven for people to come together to skateboard, exhibit art and listen to great live music all while connecting with people that are just like them.

Sources:

Afro-punk Wikipedia article
James Spooner Wikipedia article

Places to visit for more information:

Afro-Punk website
White Lies, Black Sheep
James Spooner's YouTube page

Latest articles