Depression, Teenage Outcast, Suicide And Stereotypes - Comments

  • TheShiningSoul

    TheShiningSoul (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I feel like this a lot now, but I don't wear all black. I don't judge others for what they wear or look like. I judge them for their heart, which is what you've covered on. But I have scars. Those I'm no longer ashamed of as they're a part of me. But what I am ashamed of is that now, all that appeals to me is giving up. Giving in to darkness, which is what I call failure. I'm studying articles in school at the moment, but I can't seem to make myself objective to the article I'm writing. So I keep getting told to do it differently, but I feel like no one ever sees how hard I am trying. I feel like giving up, but my teacher says I can do it. Now he's giving me a hard time, because all I do is glare at the sheet and cry, but I try to hide my tears. I don't know if he's noticed or not. A part of me hopes he does notice, because then he may actually see that I'm trying and life is hard right now. Maybe it's hard because of me. I have amazing friend and a loving family, yet I still envy others. Others who're smarter. The annoying thing is though is that some people don't want to be seen as intellectual, which I understand, but I want my efforts to be appreciated.

    But they never have been. Not when I wanted them to be anyway.

    Which is why now I'm so eager to give up.

    I've tried suicide, but it failed miserably. I've been trying to get past that, but nothing ever seems to work.

    I just feel so confused and I almost feel like I'm no longer living really because I laugh as a character now. It's no longer me when I smile or laugh.

    It's fake. I've become empty and I hate it, but I don't see any point in trying, as I always find ways to fail.
    December 10th, 2013 at 05:33pm
  • corrineftw.

    corrineftw. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Not to be rude or anything, but I think you were being biased and stereotypical, just like you were saying others were being towards depressed teens. You probably didn't intend for that, but that's how it came out. Also, not all outcasts are depressed; some of them might just be socially awkward. Some of the preppiest, most outgoing, and fun-loving people can suffer from depression. Social labels can't determine your mental state.

    And another thing...generally, when writing research articles such as this, try not to use phrases like [i]"here is my view on", "I think that it's an important subject",[/i] or [i]"I am here to tell you why".[/i] Don't tell the readers that you're going to [i]"tell them something"[/i], because they'll obviously figure that out as they continue reading the article.

    Basically, just avoid your personal opinion and the use of the word "I" altogether. It doesn't allow the reader to form their own opinion; you need to make sure to give open-ended, unbiased information.

    Again, just trying to help you out. No hard feelings.
    December 2nd, 2009 at 04:35am
  • Deny Everything

    Deny Everything (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Switzerland
    Um, yeah, the girls with the skinny jeans and the band t-shirts ARE the popular crowd these days, I don't know if you've noticed but they're kind of taking over the world and making it suck.
    November 26th, 2009 at 10:20pm
  • DuckieGirl

    DuckieGirl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This makes you think even if you are what people call ''emo', like me.
    November 26th, 2009 at 04:51am
  • hide.my.fate

    hide.my.fate (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    No one's a soup can. Stop with the labels.
    November 26th, 2009 at 03:15am
  • Musika;

    Musika; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    You're right about people stereotyping. My friends assume people who wear black are emo. My cousins think sad, depressing things are also emo.

    And emos do not cut!
    November 20th, 2009 at 03:54am
  • rae.

    rae. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    you may have had good intentions of educating people when you wrote this article,
    but you definitely need to work on being less biased towards a certain opinion-based point.
    When you focus on (as others have said) what is really a stereotypical generalization, it discredits the rest of what you have to say, whether you meant for it to or not.
    November 14th, 2009 at 05:27am
  • xxshadesofgray

    xxshadesofgray (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    yes yes, quite stero-typical.
    November 11th, 2009 at 05:03am
  • TCatt

    TCatt (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I agree 100% with fool's paradise.
    November 10th, 2009 at 10:58pm
  • fool's paradise

    fool's paradise (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This article drove me crazy. If anyone's stereotyping, it's you.
    November 10th, 2009 at 05:38pm
  • Happenis

    Happenis (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    67
    Location:
    United States
    This was a very stereotypical article. :| I know it says stereotypes in the headline but still.
    [i]Most teens pick on the girl with black skinny jeans and a black band T-shirt. They torture the souls of the metal and rock loving teens. They hate the teens with black hair and the side fringes with cuts down their arms.[/i]
    Really. Are you fucking serious? So if you wear skinny jeans, band tees, listen to metal or rock, have black hair with bangs they MUST be depressed?
    What makes you think there isn't a girl wearing all white and pink, with brunette hair who has cuts on their arms?

    Who's to say you MUST be a outcast to be depressed or Suicidal? :/
    November 10th, 2009 at 01:04am
  • queeniecharlie

    queeniecharlie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I know the preppiest person in the world, and she cuts her wrists daily.
    I also know a social outcast who cuts her wrists in public & tried commiting suicide. So don't generalize. (Kind of the same thing that Tina Turner said)
    November 10th, 2009 at 12:49am
  • Beautiful -Disaster-

    Beautiful -Disaster- (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with you on this. I having dealt with suicide knows what it is like to be an outcast, for a long time I was. I think its sick we can be so cruel to other people...
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:10pm
  • Tati.the.Strange

    Tati.the.Strange (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with you and the others who commented. You did stereotype a little bit with the popular kids and stuff. But you did say the truth. Because some people are like that sometimes. Like, at my school there's this girl that's my friend and a lot of people make fun of her because she wears black. And also because they might see the cuts on her arms. I was once called an emo wanna-be and emo because of what I wore and that really brought me down. But you definately spoke the truth(mostly) and I'm glad you did because some people have a serious problem & they need help.

    ~Skittlez~ (x's,o's)
    November 9th, 2009 at 06:00am
  • sheepcats

    sheepcats (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I think this is mostly true and everything, but in my school, the people stereotyped as 'emo' or 'scene' are basically some of the most popular kids. Really, the only people looked down upon there are the ones that try to be their own person without needing all of that influence from others. The original 'emo' is basically dead here.
    November 9th, 2009 at 12:03am
  • NeverShoutTana

    NeverShoutTana (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    oh and rofl t-shit
    rofl
    Thank you for pointing that out Passion4Music
    November 8th, 2009 at 10:51pm
  • NeverShoutTana

    NeverShoutTana (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Okay i couldn't agree more with the person below me. I have plenty of friends i wear black skinny jeans, dude i'm african american, i listen to rock, i wear band-t's i use to cut because i liked how it felt it had nothing to do with anyone else around but when i'm stressed or bothered that's what i do. I know everyone at my school, basically and i'm liked by many people. Maybe you should reconsider what you've said in this article. Did you do this for points or something? I'm definitely not suicidal and no one calls me emo maybe rocker but not emo. :\
    November 8th, 2009 at 10:50pm
  • sicsempertyrannis

    sicsempertyrannis (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I have to agree with tina turner and MMS1108.
    I'm the kid with black skinnies and black band-t's and to be honest, i have scars up and down my arms, every one absolutely loves me and I'm always having a good time.
    I'm what you would call "popular" and if there's anyone who doesn't hang out with me, I know for a fact that they don't have a problem with me.
    I have tons of other friends like me, skinnies, band-t's they also have some "Problems" and "habits" but no I know of has a problem with them.
    November 8th, 2009 at 10:28pm
  • Benjamin Barker

    Benjamin Barker (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I agree with Tina Turner completely.
    November 8th, 2009 at 08:10pm
  • MMS1108

    MMS1108 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with Tina Turner, you generalized a lot. Not all people that are emo cut and not all people that cut are emo. I cut and if I hadn't told you or showed you the scars no one would have ever guessed because of the way I look. And I know for one thing that a lot of people in my school who were black and love the rock and roll are the ones sitting at a completely full lunch table having fun and the people that are sitting alone don't want other people around them. And just as Tina Turner said, who is "They"?
    November 8th, 2009 at 07:59pm