Should Creationism Be Taught In Schools? - Comments

  • Spiralling Shape

    Spiralling Shape (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Frankly, I found this insulting.

    You're arguments are completely biased and unreasoned.
    January 5th, 2011 at 06:04am
  • carrotpig

    carrotpig (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, it's something I've been pondering about for a while.

    I am not religious whatsoever, and like a lot of atheists I HATE religious people who shove their views down people's throats.

    But it seems a lot of atheists do this to religious people, while complaining about how religious people do it to them. I've heard conversations along the lines of "I'm a Christian and I believe in god." (When religious is bought up) then an atheist jumping up and down screaming "YOUR RELIGION IS WRONG, YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR FACTS, SCIENCE HAS PROVEN EVERYTHING WRONG. YOU ARE WRONG AND AN IDIOT"

    I agree with Midnight Ruby's comment, but I think it also stretches out to Atheists too.

    As I said I'm not biased, I'm not religious. It just seems a lot of atheists do what they seem to hate the most, and seem to justify it because a few religious people shove opinions down other's throats, when a lot of people are happy for different opinions.
    January 5th, 2011 at 05:44am
  • Midnight Ruby

    Midnight Ruby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    I have but two things to say
    1. You know what they say about assuming? It makes an ass out of you and me
    2. Religion is like a penis. It's fine have to have one, and it's fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out and public, and don't try to shove it down my throat.
    Au Revoir.
    January 5th, 2011 at 05:00am
  • Ramona Flowers.

    Ramona Flowers. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    When you said "real Christians", I immediately thought of Pastor Terry Jones (the guy who tried to organize "Burn a Quran Day". I don't want to learn "creationism." I want to learn solid facts that have been proved with decades of research and understanding. The basis of your article should not have been that "creationism" should be required in science classrooms, but it should be considered as an optional nationwide class offering. I don't care if this was simply a debate speech, I found it incredibly offensive with flimsy statements, questionable facts (without sources) and assumptions that seemed to beg for the tidal wave of comments you are receiving now.
    January 5th, 2011 at 03:56am
  • Kai Valentine.

    Kai Valentine. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Whoever posted this on Facebook has NO RIGHT to do that without my permission, which I surely did not give. Please, take it down immediately.
    January 5th, 2011 at 03:13am
  • paralleldimension

    paralleldimension (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    "Is this really what we want to know, and want our descendants to know? If so, what is to stop us from going out and committing crimes, causing a massacre or maybe committing suicide? There’s nothing that comes after this life, apparently, so why bother trying to be a good person? Why bring any children into the world? Maybe because that is how society wants us to interact? Well, is society going to keep you from dying and rotting in the ground?"

    So just because I don't believe in a god means that I'm going to go out and kill somebody? Oh definitely. Uh-huh. /sarcasm I'll have you know that I do like to be a good person despite the fact that I'm atheist. herzschmerz is right, you're not qualified to have this as an article when you only focus on your viewpoint. This is a ranting journal.
    January 5th, 2011 at 02:00am
  • herzschmerz

    herzschmerz (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    If you don't fully understand the subject you are writing about from multiple viewpoints, not just your own biased, condescending opinion, I don't think you're fully qualified to write a discursive article on it.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:53am
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    below me in the prime example
    :D

    jk!
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:50am
  • AnonymousK

    AnonymousK (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Godless enough. It's finally cooled down, suck it up and move on with your life.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:48am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    Of course. When the weak can no longer defend their opinions, they start complaining that they're being bashed or offended.

    Typical.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:43am
  • Kai Valentine.

    Kai Valentine. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Kay..
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:38am
  • IAmATourist

    IAmATourist (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    If this debate is getting heated, let's put it back on simmer. You can defend your cause without insulting people.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:34am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't like double commenting either...but [b]paramatic[/b], where did we say that? All people are really saying is that we don't like your caricature of an atheist (Commiting suicide because we don't believe in an afterlife, doing bad because we don't believe in the judgement of higher powers), and that creationism is religion, not science, and shouldn't be in schools.
    Nowhere do I see anyone calling your religion magical fairy dust or trying to convert you. This article, and this debate, is based around creationism in schools.
    And while that might include judging creationism's validity, it is most definitely not the same as simply debating whether or not creationism is real. That's a different argument.
    I'm not questioning the validity of your belief, despite my personal feelings on it, because that's not what we're really talking about. I'm pointing out that it is a belief, and should remain that way...not made into a science curriculum.

    Please don't take it personally as attacks on you, because they're not. They're disagreements with an idea you support, which is different. And it's good to...separate the two, especially in a debate :)
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:34am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Paramatic
    If that was directed at me, please do not call me dear.
    Can you really say who is and isn't a real Christian? Someone who harasses someone because the bible says it's wrong could say you're not a real Christian either.

    All I was saying was that saying religious people don't do bad things because of their religion is not true because some religious people are bad people. I'm done here though. I wasn't trying to convert you or anything, I believe in a deity as well. Sorry if I came off that way and sorry for the misunderstanding.

    And none of us were trying to yell at you. The whole thing got heated, yes, but that isn't the same as yelling. (:
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:31am
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I take into account both views of the argument. If one makes a valid point than I have no choice but to accept and will do so without complainging. However, I do believe in listening to both sides of the argument and am writing my point of view haha.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:30am
  • Kai Valentine.

    Kai Valentine. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Comment like Kallisto's are ones that make me smile.
    :)
    Thank you for not YELLING AT ME like everyone else.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:23am
  • Aightball

    Aightball (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    45
    Location:
    United States
    I wasn't going to comment again, but then I read the author saying this:

    [i]Well, dear, the real Christians don't say or do those types of things.
    When people's lives end is up to God, we shouldn't have any part in killing any of his creatures.[/i]

    Uhm..."real Christians", whatever that might be, do all sorts of things they "shouldn't". Lots of people that supposed to be religious or Christian kill people and are "immoral", as you would say. And frankly, saying that "When people's lives end is up to God, we shouldn't have any part in killing any of his creatures." I refuse to believe that some mythical being has any say in when it's my time.

    I'm not going to try to bring you over to my side, because you are free to believe what you want. *I* personally do think that religion and God and all that other stuff is nothing but a myth, "magical fairy-dust" as you would say. But if you want to believe, that's fine. Just keep it the hell out of the schools!
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:20am
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Even though I am non-religious I agree with the statement you just made. You don't want to think what you believe is bull shit, whilst I don't want to think what I believe (or lack thereof) is bull shit.
    Therefore, these two beliefs have reached an impasse and must agree to disagree. However, it seems, in this world that is impossible.

    However, I found this to be an intriguing and though provoking read.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:09am
  • Kai Valentine.

    Kai Valentine. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Of COURSE it's biased.
    I'm Adventist.
    I don't really appreciate when people try to "convert" me to non-God-believing (since i cant spell athiest right) or convince me that what I believe in is a bunch of magical fairy dust.
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:01am
  • IAmATourist

    IAmATourist (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think everyone on this comment section should take a step back and look at what they're saying. Let's be civil, people. :3
    January 5th, 2011 at 01:00am