One Direction First Artists to Beat Adele

The BRIT awards ceremony took place yesterday in the O2 Arena London. The winners have been revealed but I'd like to say a few more words about 'The Best Single' category.

This year's competition in this category was really very tough. First, let’s take a look at the list of nominees so we know who we're talking about it:

• Adele - Someone Like You
• Ed Sheeran - The A Team
• Example - Changed The Way You Kissed Me
• Jessie J ft Bob - Price Tag
• JLS ft Dev - She Makes Me Wanna
• Military Wives/Gareth Malone - Wherever You Are
• Olly Murs ft Rizzle Kicks - Heart Skips A Beat
• One Direction – What Makes You Beautiful
• Pixie Lott - All About Tonight
• The Wanted - Glad You Came

I was extremely interested in results of this. I voted in almost every category this year but this one was too tough for me. I love most of these songs because they are hits in most of the countries worldwide but the results really caught me by surprise.

I was 100% sure Adele would win it because (I think) she won every award she was ever nominated for. But One Direction won! Don't get me wrong, I love their music but how on Earth could this happen?

One Direction's fans are mostly teenage girls, Adele and some other nominees have fans in all age groups. You can say they have the biggest fanbase out there but I don't think that's true. People either love or hate them. Those who say, "Oh, I like a few songs of theirs," don't exist. But people gotta love Adele's Rolling In The Deep and Someone Like You because they can find themselves in it. The lyrics are so heartfelt you can actually feel the pain she felt when she was writing them. Pixie Lott's party anthem All About Tonight is also a huge hit but then on the other side, we have boy bands JLS, The Wanted and One Direction. They all get screaming girls whenever they go.

One Direction improved so much in the past year and achieved so much, so I think they deserve a BRIT. It'll keep them going. Adele knows she's amazing and she doesn't need another award to confirm that. She does everything with her voice only and that's why we love her.

You can find other BRIT winners and nominees at BRITS.co.uk.

Latest articles