A Messed-Up Generation? - Comments

  • Hola1123

    Hola1123 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I seriously think you're hanging out with the wrong people if you think our entire generation is based off of getting high and drunk. Plus, it's not really justifiable to generalize a single generation when it's mostly the older generations that get drunk. My entire group of friends don't even touch alcohol (for the most part). So I really think its based on the people you hang out with and not so much an entire generation.
    July 14th, 2012 at 01:03am
  • Somethin'else

    Somethin'else (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I liked this article. I think when you were talking about reading books and listening to music, you were just giving examples, just saying that there are better ways to live your life than killing brain cells. And I totally agree with your point. A lot of kids now days think that the only way to live, is to get drunk, get high, etc. And the people who don't do the drugs or are still a virgin when their fifteen get picked on and called 'boring.' But then again, I think you make it sound like all kids are doing that, which is not true. I think the 'good' kids are usually the not as social type and that's the problem. I think the good kids need to get out there and hang out with people, show them that you can do other stuff for fun. And show the other kids the benefits to actually having a good relationship with your parents and getting good grades in school and so on. Just hang out with them without making them feel like a peice of crap just because of how they spend a friday night.
    July 13th, 2012 at 01:41am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    Facebook isn't ruining people. Facebook keeps me updated on important issues and I had a very awesome debate about abortion on it the other day.

    You can't blame a site or a camera for a person's actions. At the end of the day, their actions are their own.
    July 10th, 2012 at 06:28pm
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    You're talkin' to the wrong people!
    June 18th, 2012 at 10:56am
  • DarkestStorm

    DarkestStorm (335)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I wouldn't assume what teens are doing. Just because some don't like reading or rock music doesn't mean they're getting high or having sex or whatever you think. This also isn't really an article. I think you should have gone into depth and really researched this. Maybe use some facts on teen pregnancy and drug use. Something to back up your assumptions.
    May 23rd, 2012 at 06:54am
  • Modern.Sunshine

    Modern.Sunshine (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Please read my lastest journal on 4/20!

    Now, I'm also 16. I did the same things you did over break.

    I'm edge & I get shit for it because I'm young & refuse to do what most teens are doing. However, I don't think our generation is messed up. Hey, it's not the best but not. That bad. I believe people should do what makes them happy. To us that sticking our nose it a book most kid freak out at by it's thickness with our earbuds in listening bands no one has ever heard of. To others it maybe having a blast getting high & drunk with their friends then posting it on FB.

    I don't have FB ( parents won't let me) but I wish I did. Not so I can see all the girls half naked & drunk from school with 'YOLO' as their caption but to like all my favorite bands & all the new upcoming bands pages so I can support.


    I hope this helped somehow :)

    <3lessthanthree
    April 20th, 2012 at 09:28pm
  • Marilyn Manson.

    Marilyn Manson. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with you. I love reading rock books, writing, and pictures in general whether it be taking or making them. And yes, i do like drinking and getting high, but it's not something I make my life in the least.
    March 30th, 2012 at 07:28pm
  • raroman

    raroman (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with most. And you aren't better than these people if your accusing and assuming that. Yes, people are getting high, getting drunk, having sex, but thats their problem, some people are just not mature. And some people are, and they know that teenagers are in a stage where both their personalities and brains are developing, THAT is being mature. Liking a certain specific group of activities does not make you mature, and making a subjective article makes you look even less smart. ARTICLES ARE OBJECTIVE.
    March 24th, 2012 at 01:15am
  • beakermary

    beakermary (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I think a majority is what they see. We see drunk teens, and high ones all the time. We see violence in the media as well. I think alot still like to ready but for activity, and other things I agree that things need to change. They are lazy people who need to put the phone down, stop texting and get up and do something.
    March 22nd, 2012 at 02:34am
  • faster.

    faster. (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I feel like there are as many teens out there who are still into reading, listening to good music, writing, and other creative outlets as there are teens who just want to get high all the time, as well as a large percentage of teens who don't fall into either category. Still, I can understand how sometimes it can feel like you're the only one left who's not doing [this and that], or the only one left who IS doing [whatnot], but I can guarantee that if you dig deep enough or maybe try to reach out to others in different groups more, you'll realize that there are loads of different teens out there who are into a wide range of activities. Not everyone is into drugs (and a lot of the ones who are are also into music, art, reading and other things like that), and there are loads others out there like you who are into creative outlets and the such (hell, if there weren't, Mibba weren't be here), you just have to know where to look :P
    March 21st, 2012 at 02:12am
  • angle19

    angle19 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I know how you feel, but you need to just let it go. Let others live their life the way they want to. If they turn out right that's good for them, if not just be glade you didn't go down the same path they are on, but if you live a life with out adventure then where will that lead?
    March 18th, 2012 at 11:50pm
  • Lo_east

    Lo_east (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    You're painting the wrong picture here. Teenagers are supposed to experiment with who they are, and some of that entails drugs, drinking, sex, and doing things that not everyone approves of. Some people, like yourself, expeiment with different genres of movies and books, but that doesn't give you a liscence to bash them. People do what they like to do. There is no need to write an article saying how you are better than them because you like the internet and write. It's rude.
    March 18th, 2012 at 07:06am
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    A) This belongs in the journal section.

    B) While I agree that there are a lot of teenagers ruining themselves with constant parrying and no attempt at making a life or future, that's not the whole generation or even every teen that parties. This "article" is way too generalized.

    C) There is no set standard of "good" music, books, or movies. Everyone's taste is different. This "article" is way too biased.
    March 18th, 2012 at 06:56am
  • Rustie Vengeance

    Rustie Vengeance (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I completely agree with this. 'Nuff said.
    March 11th, 2012 at 10:03pm
  • running in circles;

    running in circles; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I think you're right in some parts. It's true. We're a different generation from the last, but the generation before us were not like their parents' generation either. The world is changing, and I'm not saying it's for the good or better, but it seems like in this article, you're too focused on the ugly part of our generation. I know tons of teens who don't drink or get high. Yay, for teenagers.
    March 11th, 2012 at 05:38am
  • Symphonicmelody

    Symphonicmelody (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I really agree with some of your points and the general message as a whole. Pre-teen to teens aren't like they used to be. They learn and know things well before they need to. It seems like everyone either drinks or gets high or wants sex. Look at how many pregnant teens there are. And they disagree with everything you said/stand against because it points out the wrong they're doing. I have to say, the media doesn't help a bit in any of this and the majority of parents are just... no longer parenting.
    March 6th, 2012 at 06:32pm
  • ImaginaryPangolin

    ImaginaryPangolin (155)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Australia
    i agree with some of the points you've made, but at the same time i think youve generalised a little too much about teenagers these days. i think the reason it appears as if all teenagers are drunk partiers is that the ones who are into that also have more space on the internet to post about it -- and especially on facebook. so maybe its not as bad as it seems...
    March 5th, 2012 at 09:58am
  • Skela_chibi

    Skela_chibi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Puerto Rico
    I think in my opinion it quite normal since must of the teen are rebel that is just quite normal I have a friend of mine that drink and smoke but keep some good grade but like people say we can choose whatever we want.
    March 4th, 2012 at 11:19pm
  • The Master

    The Master (15)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    This could have been a journal article.

    You make points without any attempt to back it up with evidence.
    March 4th, 2012 at 01:21pm
  • Brah;

    Brah; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Peru
    There many aspects and points of view on the subject but I think a major reason to all this is the internet and how we use it. You, probably like me, learned english by reading and listening to music, using the internet as a tool to learn and explore things that many times arent at your reach. Like mibba, a place to read, write and get feedback, explore your abilities and get better.It all depends on the persons way of thinking, I rather read, draw and listen to music while other teens, more social and maybe less mature rather expirience things in other ways. Its a phase. I can assure you that. Once you´ve tried with different things you get tired of them and change. Those kids who get high will probably start reading at some point of theire lifes and you will probably expirience those things as well. It happened to me. I used to read almost everyday and music was a great part of my life (still is) but with time you start wondering what if? and just try different things. Im not saying you should go out and get high, but try doing things those other kids do, just for the sake of trying.
    March 4th, 2012 at 11:48am