What Defines a Family?

What is a family? Or, what defines family?

My family is a bit stereotypical; the big house in the suburbs, the white picket fence, and a pool in the backyard. We're a pretty normal family, except for one fact. I am the happy teenage daughter of a lesbian couple and, throughout my life, people would often ridicule me and some would say that I had a 'fake family.' My parents grew up together and when they were in their twenties, they realized they were in love. Six years later, my mom was artificially inseminated and soon after gave birth to my older brother. They were happy. They were in love. They had a baby. Everything seemed to be perfect. My other brother was born four years after that and in another six years I came along. I never really noticed that we were different when I was growing up. I had my mom Alice that gave birth to me, and I had my 'daddy' Raquel. I loved my family and I still do, but there was a long time in my life that I hated them for their choices because I was constantly made fun of.

I believe that gay and lesbian couples are perfectly fit to raise children of their own. I am living proof that there is nothing 'wrong' with those children when they grow up. I am currently attending on of the best high schools in America. One of my brothers designs video games and the other is a Marine. Both of my brothers have children of their own that absolutely adore their two grandmothers. On their own, my parents are the most kind and most honorable people that anyone will ever meet.

A family is just people that love you and will always be there for you. It can be your friends, your parents, your siblings, your cousins, or someone you haven't even met yet.

If you believe in gay rights, thank you, because it really makes a big difference. If you don't believe in gay rights, think of it from the other end. Imagine if you were seen as 'disgusting' because of someone you loved. This is the Civil Rights movement of our generation, if we don't take a chance and make a change than nobody will.

Latest articles