Abortion Affects Nomination Reception

Abortion Affects Nomination Reception Recently, President Barack Obama has announced that he will nominate Kansas governor Kathleen Sebelius for health and human services. This nomination has been met with much criticism from the pro-life community because of her support of abortion’s legality. Sebelius has been criticized by the archbishop of Kansas City, and Catholic League President Bill Donohue has called her “an enemy of the unborn.”

Most pro-life people are most disturbed because, as a member of Health and Human Services, Sebelius does have the potential to affect abortion which worries many. Sebelius commented on unrest and stated that "My Catholic faith teaches me that all life is sacred, and personally I believe abortion is wrong. However, I disagree with the suggestion that criminalizing women and their doctors is an effective means of achieving the goal of reducing the number of abortions in our nation."

Her nomination has been well received in the democratic community, considering her work with insurance companies. The Obama team has stated that regardless of her stance on abortion, Sebelius is more than qualified for the position and will make a great addition to the team.

Sebelius was already under fire in her home state of Kansas for shooting down a bill that would put strict regulations on abortion. The bill passed through the state congress, but she vetoed it for fear that it would be unconstitutional.

Latest articles