Clinton Secures Pardon for American Journalists in North Korea

Clinton Secures Pardon for American Journalists in North Korea On Tuesday, former President Bill Clinton paid an unannounced visit to Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, in order to discuss the release of two American journalists placed in captivity after they were detained by North Korean soldiers on Chinese borders. Laura Ling, 32, and Euna Lee, 36, were on a reporting assignment from Current TV, a San Francisco-based media company co-founded by Al Gore, the former vice president. They were eventually convicted and sentenced to 12 years of hard labor for committing hostilities against the Korean nation and illegal entry.
Former President Bill Clinton's negotiations with the North Korean government has allowed for the pardoning of the two journalists.

The last time an American official met with Mr. Kim was in October 2000, when Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, Mr. Clinton’s top envoy, traveled to Pyongyang. On Tuesday, Mr. Clinton's meeting with the North Korean president was strictly directed to only discuss the imprisoned journalists. Administration officials sought that Mr. Clinton would engage in discussions with Mr. Kim Jong-il pertaining to North Korea’s nuclear program.

Mr. Clinton's private negotiations marked his first diplomatic mission abroad on behalf of the administration. Mr. Clinton’s wife, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, has been deeply involved in the journalists’ case. His visit also leaves White House officials hopeful for renewed relationships with North Korea, which under the Bush administration, deteriorated rapidly.

The captivation of Euna Lee and Laura Ling came amid a period of heightened tensions following the second nuclear device in May and the subsequent launchings of several ballistic missiles. It is speculated that Kim Jong-il's health is in danger after a stroke last summer and as a result, the North Korean government is facing a succession struggle.

On Tuesday, the Ling and Lee families issued a joint statement on their Web site in which they thanked the Obama administration, President Clinton and all the people who have supported our families through this ordeal.

Latest articles