Obama Tours Pacific Nations

Obama Tours Pacific Nations President Obama arrived in Singapore today, continuing his tour of Asia. This is President Obama's first trip to Asia since January when he took office. His goal is to revitalize relationships with pacific countries, particularly Japan.

Obama arrived in Singapore in order to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum, an organization composed of 21 Pacific countries that aims to increase economic prosperity of member nations. While speaking at the event, Obama emphasized his desire to put a focus on trade and economic growth with pacific countries, and he made it clear that he did not plan to contain this effort merely within China and Japan. "in Beijing and beyond," he says, "we will work to deepen our strategic and economic dialogue."

In addition to talking about the economy, Obama also urged Myanmar to take more powerful steps towards becoming a democratic nation, starting by releasing political prisoners. North Korea was another focal point of Obama's speech, and he encouraged North Korea to resume the six party talks that they had previously engaged in. America's role in climate change was also discussed.

Earlier on Friday, Obama arrived in Tokyo and met with Yukio Hatoyama, the Prime Minister of Japan. Obama stated that both American and Japan "have been and will continue to be equal partners," in economic growth and other diplomatic matters. Obama also met and dined with the Japanese Emperor and Empress.

President Obama's trip is not nearly complete, and he plans to meet with many more leaders including Chinese President Hu Jintao, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, and the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev. Obama also plans to meet with the Dalai Lama, in spite of Chinese opposition. In addition to diplomatic stops, Obama will also be engaging in a town-hall style meeting in Shanghai, and sight seeing in Beijing.

Latest articles