New Funding to Assist Teenage Parents - Comments

  • Midnight Ruby

    Midnight Ruby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    I think this program is great for the pregnant WOMEN. As for the teenagers not so much, it would be great if the money was for the kids of teenage parent but as Nolan said teenage parents have already proven their not responsible so why give them money? Give their kids the money not them.
    July 4th, 2010 at 09:44pm
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I think this program has the potential to reduce the number of people on welfare [i]in the future[/i], and you seem to have a major issue with welfare. If your're a child to a teenage parent, the opportunities you have are incredibly limited, which is why so many do end up poor and without education.

    The fact that this program is so competitive ($25 million a year isn't really that much when it's spread over 50 states in the grand scheme of things) will ensure as little of the money is wasted as possible. This isn't guaranteed money, states have to develop the best programs to compete for it.

    And I'm sorry, by the way, I just noticed your user name was Nolan, not Noah xD
    July 4th, 2010 at 08:24pm
  • Nolan

    Nolan (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    That's all nice and everything, but I know how these "let's help the kids" programs go. The money supposedly goes to the parents to support the kids (like child support from a divorced parent), but because the parents are kids themselves the money is squandered.

    Unless some third power is dictating and monitoring what this money goes toward, it's just going to end up the same as welfare, which, by the way, was also instituted to help.

    I'm simply looking at the fact that people aren't responsible. Especially if this money is going out to teenagers who have kids.
    July 4th, 2010 at 05:54pm
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Noah, I think you're looking at this in the entirely wrong way my friend. You know what happens to the KIDS of teenage parents because, in spite of what you may think, they often don't receive much help? They end up in jail, on welfare and without higher education. Programs like these are put in place to help the KIDS of teenage parents, so that 18 years from now they don't continue they cycle. Your comment was honestly narrow minded and you're not looking at the big picture.
    July 4th, 2010 at 05:10pm
  • Adam Glambert.

    Adam Glambert. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Thanks, Obama. Thanks. -_-;;

    I agree with [b]Nolan[/b].
    July 4th, 2010 at 09:04am
  • Nolan

    Nolan (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Oh great, more support for teenage stupidity. Just what we need to be doing with our money.

    I wish I could apologize for being so forward, but it really irritates me how much support teenage mothers get. If their families want to support them...great. But the government? Absolute waste of money.

    I've worked my butt off all my life to do good in school and ready myself for college, but because I'm white, poor, and male, I have to rely on ungodly ACT scores or massive amounts of potential debt in order to pursue anything past High School.

    The fact the government wants to hand out money to teenage mothers for college sickens me.

    I have nothing to say about mothers who aren't teenagers. That's a whole different ball park.

    Incidentally, this was nicely written, albeit short, article.
    July 4th, 2010 at 06:29am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I think this will do a lot of good for people. It's actually pretty sad how pregnant women are treated...
    July 4th, 2010 at 05:44am