Obama Secures Democratic Nomination

Obama Secures Democratic Nomination As the Montana and South Dakota primaries closed on Tuesday June 3, 2008, Barack Obama secured his party's presidential nomination by reaching the 2,118 delegates needed to push Hillary Clinton out of the race. His victory is monumental in the history of the democratic party and inspirational to many. Obama first expressed his thoughts on winning in his blog, stating "This is our time. Our time to turn the page on the policies of the past and bring new energy and new ideas to the challenges we face. Our time to offer a new direction for the country we love."

With the nomination going to Obama, Hillary Clinton made statements to New York lawmakers, one of which was Representative Charles Rangel, that she was open to the idea of being Barack Obama's running mate as vice president.

When Obama has been asked about Clinton's role in November election, he said"Senator Clinton is an outstanding public servant, she has worked tirelessly on this campaign, she has been a great senator for the state of New York and she is going to be a great asset when we go into November to make sure that we defeat the Republican." Such kind words seem to indicate that Obama is also open to Hillary as his running mate.

Hillary's support had been wearing thin for some time, as Obama received more and more endorsements, including former President Jimmy Carter. James Clyburn, a prominent representative also announced his support for Obama, stating that "He has energized our constituents. He is redrawing an electoral map for Democrats."

Latest articles