Doomsday Approaches? - Comments

  • creatureofthedark

    creatureofthedark (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    A little off topic, but what the heck.

    There is no proof that the world will end in 2012. Some Myan prophit could have been working on the calendar, but croaked at the time he had put in the date of "doomsday". Maybe it's just unfinished?

    Maybe he had known when the world would end. Mayans have predicted things that have come true. But I think something happened that prevented him from telling us. God doesn't want us to know when we are supposed to perish from the face of the Earth as a human race...so lets leave the matters of prohecies and psychics alone. We have no right meddling in it.

    The world will probably end because we couldn't keep our curiousity in check...
    January 8th, 2010 at 05:06am
  • Keith Moon

    Keith Moon (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Oh...and I found this on a website...it is very very good:

    But the fact remains, the Mayan Doomsday Prophecy is purely based on a calendar which we believe hasn't been designed to calculate dates beyond 2012. Mayan archaeo-astronomers are even in debate as to whether the Long Count is designed to be reset to 0.0.0.0.0 after 13.0.0.0.0, or whether the calendar simply continues to 20.0.0.0.0 (approximately 8000 AD) and then reset. As Karl Kruszelnicki brilliantly writes:
    "…when a calendar comes to the end of a cycle, it just rolls over into the next cycle. In our Western society, every year 31 December is followed, not by the End of the World, but by 1 January. So 13.0.0.0.0 in the Mayan calendar will be followed by 0.0.0.0.1 - or good-ol' 22 December 2012, with only a few shopping days left to Christmas." - Excerpt from Dr Karl's "Great Moments in Science".
    August 20th, 2008 at 06:26am
  • Keith Moon

    Keith Moon (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Honestly, people are getting scared for absolutely nothing. Everyone has stated dates that the world would end; and 6-6-06 was supposed to be the coming of the Antichrist (even though the Satanic number is not 666).

    I personally believe that the government/scientists are doing this to:

    A. Scare people into fixing up the worlds problems
    B. Okay. When you are close to dying...you do all the things you ever wanted to do. Doing that makes the government richer and the economy greater. Doomsday 2012 = Money Scam.

    And besides...how in the world can the government know when the world is going to end by simply a standard CLOCK. That's like me going up to the alarm clock on my bedside table and running around insanely screaming my head off because its 30 seconds away from Midnight.

    We cannot predict the end of the world also because of time zones. In England, it will be Dec. 21 2012 on a different day than say....China. That would mean that the world would have to end on 3 separate days. Okay. The world can't blow up and fizzle 3 times in a row. Use common sense.

    All Doomsday 2012 is going to do is cause worldwide panic and chaos. It will only make the world's problems worse, since we will say 'OMG. The world will end. Let's make nuclear weapons and blow up our enemies! It won't matter since the world's gonna end tomorrow!'

    The Doomsday Theory could be correct in one way - The Doomsday Theory itself, will cause the end of mankind if the worldwide panic occurs.

    Wars will break out because they will think everyone will die the next day anyways.

    And then..on December 22, 2012, the scientists will say, "We great and Almighty Scientologists have saved the day! The clock has been pushed back to 11 o'clock.'

    Doomsday 2012 = Bullshit.

    Wow...I ranted.
    August 20th, 2008 at 06:21am
  • Misericordia.

    Misericordia. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Wiki it. The clock is symbolic and has been teetering on the edge of Doomsday for decades. Nothing to worry about.
    August 10th, 2008 at 06:10am
  • ForTheLoveofReptar

    ForTheLoveofReptar (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Wow funny enough when the bomb goes off it would be cute if a flag came out and said "GOT YA"
    August 9th, 2008 at 02:46am
  • sabotage.

    sabotage. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I don't believe any of it. the worlds going to end when it wants too. Many people said that a planet was going to crash into Earth or a asteroid, comet, something, causing the world to end. Or 2012, 6-6-06, even 8-8-08. It's all BS, get over it people.
    August 1st, 2008 at 09:15pm
  • soft rains.

    soft rains. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'm waiting for the end of the world.
    My friend and I are going to go nuts if it's in our lifetime.
    No cop is going to arrest you during Doomsday. =p
    August 1st, 2008 at 07:13pm
  • Rampage

    Rampage (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    6-6-06 Just means the coming of the best. I would asume. And It's too early to be doomsday.
    August 1st, 2008 at 05:59pm
  • absolute-energy

    absolute-energy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Another thing, when the Idianna Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out, I was watching something on the Sci-Fi channel and they were saying that the skulls do exist and are a part a Mayan-predicted doomsday...
    August 1st, 2008 at 04:53pm
  • Clover.Kaulitz

    Clover.Kaulitz (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Wait, didn't everyone freak out when 6-6-06 was coming? I heard a ton of people saying thats when the world was going to end, but here we are, more two years later, still alive.
    <3

    I don't know how to feel about this whole 2012 situation but I'm hoping that the world ends in the year 3000 [when not much changes but people live under water]
    xD
    August 1st, 2008 at 10:01am
  • castle.

    castle. (2000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    Can I point out one thing here?

    The world can't end on a certain date, just to state that.
    Because some places it'll be the day after, and other places on Earth it'd be the day before. So, time has to end at the same time everywhere from what I've heard and read about. Time isn't going to end on a specific date.
    August 1st, 2008 at 08:17am
  • TheSweetestSin.

    TheSweetestSin. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    101
    Location:
    United States
    I'm not saying I don't believe the world won't experience something big within the next few years, because it most likely will especially with our current economy and enviroment. Though we'd just have to wait and see within the next couple of years. I read a couple articles that dismiss the theory of 2012 though I don't know how reliable they are. They all could be written by some 30 year old guy who lives in the basement of his mother's house for all I know! But they make a lot of sense. So if you wanna read them just Google "2012" and look for a link that says "No Doomsday in 2012" - it was written a few months ago. There's also another one dailycommonsense.com. I thought they were a good read.

    I honestly don't believe about the whole comet, polar shift, Planet X, sun blowing up, or galactic realignment will happen anytime soon. There hasn't been much info from NASA either. I used to be scared but now I'm just thinking this is all bogus. People have been making predictions of the end of the world for centuries. None of them have been correct. Like someone said if its not 2012 people will panic again about 2036 (I think that's the year).

    Facts and sources are all limited. I don't think people should worry about it. No one really knows when the world will end or how. It's life. Just live it. Everyone is gonna die sooner or later.

    Haha this was long. But I just wanted to voice my opinion on this. I did so much research on this last month. Haha. :)
    August 1st, 2008 at 06:18am
  • Scottie

    Scottie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    okay... so... huh? people say like... a million dates! i'm like... confused. 0.0
    August 1st, 2008 at 05:45am
  • Static Age

    Static Age (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I think this is completely ridiculous. As some of the comments below said, people have been predicting the end of the world ever since time began. And they've always been wrong. Sure, this time could be the lucky time, but I highly doubt it. I agree with one of the comments below: Y2K all over again.

    Oh and to Squirrely.Kassi.: Earthquakes [i]are[/i] random for the most part. And just because the wind was blowing when the earthquake happened doesn't make it a sign of the Apocolypse.

    This was a well-written article, by the way. :)
    August 1st, 2008 at 05:27am
  • PudgeTheMagicCow

    PudgeTheMagicCow (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    well obviously the world will end eventually
    but whats the point predicting it
    im not exactly sure how i feel about the world ending in 2012
    the say that because its the first time the ever that the aztec calender and the chinese calender end on the same day
    theres also global warming which is going way out of hand
    i also believe that there is no way to predict the evd of the world.
    i know a lot of people who are dreading december 12th 2012
    but personally im waiting to see what they say on december 13th 2012
    August 1st, 2008 at 04:20am
  • TearsOfTheYouth

    TearsOfTheYouth (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    So when are we dying now?
    August 1st, 2008 at 02:16am
  • nerdy_

    nerdy_ (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Well, if it's not 2012 it's 2036. Supposedly an asteroid or something is going to either hit the Earth or just skim the atmosphere.

    People have to die some time, right? Who cares when it happens. We'll be dead. Nothing can fix that.
    August 1st, 2008 at 01:57am
  • Ryou Bakura.

    Ryou Bakura. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Oh, wow.
    Reading that is a bit unsettling.
    I mean, I generally don't believe in that sort of thing, but still.

    As for the talk about the Mayans, the Spanish burnt over three quarters of their libraries way back when they came to whereever the Mayans lived.
    So they could've ended up burning the rest of their calanders and all they have left is up until 2012 or whenever the world is supposed to go ka-boom.
    August 1st, 2008 at 01:41am
  • CecilioLux

    CecilioLux (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Oh!
    And people said that the world was going to end in 2000

    So...personally, I'm not to sure about this.
    D:
    August 1st, 2008 at 01:00am
  • CecilioLux

    CecilioLux (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Isn't it possible that the Aztecs DIED OUT before they got to finish their calender?
    August 1st, 2008 at 12:58am