You May Regret That Move... - Comments

  • Just butting in here... I'm not exactly disagreeing with emma per say... but yes, yes I am. Schenn is good, but he is NOT phenominal in any way. He's an average rookie, and most certainly not up to the skill level of both Carter and Richards, and totally not worth both of them together. I don't think it was a bad idea to trade Carter and Richards (I had also heard that they were always just doing their own thing).

    P.S. My favorite is Simmonds, since he's a HUGE, awkward looking lanky man who can't skate very well but still manages to get goals (except for the fact that they all look like an accident). I think it's really funny that whenever he scores it looks like he was just flailing and it went in XD
    December 9th, 2011 at 02:33am
  • didn't this particular trade have more to do with making room for bryzgalov and his massive salary?
    August 16th, 2011 at 10:53pm
  • this wasn't much of an article...it's more of a rant/journal entry. Articles are meant to be informative, and not be so opinionated. If this were more about the trade of the players, and why the team made this decision, it would be more of an article. As a writer for my local newspaper, I know what articles should contain. This belongs in a forum or on a blog; not categorized as an article.
    August 7th, 2011 at 02:59am
  • I definitely agree with this article, except I'm not a Flyers fan, as I'm from Pittsburgh, but that's not the point here. The point is is that the calls management for many of the teams for this season are making very...odd...choices. It just recently occurred to me that the what the NHL may be afraid of is a shut-out like the NFL, thus losing games, players, whatever, etc. It is not just management, it's players as well. Jagr and Talbot both turned down the Pens this season, which was startling as they both have history and a sort of home with the Pens, but it was their call. Very odd.
    July 28th, 2011 at 05:55am
  • My cousin, Darroll, played for the Flyers last year and he said the trade was necessary since the two, Richards and Carter, were both kind of just doing their own thing when it came to being in the dressing room. Maybe not a smart move, skillwise, or stats-wise, but as far as the trade, it was for the good of the team.
    July 28th, 2011 at 01:52am
  • I think Brayden Schenn is more than a decent player. And he was worth giving away Richards, he's phenomenal. I don't wanna blame all the Blades' success this year on him, but they were pretty horrible and low key before he came around. They were on a 15+ win streak this year, they lost to PA of all teams, but they finished off the season extremely well. And I'm just really happy he got sent to a team where he'll actually get noticed.
    I was surprised when I heard Jeff Carter AND Mike Richards got traded, I was a little heart broken for Mike that he got sent to LA. When does anyone make a big huge trade like that? Not often. And maybe they sent 'em away to make room for Jagr, I don't know.. I'd hope not.
    But I don't think they'll regret it.
    I do think this should've been a journal entry, though. 'Cause it's supposed to be a news article and not your thoughts. :)
    July 20th, 2011 at 12:22am
  • Personally, I feel like the management may have a better idea of what they're doing than you'd think. Sure, it's shocking that after such great seasons, they traded them away, but they got some good, young talent, not to mention they freed up cap space after the deal they signed goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to. I don't know that it was a good or a bad move, only time will tell. I can say, however, that it doesn't make sense for you to say that you'd know more than the people who made it their jobs to do such a thing as trade away good players for young talent and cap space, which was the main point of the trades. I can understand that it sucks to lose such great players (See the Daniel Briere/Chris Drury fiasco the Buffalo Sabres had for another example of great players let go), but it's the job of the management to make the tough decisions like this.
    July 17th, 2011 at 05:39pm
  • Carter got traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets, not the Colorado Avalanches. I wouldn't discount Simmonds or Schenn either. Being a very, very, big Kings fans and growing up watching the Kings evolve, this is probably the best team they've had since Gretzky played for them. Simmers is more then just a heavy fist. His line with Richardson and Clifford did so amazing towards the end of the season and during the playoffs. Schenn is also one of the most talked about upcoming players who the Flyers are really counting on. A lot of teams wanted Lombardi to trade to Schenn to them.

    I think Richards and Gagne (who played for the Flyers in the 09/10 season, TBL in 10/11) will both really benefit from LA. We did need more offense because we all know the Kings are pretty high up in Defense (especially with Johnson & Doughty) and pretty high up in goal tending but put Richards on a line with Kopitar and you have some magic right there. A lot of media & fans are saying LA is the team to watch out even more so now because it's a young team. But they'll fit in here. Gagne & Richards are use to our coaching staff because they were coaches in Philly when these guys started out. Played with some of the Kings players for Team Canada or just know them on personal level. Also some Flyers fans I've talked to have said that Richards might actually do better out in LA because he doesn't have the C on shoulder.

    Sure the Kings have never won a cup, yet, but the whole team has the drive and determination to get it. That's why most of them are signing very, very, long contracts. But there's a handful of teams that haven't won the cup, have gotten close but not close enough. (ie the Canucks)

    I, along with everyone involved with hockey, were shocked by these trades. Especially since Richards just signed the extension contract back in February. All the Kings fans were very upset to see Simmers traded, we didn't expect it because he's a very popular player and is still growing. But in the end, it's a business, GM's make trades they think will help their team. Will they work, meh, you wont know until the season is through.

    Shocker of a trade yes, but I don't think they'll regret it . . . unless the Kings or Columbus wins the Cup, then maybe depending on how their season goes. We won't know until October.
    July 17th, 2011 at 07:45am