You May Regret That Move...

How many teams do you know would trade two of their best players, a day before the draft? Would you even consider trading your captain and alternate, both of which are world class? Would you risk it on a couple of youngsters and a few extra draft picks? I know that I certainly wouldn't.

Now I may be a naïve, teenaged girl who doesn’t know a thing about coaching or putting together team but, with that said, I’d like to think that I have a firm head on my shoulders. It appears that the Philadelphia Flyers’ management doesn't.

We all know that, even if we don’t want to admit it, the Flyer’ have some world class players within their ranks. When thinking about that, who springs to mind? How about Jeff Carter? Or maybe even captain Mike Richards? To me, those two are up there at the top for the Flyers. However, for whatever reason, the Philadelphia Flyers’ organisation doesn’t agree.

Don’t get me wrong, Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and Jake Voracek are decent players. They can each bring something new to the mix, even if it just an interesting fight in Simmonds’ case. Even so, is that something new worth losing two star players?

Thinking about it in more depth, can a player like Mike Richards further his career in somewhere like Los Angeles, who have never won a Stanley Cup and haven’t won their conference or division since the early 90s? The Kings are a good team at times, but are they able to provide Richards with anything new? Same goes for Carter. Can Colorado truly give him what he needs? Players like Richards and Carter need to be challenged to prosper.

But, of course, I am but a naïve teenaged girl. So, with that in mind, I will be waiting with baited breath this season to see if the new additions to the Orange side of Pennsylvania do bring something to the table and make the loss of Richards and Carter worthwhile, or if the Flyers do regret their decisions.

Latest articles