The Rise and Fall of Manny Pacquiao - Comments

  • This.Useless.Heart.

    This.Useless.Heart. (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I watched the Bradley match in a sports bar in Mexico. XD I know pretty much nada about boxing; I just did it to hang out with people really. However, I can still say I think Pacquiao was robbed in that fight. Like, I thought he won, until I heard a few days later that he somehow didn't. It made me pretty annoyed and I'm not even a fan, so I can't imagine how infuriating it is for actual fans.
    As for the other stuff, I don't really follow so I can't comment, but I just wanted to share that little anecdote, I suppose.
    December 21st, 2012 at 04:56pm
  • alpha.

    alpha. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    @maylor
    @Maybe.

    Really? I've never heard this before, but I think that's a great idea! He always talks about his kids in interviews and how they want him to win, but he just wants to spend time with them.

    @SmilingScarlet

    I know exactly how you feel. Or felt. Because I felt the exact same way as you, but opposite. I basically hated every other boxer that fought Pacquiao, and Marquez winning didn't help at all. But after a bit of contemplating, I realized I was being stupid. Marquez deserved the win, especially with an end like that! (:

    (Also, you totally made my day, hearing that I changed your view on the subject!)

    @jerianne8998

    That's for sure! He's not only popular amongst Filipinos, but also around the world. He's quite the icon, for both what he does in the ring and out. And Manny Many Prizes? Hahaha, I don't think we have it here in Canada but I saw it on Jimmy Kimmel and I really wanna see it! I think it's adorable and a great idea.

    He's such a positive person, and it seems like the thing he cares least about is his boxing career. He only did it to get out of poverty anyways!

    @Necromanced.

    Oh man! Are you serious? That's kind of harsh. But I'm glad we have the same view! I doubt any of that stuff will go public since it's not backed with real proof (plus you'd look like a huge douche if you published something like that). And I really do hope that Manny will age like fine wine!

    @Lil' Matches

    Well, well, well. I was just thinking to myself that I ain't gonna let go of Pacquiao until I get another Filipino boxer! So I'll be sure to look out for your name on WBO and what not. (;

    And yeah, Pacquiao is a perfect example of someone to look up to. He doesn't care about what others think and only cares about his responsibilities as a father, boxing icon, and political figure.

    So cheers to Pacquiao!

    Thank you to everyone who shared their opinion! I'm glad you agree on or relate to my thoughts. And thank you for taking the time to tell me about your own thoughts! I really do appreciate it and it really made my day!
    December 18th, 2012 at 12:04am
  • Lil' Matches

    Lil' Matches (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I absolutely love Pacquiao, he's my idol, because i'm an ameteur boxer, and because he's filipino, like myself. I was a little bummed to see that he lost his fight with marquez, but to be a winner, you also need to know how to lose with class.
    My friends call me little Pacquiao, because they think I could accomplish what he did, but I could never compare to his fan base. Win or lose pacquiao will always be my hero. Very Happy
    And as for the fight with Bradley i definately know pacquiao should've won. Me and my friends had bets on it, and i already had the money in my hand when the judges called split decision. Sad but thats okay, because he's always a winner in my eyes.
    December 16th, 2012 at 10:46pm
  • Sonshine.

    Sonshine. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I absolutely love this article, simply because you're a Pacquiao fan, but you're still giving Marquez credit where credit is due! You would not believe (or maybe you could) how many people argued with me about this fight, and said that Marquez was either taking steroids, or some other muscle enhancement drug. It absolutely disgusted me, because both fighters are drug tested before the fights. Why couldn't people just admit that this fight wasn't Manny's best, and Marquez won? That is that. Even Freddy Roach tried to take some "blame" for Manny's loss. Nobody is saying, "Maybe Marquez won just because he was the better boxer in this fight." There's always some complication.

    Nonetheless, I still love Manny's fights, and Marquez has always been a favorite of mine. The boxing community should follow your role, and have a little more class when it comes to who won and who lost. (:

    And people shouldn't immediately think the worst of Manny and his age. George Foreman boxed well into his 40's, retiring at the age of 48. Last I heard, Manny wanted to retire because he had no time for his other responsibilities, and his family most importantly, nothing about his age. All the people talking about his age are probably making him feel worse about himself than he actually feels.
    December 15th, 2012 at 09:00pm
  • ohhh_arra

    ohhh_arra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Philippines
    Pacquiao will always be our hero(in Philippines) for bringing so much pride to the country. I am not arguing with anyone here, I'm just saying how proud and how lucky we still are to have Pacquiao.
    In my opinion, we here in Philippines don't even care if he lose or in because we are somehow jealous of his fat back account and his status i life. He's a very religious man, with happy family, (though lots of girls are swarming around her), very loving mother and a cogressman of his on province. he also have that little game show where he part of the money given is from his own pocket. He also, always helps, those people/family that are ruined by typhoons and calamities.
    He will always be our hero and one and only CHAMP!

    *just saying. Very Happy
    December 15th, 2012 at 04:42pm
  • Alsoldey

    Alsoldey (230)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    You know, after the first fight he had with Marquez I absolutely loathed Pacquiao! Most of it was because, you know, Marquez is Mexican and I am too, and seeing him have the fight robbed from him was just unbearable! But, I realized that it wasn't Pacquiao's fault at all, from what I heard the judges were sold on Pacquiao, and the bottom line is, I really hated the guy. But after reading your article...well I don't hate him at all.

    I'm glad I read your article, and trust me, I was just as shocked to hear that Pacquiao got knocked out. At first I seriously thought people were lying, but soon enough I started seeing the videos, and wow...your description of a hero having his cape taken away...well, that made me realize that everyone is human, and I shouldn't hold a grudge against a guy that is trying his hardest do something he loves.
    December 13th, 2012 at 06:13am
  • glitterbomb.

    glitterbomb. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    23
    Location:
    United States
    @ maylor

    I did too. Hopefully tahts true!!!! But I could see him not wanting to box in his forties....
    December 13th, 2012 at 05:03am
  • maylor

    maylor (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    94
    Location:
    Sweden
    I heard that after this fight he's spending time with his family. But it's not over because he's planning to come back next year.
    December 13th, 2012 at 04:50am