Death Row Avoided?

Death Row Avoided? Many have heard of the infamous John Lotter. He was involved with the murder of Teena Renae Brandon, a transsexual, who was born as a female.

Brandon moved to Falls City, Nebraska and started to date Lana Tisdel. Brandon was jailed for forging checks. When Lana bailed Brandon out of jail, she became curious about Brandon being placed in the female section of the jail. Soon Lana found out that Brandon was a female.

On Christmas eve in 1993, Brandon was forced to remove her pants by John and his partner Marvin Nissen. This was done to prove to Lana that Brandon was a girl. Tisdel denied any part in this and said she was forced to look.

Nissen and Lotter forced Brandon into a car after beating her up. When she was brought back to Nissen's house, she escaped through a window. Nissen and Lotter were questioned about Brandon's rape, but were not arrested. The report was dropped due to lack of evidence and Brandon went into hiding.

Nissen and Lotter went to Tisdel's house to find Brandon. After discovering that Brandon was not there they threatened Tisdel with a gun. Lana's mother told them that Brandon was staying at Lisa Lambert's house, who she lived with when she originally moved to Falls City.

Nissen and Lotter found Brandon under Lambert's bed. They shot and killed Brandon, Lambert and Phillip DeVine, who was also staying with her. They killed all three in front of Lambert's child.

Both men were arrested and jailed. Lotter was sentenced to death. This horrible story spawned an award winning film entitled "Boys Don't Cry".

This case has recently resurfaced. Nebraska only has one method of execution, which is the electric chair. Death row inmates are having their lawyers ask for a different means of execution. This debate is causing many death row cases to be reopened. Lotter is trying to get his case re-evaluated after Nissen changed his story. Lotter has said that the difference in execution methods does not matter to him. "Death is Death," he said.

With all of the confusion swirling, Lotter is getting some new found attention. He hopes the death sentence will be lifted. He might just get his wish. There is a petition to stop his death. 2257 have signed. Will his new supporters help him or will he be put to death for his abominable crimes?

Only time will tell.

Latest articles