How Can the Lyrics Be Blamed? - Comments

  • dexter

    dexter (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Argentina
    Music influences the soul, the mind, the emotions. Therefore it influences everything else. It's like a drug; an addiction. Music is lovely but also a temptation.
    But hey, that's my way of thinking. :)
    March 28th, 2009 at 04:26am
  • Private_Peas

    Private_Peas (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Music can't put ideas into peoples heads, but it can change moods and feelings towards things. A sad song can make us feel sad and cry, and an angry song can make us angry, maybe so angry to punch a hole in the wall.

    People aren't influenced into the actions that are told about in lyrics, their moods are swung with the lyrics and the noise, and it depends on what is on our mind if you decide to go do something because you are in the mood the song put you in, the decision has nothing to do what is literally being said by the lyrics.

    In other words, I agree with you. =) But I do think music CAN be influential in another way, but its not like that happens all the time.
    March 12th, 2009 at 04:52am
  • Eagle

    Eagle (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Your article had a good idea, but it didn't really move smoothly and prove the point.
    March 10th, 2009 at 06:18pm
  • Zayla Starr

    Zayla Starr (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    This is so true, and it angers me when the media portray the view that music and lyrics are to blame, when really they need to look at the true Psychology of it all.
    March 10th, 2009 at 11:26am
  • chelsie.

    chelsie. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I pretty much wrote every essay at school about this.

    Lyrics are a form of art, no one looks at Michelangelo's painting then blames it for a murder yet: Marilyn Manson can be blamed for an attack on a school.

    Goodness, I dislike people these days.

    Good Article!
    --Chelsie.
    March 9th, 2009 at 11:52pm
  • Chain Me Free

    Chain Me Free (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Great article!

    I believe lyrics and media are blamed because well, most people don't quite understand someones intentions unless they have gone through the same thing. And many people deny what they could have done to fix the problem.
    March 9th, 2009 at 10:10pm
  • the used.

    the used. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Haha, I love you.
    Seriously. xD

    This is such a fucking great article.
    For real, it's straight to the point.
    Throughout my life, I've listened to bands with strong lyrics ever since I bought my first CD 8 years ago.
    And even though the lyrics weren't involving flowers in meadows and the sunshine shining through and making everyone happy for all of their days, it still affected me.
    [i]But in the good way.[/i]
    Now, all I listen to is [b]The Used[/b].
    And you know what, even though those four amazing guys don't make music and lyrics that is suitable for everyone and the lyrics are 'cute', I still love it.
    Because their music made me pull through some rough times.
    And for that, music means everything to me. (:
    March 9th, 2009 at 02:34pm
  • bmth06

    bmth06 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Australia
    i totally agree with this article
    i have had plenty of problems in the past with my parents and in looking for the reasons they decide to blame everything and at one stage my taste in music.

    im into the whole "hardcore" scene and although its stereotyped to be all about killing themselves and hating the world, alot of it is not. Of course there are some exceptions to this but i have met some of the nicest people you will ever meet through this scene.

    people make decisions based on the people and environment that surrounds them. family, friends and emotional state of mind. it has nothing to do with the lyrical content of songs.
    March 9th, 2009 at 06:33am
  • MarriahShadz

    MarriahShadz (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    "If a person who listens to music with no violent lyrical content goes out and commits a violent crime does that mean it is still the music’s fault?"
    ^^ A really great point.
    And I totally agree with you, music cannot be blamed for a person's actions, that person is responible for themselves.
    March 9th, 2009 at 03:40am
  • NikkiEcstasy;

    NikkiEcstasy; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    Great article! :)
    Most lyrics aren't bad at all when compared to some of the stuff I listen too!

    seriously, try listening to Necro, ill Bill, or Cage.
    Amazingly gruesome lyrics, but some of the best beats ever.
    March 9th, 2009 at 02:28am
  • No Regrets

    No Regrets (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Good article. manny---- [i]some school shooting[/i]?!?!?!? That was the shooting at Columbine High School that shook education as we know it in America. Yes, Marilyn Manson was blamed. When he played a show there a few years later, all sorts of people protested, but all that happened was that the crowd of teenagers loved feeling rebellious because the religious figure heads said Marilyn Manson was bad.

    [/rant]
    March 8th, 2009 at 11:54pm
  • SilentWolf

    SilentWolf (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Canada
    I love music, But some people think music causes many problems in today soceity and shit. But to tell you the truth music is my anti-depressant, without music I would most likely be on a rampage.
    March 8th, 2009 at 11:08pm
  • taking back sunday.

    taking back sunday. (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    exxactly. I mean its not like bands/musicians are like "GO KILL SOMEONE. NOW. OR WE WONT MAKE ANY MORE MUSIC." in th e middle of a song. For god sakes.

    I dont believe that by listening to somehting you get influnenced badly. I really only get affected positivly. I mean, I dont go out and smoke and rob banks because music influenced me.
    If people would only have some common sense...
    March 8th, 2009 at 09:48pm
  • only human

    only human (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Music is and always will be a scapegoat.
    March 8th, 2009 at 08:53pm
  • jane elliot .

    jane elliot . (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    Well... I don't think that that's what people mean when they blame lyrics. The world isn't made up of idiots, and there's actually more common sense than you think.

    It's not like people think that the music will provoke their children into doing something wrong, it's just that the media is always an unconscious influence, especially on young minds. I certainly wouldn't want my kids listening to music about sex, drugs, and crime.

    It's a matter of decency. When these things are filtered into our minds, we're going to be influenced by them, end of story.
    March 8th, 2009 at 07:51pm
  • Steffy Michelle

    Steffy Michelle (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I don't think that's completely true. I mean, most of the times, you are indeed correct. But I personally think that sometimes music can push some people into doing something. It's not the lyrics its fault but because its sung by their favourite artist or whatever that they're going to think it's all right to do so.
    Of course, it still lays into the hands of the person who does it.
    I once heard, I don't quite remember who exactly it was, but about an artist who sung about shooting someone or whatever, and a fan actually did it.
    And how many kids don't start using drugs because their favourite artist does it? Many people don't but there are always exceptions.

    But blah, I don't think I'm making my point of view clear. I don't blame it on the lyrics completely but I think some lyrics have a wrong effect on several people.
    March 8th, 2009 at 06:22pm
  • Light In The Tunnel

    Light In The Tunnel (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Ugh, I hate when people blame lyrics for actions…soooo stupid.
    March 8th, 2009 at 06:11pm
  • Bucky Barnes

    Bucky Barnes (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    The Timeline equals this

    -Kid listens music
    -Kid does something/Something Happens to kid
    -Parents look for excuse as to why they weren't paying attention to hier kid
    -Parent's find Kid's cd's

    End of Story :file:
    March 8th, 2009 at 05:54pm
  • Relax.Relapse.

    Relax.Relapse. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I must agree, although I believe there are songs 4 the occasion for example, I just do not think that B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down is a appropriate graduation song.
    March 8th, 2009 at 05:52pm
  • Crow Maiden

    Crow Maiden (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I've never heard someone blame lyrics, but yoou're right, if people do blame lyrics then it's just an excuse to get out of trouble, it's like when people blame my chem or bands like that for suicides, one of their songs is saying 'I am not afraid to keep on living'.
    People make no sense... >.<
    Yey for the second side!! :D
    March 8th, 2009 at 05:15pm