What Kind of Country Do We Live In?

What Kind of Country Do We Live In? It is neither hidden nor denied to anyone that today's world is not like the one of previous generations. I hear stories from my Grandparents all the time about how when they were kids they used to go to sleep with the doors unlocked. During the summer they would even sleep on the porch with no locks! They often tell me how "it isn't like it used to be" and "you just can't trust everyone anymore."

I'd like to not believe this. I would like to dispute it and say it isn't true but when it comes down to it, it is. We are currently living in a world where the dollar is more important than the person and wealth is all that matters to people. The stock market is more important than the crime on the streets. After all, that kind of thing is what the police are here to handle, right?

Apparently not.

On the popular website Twitter, a social site where you can say whatever you'd like in 140 characters or less, members of We The Kings and Forever The Sickest Kids began making posts about the Philadelphia cops assaulting them. Travis Clark, vocalist and guitarist of We The Kings, made a 'tweet' saying "Philadelphia cops just beat us up for nothing!" He later 'tweeted' "Chris V is bleeding from his head, every cop is completely abusing their power!! This is so messed up!" Johnathan Cook of Forever The Sickest Kids later added "Philly police continued to beat my crew and we the kings crews faces as they were gushing blood saying I don't care about you over and over."

Johnathan Cook 'tweeted' that the assault began because of the loading of equipment; "My friends are helpless and bleeding now getting taken to the hospital and jail for loading out equipment in front of the club!!" Basing off what little is known, the cops had no reason to act out this way. Allison Wonderland agrees, saying, "Seriously, the cops had no real reason to beat them from what I can tell."

A flood of support from fans was sent through Twitter, all people sending their best wishes and prayers to the boys and agreeing that the police were wrong. Friends were left to watch their own be assaulted helplessly, Kyle Burns tweeting "There was nothing I could do" and Travis Clark adding "There is nothing worse then a friend asking you for help & knowing you can't do anything about it cause 5 cops are standing in front of you." A post by Travis Clark shows "Chris V's head left this on the floor after cops beat him for nothing."

Though it still isn't completely clear what happened, what is clear is that people are hurt and being taken to jail for what seems to be doing their job. Caleb Turman and Hunter Thomsen were best able to sum up the events. Hunter tweeted, "I have never been soo upset in one night." Caleb tweeted "What kind of country do we live in?"

What kind of country do we live in?

Constantly people are criticized for not working, yet here people are doing their job but being beaten by law enforcement for it! And who are you supposed to turn to? What do you do and who do you call when the police are the ones serving out this senseless brutality?

It is way passed time to stop the hate and violence. Apparently the very people protecting the law can not do so, so now it is up to us. We all have to step up and make an effort towards loving our fellow human beings, friend or stranger. The line has to be drawn somewhere and it has to start somewhere. Why not with you?

All my best wishes and prayers go to the members of Forever The Sickest Kids, We The Kings, and both bands crew members. I hope justice will be serves, the more attention we bring to the matter, the more it can not be ignored. We can not let this be ignored.

With one last important thought, Johnathan Cook 'tweeted' something we can all aim for: "Pray for healing in our land. Love Everyone. Goodnight."

Latest articles