9 Months In Jail For A Reckless Act

9 Months In Jail For A Reckless Act Laura Gibbard was sentenced to 9 months in prison after she admitted throwing a package of juice from a motorway bridge near Fareham, Hampshire, and causing a pregnant driver to crash. The 3 and a half months pregnant woman was shocked to see an orange juice explode on her windscreen. It distracted her from keeping an eye on the road and made her swerve, crashing into a tree. The woman and her unborn child suffered minor injuries.

“It is remarkable that your conduct did not lead to more serious consequences. There is no sensible excuse for your conduct”, said Recorder Nicholas Hall.

Police officers who were conducting the investigation said that they had found "a number of orange juice cartons" on the bridge. Also, other drivers reported being hit by cartons on November 19 last year, when the incident happened.

Steve Tricker, the girl’s solicitor said that she had written an apology letter to the pregnant woman. Despite, police claimed that her actions could have had worse consequences and Sergeant Andrew Lynch added, “ Hopefully this sentence sends out a strong message of deterrence to anyone else thinking of acting in this way”.

A maximum prison sentence for throwing objects on to roads is seven years, and is an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1992.

Latest articles