Censorship - We Need A Change - Comments

  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think that the authors, musicians,etc...wrote it in a uncensored way for a reason and that's how it should be viewed. In it's natural form.
    July 16th, 2009 at 08:55pm
  • Caramle Dono

    Caramle Dono (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    think I should put up my english report sis?
    June 4th, 2009 at 09:25pm
  • visualprince

    visualprince (305)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    To me there are pros and cons to censorship.
    Censoring things such as how to make a bomb, etc, is right because it prevents people from actually using it against themselves or others.
    But a lot of the times, censorship is just pointless when the idea of what's going on is already there, why censor? We KNOW it already.
    May 31st, 2009 at 08:03am
  • Rasha345

    Rasha345 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with this article. In my opinion censorship for young kids is just our version of reverse pshycoligy. Tell a (Sence everyone else uses this as an example I will too) Six year old to not do something, he'll do it. Now imagine when a certain book, a certain movie, and certain music has bleeped out words, or isn't even allowed. Now this is when the kids get curious! I would rather them read about it then go look it up on the computer.
    So yes, I agree, censorship isn't the best thing.
    May 13th, 2009 at 01:33am
  • EvilVirus

    EvilVirus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Denmark
    You guys could learn from Denmark. Nothing gets censored unless it's an American company like MTV or 4Kids censoring the "bad" words... come on people know them anyway.
    And the newspapers aren't afraid to post naked people... Because it's natural to be naked. Of course we have the movie rating but people doesn't care about that...
    May 11th, 2009 at 04:54pm
  • skarsgard.

    skarsgard. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Censorship can be a good thing too. Censorship is not hurting us.
    May 11th, 2009 at 12:31am
  • pepper potts.

    pepper potts. (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    there are so many pros and cons to this subject but people should not be held back from things in life, it will get them no were. kids need to be prepared for the real world, you can't be dependent on your parents for ever.
    May 10th, 2009 at 11:34pm
  • dexter

    dexter (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Argentina
    I disagree completely.
    May 10th, 2009 at 11:24pm
  • oneofakind93

    oneofakind93 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    I dissagree... and I could reiterate the whole thing about young kids reading playboy, etc... but I just want to touch on what you said about schools banning books. If the book deals with religion that upsets some people, well too bad. This country has freedom of religion so all beliefs should be allowed in the schools. However, if a book deals with lots of graphic sex or violence, excessive drugs, fluent cursing, etc., then it should not be taught. I know most teens come into contact with all that on a daily basis, but it does not need to be discussed in a ELA class. Some kids are really uncomfortable with that type of content and in the hallways they can walk away, but in the class room they can't.

    And comparing censorship in the US to the Nazi's is a little bit much don't you think? Our freedom here is most likely *because I haven't looked this up* better than anywhere else... so don't complain!
    May 10th, 2009 at 08:50pm
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Its also the parent's job to keep their kids away from drugs and violence.

    You see how well that works.
    May 10th, 2009 at 07:32pm
  • Maple_Sama

    Maple_Sama (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Look...I know alot of you are saying "hey,...6 year olds shouldn't read about sex" and I agree. But I'm not saying to let kids get their hand son what ever. I'm saying that it's the parents job to keep that away from kids, not the governments.
    May 10th, 2009 at 06:06pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    [i]In 1991 Article 19 surveyed 77 countries, 67 of them said that people were detained for peacefully expressing opinions, 27 countries had people tortured, [u]killed[/u], or maltreated-some of these include China, Indonesia, Turkey, Somalia, and Ethiopia.[/i]
    and the US.
    If I remember it well, the death punishment is still enforced in the US.

    Was that part of your article censored?
    May 10th, 2009 at 05:35pm
  • iluvgospel4eva

    iluvgospel4eva (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    I don't think that censorship really goes against the Constitution. In the First Amendment, it says that we do have freedom of press, and we do. Writers can print what they want, but a bookstore can choose not to sell or to censor that book. And censorship is there for a reason. It's not completely wrong, and it protects younger kids from things they don't need to hear at that time. Yes, they need to learn to act like adults, but there is a time for that. If there was no censorship, think about what a chaos the world would be in--and I wouldn't be ALLOWED to watch TV at all!! :)
    May 10th, 2009 at 04:49pm
  • pseudonym.

    pseudonym. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Romania
    You're totally right. Actually, I couldn't agree more.

    These days, the things people cringed about fifty years ago are some of the biggest stories in the media. Drug, sex, and violence is everywhere. If kids don't read about it, they'll just hear about it somewhere else.

    Sometimes, sheltering your kid could be just as dangerous as letting them be independent.
    May 10th, 2009 at 03:47pm
  • Frozen Delight.

    Frozen Delight. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    46
    Location:
    United States
    Whether there is censorship or not kids are going to read, hear about, and see different materials with sex, drugs, and violence. If they want to they are going to get their hands on it. But because its censored, and therefore "wrong", it makes it so they are left to make their own conclusions about these materials. If they have a question they won't go and ask an adult so they actually understand it, instead they will create their own conclusions which normally end up being wrong.
    May 10th, 2009 at 03:11pm
  • Jack Skellington

    Jack Skellington (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    It's cool how your supporting that fact the we have freedom of speech and stuff, but I completely disagree. Censorship is here for a reason. Little six year old kids do not need to know about sex. I mean they might know what it is, but they don't need to watch movies/shows showing all the details.

    Parents are here to protect you from things they don't want you to have. Ex: Drugs, your medicine cabinet, you know what. Are you saying that you want that to go away? You want ten year old kids to dive into their medicine cabinet and get high because you think censorship is harming people? We need it. No matter how annoying it.
    May 10th, 2009 at 12:48pm
  • Kataclysmical

    Kataclysmical (355)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    We recently discussed this topic or some form of it in my school's' Junior Statesman of America group.

    When it all comes down to it, sure the first amendment is in place, but your stating here that censorship should be stopped.

    Okay, so what happens when the world starts falling apart because someone taught someone else how to make a bomb over the internet.

    Truth is, we are humans and some humans are stupider in some situations then they are in others.

    I don't think we need it, and I don't think we need to get rid of it.

    It needs to be here in moderation.
    May 10th, 2009 at 09:05am
  • Jojo.

    Jojo. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Philippines
    Dude. Hold up.
    You know, I've got nothing against censorship. What, do you want 6 years-old hearing words that aren't appropriate for them to hear?
    Maybe you'll tell me they already know those words so, what's the cause? Lack of censorship.
    Sometimes, censorship has gone overboard like some of what you've stated but hey, if I'd choose between to censor or not to censor, I'd say to censor. We have parents, right? They're here to guide us what to see and hear. If we're ready to know those censored things/words, they're there.

    I actually don't think we need a change.
    May 10th, 2009 at 06:29am
  • paralleldimension

    paralleldimension (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with you, but I also agree with the comments here.

    I'm Switzerland. =) (P.S. They should NOT have banned Harry Potter!!!! [I'm a big HP fan.])
    May 10th, 2009 at 05:30am
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Your support had a lot of flaws in it. Amendment I is in the Constitution of the United States. Not China, nor Indonesia. Therefore that right does not apply to them. Also, in China's case, they are a communist country. The Government controls [i]everything[/i] including what you read. This is not so in America.

    Also, are you seriously saying its OK for little kids to read books about sex and drugs? According to this theory, kids should also be allowed to buy adult magazines like Playboy. Freedom of the press, right?

    Ridiculous.

    Censorship is there for a reason.
    May 10th, 2009 at 04:57am