Prince William Engaged

Prince William Engaged Britain celebrated on Tuesday when Prince William and Catherine “Kate” Middleton announced their engagement. News of the royal engagement has spread across the world. The two met at the University of St Andrews, Scotland, in 2001, when they both shared a house along with other students in a seaside village, and studied Art History. They had been going out for eight years when William proposed on a holiday in Kenya last month. He said, "It just felt really right out in Africa and was beautiful at the time."

The engagement ring is an eighteen carat sapphire surrounded by diamonds. It holds a great amount of meaning for the couple as it was the same ring that Prince Charles used to propose to William's mother, Princess Diana. He says, "It's very special to me. As Kate's very special to me now, it was right to put the two together."

Prince Harry, William’s younger brother, is thrilled by the news. "I am delighted that my brother popped the question,” he said. "It means I get a sister, which I have always wanted." Buckingham Palace reported that Queen Elizabeth II and her husband "are absolutely delighted for them both.

This engagement has been one of the most anticipated events in Britain. The event will be the biggest royal wedding since the marriage of Prince Charles and Lady Diana nearly 30 years ago. Kate admitted that the idea of being queen was "a daunting prospect." However, newspapers and websites are describing her as being Britain’s first modern princess.

The couple has lined up a number of interviews over the coming weeks to talk about the royal engagement. They expect the marriage to take place in Spring or Summer of 2011.

Latest articles