Is Facebook Taking Over Christmas? - Comments

  • Kallik

    Kallik (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with MintCat about the article part.

    I think that you can post things about it on facebook, but your focus should be with your family.
    September 5th, 2011 at 07:27am
  • Ameranda

    Ameranda (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    Well most people on Facebook Don't say merry Christmas to every person individually, they usually just set it as there status.
    August 25th, 2011 at 11:51am
  • volta.

    volta. (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    I agree with MintCat. I thought this article was going to be a little different than what it was - something that was probably going to focus on figures from possible usage of Facebook over the Christmas season. I also thought it was a little strange to use a teenagers article as one of the main ideas of your article - but you never really mentioned a whole lot about it.

    I also think that it could have gone a lot deeper. :/ Because I know that a lot of people wouldn't go on Facebook during the actual day because a lot of families keep themselves occupied and busy with meals, gifts, etc, and not everyone has mobile Facebook. I just think it possibly should have been a bit more than what it was. :/

    And the birthday things...it's a little different than Christmas. No one really expects Christmas wishes, and depending on who you are - not everyone expects birthday wishes - you'll find a lot of people hide their ages on Facebook. I just think there are a lot of assumptions made, and not a whole lot to back it up all too well. :/
    August 6th, 2011 at 01:52pm
  • AvengedInsanity

    AvengedInsanity (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    i don't think facebook is making people lazy... just more electronically inclined...
    July 28th, 2011 at 01:59am
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Nothing wrong with it at all. :)
    July 25th, 2011 at 08:01am
  • MintCat

    MintCat (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Germany
    I have to admit, I expected something else when I read the headline, some evil scheme of facebook trying to take over the world (oh wait, it already belongs to them, my bad.) But I also have to say, seeing what you mention here, this article could have been deeper, more points, better explained. It is kind of superficial.
    Also for objectivity reasons I’d leave exclamation marks out of an article. It is supposed to be rational. Of course you are allowed to do so as you did in your last paragraph, when you try to make people do something. But your “Although I disagree!” the exclamation mark seems a bit… childish.
    Of course it is cheaper and faster, and it is a trend in our society. In school when it’s one of your classmates birthday, you go up to them, wish them a happy birthday and sometimes even hug them, even though you barely know them or spend any time with them safe for classes.
    And although I agree that sending Merry Christmasses on facebook is highly impersonal, I do it myself and I won’t anyone tell to stop. It is nicer of course if you do it differently, but you can avoid being impersonal by only sending wishes to people you really care about, not to everyone on facebook. It shows people that they are one of a select few and you hold them in higher regard than others.
    Also if someone wishes you a happy birthday that you don’t know, I don’t see the must to wish them a happy birthday yourself. After all what are they going to do about it?
    Furthermore making someone’s day by wishing them a Merry Christmas on facebook because that person has no one sounds highly naïve to me.
    July 19th, 2011 at 04:18pm
  • snowwhite17

    snowwhite17 (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm old school I send the people I want to wish a happy holiday a card through snail mail. Some of them even get a sketch or something small that will fit in the card. I like people to know that I'm thinking of them and that they're not just a passing thought.
    July 19th, 2011 at 02:17am
  • Dahnie

    Dahnie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    In other words people are getting very very lazy. -J
    July 18th, 2011 at 06:26am