Spaying and Neutering

Four million cats and dogs-about one every eight seconds-are put down in US shelters each year. Often these animals are the offspring of cherished family pets. Spay/neuter is a proven way to reduce pet overpopulation, ensuring that every pet has a family to love them.

Every year, between 6 and 8 million enter US shelters. The average kill-shelter gives an animal only 3-4 days before they are put down, to make room for more. Kennels are over stuffed and filled with many animals of different kinds. Animal shelters and rescues have to rely on other shelters and people to take care of them if they don't have room. It's so bad most shelters neuter/spay pets before adoption.

Do you know how much money it costs to put down your beloved pet or just a common stray? My dog got put down and it cost $80 to do it. If you are a veterinarian or work in a shelter, that money might be taken out of your check. Some shelters refuse to stop gassing animals (an extremely inhumane way of putting animals down, which involves stuffing them in gas chambers and poisoning them.) and use euthanasia because of the cost. If you would spay and neuter your pets less money would be put in killing these poor creatures.

Spaying and neutering tends to improve temperament. It curbs aggression and helps them live longer happier lives. It also decreases risks of cancer and tumors. Males will be less likely to run off in need to defend territory and find a mate (this would also decrease the possibility for them getting run over).

Please spay and neuter your pets. It will help shelters, bring in more money (the cost for euthanasia might even go down), and help your beloved family member(s).

Latest articles