British Schools Suffer Teacher Strike

British Schools Suffer Teacher Strike Around 2,000 schools have closed or partially closed as a result of today's teacher strike. 88 local authorities have previously issued warnings about today's walk-out and loss of school time.

Currently, the NUT and the British government are disputing over public sector pay and the measure of inflation, which should define pay increases.The NUT were offered a new three-year pay deal, with a 2.45 per cent pay rise from September and a further rise of 2.3 per cent in 2009 and 2010.

Ivan Ould, chairman of the National Employers' Organisation for School Teachers, said on Tuesday:

"It is disappointing for children and parents that the NUT has pressed ahead with strike action.Children so close to their exams will lose out on invaluable study time and parents will lose out as they are forced to take unnecessary holiday to look after them."

The head of the body charged with representing children's services authorities and local education authorities in England and Wales, he added:

"The NUT should pause for thought before embarking on action that will affect large swathes of the country. The pay award was based on an independent body's recommendation and provides a deal that is both fair to teachers and affordable for the taxpayer. Councils and schools are working together to ensure that if the strike does happen then the minimum possible disruption will occur to children and parents."

Since Tuesday, the strike has been confirmed and gone ahead, disrupting school timetables everywhere in Britain.

While around half of schools in some areas, such as Bristol, have closed, in other areas like Cheshire only one in ten have due to the differences in the number of NUT members from school to school.

Latest articles