Jaded by Bright Colors and Faded Walls

parking lots

“Oh my word.” Jade ground as something flashed around the van. “Put the light out.” She whined tucking her legs up to her chest as she hugged her blankets tighter around her body. Button mewed softly in the cage next to her. She groaned. “Shush.” She moaned. “Put the light out.” He snapped.

“Yeah.” Someone agreed. “Who has it?” No one responded to the question, Jade couldn’t even place who was talking she was so tired. “Jake…” The person muttered softly. There was no silence as the person wait for an answer, he got a duet of snoring. “So it’s not Jake and it’s not Dan.” Jade opened her eyes slowly as the light greeted her eyes.

A scream echoed out of her throat, ringing into the night and walking anyone in a thirty yard, if not more, radius. Her heart pounded in her chest as she stared up at the shadowed figure pointing a flash light in the window right at her.

“Shit.” Jade heard several distinct clicks.

“Get the hell away from the van.” Aaron snapped ad he held a paintball gun out the open window at the person. “Now.” He snapped.

“You’re not meant to be here.” The person stated pointing the flash light at him. “And put the weapon away.” They added violently.

“Not till you go away.”

“Put it away.”

“Tell us who you are.” Doug growled.

“Officer Ren.” The man stated.

“ Badge.” All off them coursed as Jade started at his shadowed figure. He shifted pulling something and pointing the flash light down at it. Aaron reached down pulling out a pair of black frame glasses and slipped them on staring at the badge. He pulled the paintball back in the van and sighed. “You know we were sleeping.” He groaned.

“You can’t be here.” The Officer sighed as he looked into the van. “It’s private property.”

“Duh it’s a building and its parking lot.” Albert groaned rolling over and going back to sleep. He didn’t feel like dealing with a police officer at the moment, he’d rather get his beauty sleep.

“Exactly you’ve gotta go.” The officer huffed.

“We’re a band, we’re suppose to play here in two nights, but we got here a day early, we’ve got a room for tomorrow night but not tonight and we don’t have the money. Can we just stay here tonight?” Alicia asked softly, pouting her lips and trying to look cute.

“No.” The officer stated. “I’ll be back in a half hour you better be gone.” He snapped leaving.

“Asshole.” Half the van grumbled as they turned to row-sham-bow for who was driving them out of there and to another parking lot.

“Fuck.” Jake whispered climbing out of his makeshift bed and into the empty driver seat. “I say we go eat at Denny’s and crash there. I’m starved.” He grumbled roaring the van to life.

“That and it’s the only place we know how to get to from here.” Dan sighed, hands rubbing over his face. “Jade…” He asked softly. She twitched slightly at her name. “Jade it’s okay, we’re fine.” He added. His words feel on deaf ears.

She sat in the corner of her dark room, a blanket wrapped around her as she watched the open bedroom door with wide eyes. Her jaw quivered as she tried to keep her breathing low.

There was a shadowed figure standing in the door way Broad shoulders, average height, and medium build.

Hey body shook as she tried to fade into the wall. She was grateful that the light was broken, so they couldn’t turn it on and find her. There was a pain in her side and her upper chest as she took in low breaths, her heart pounded up in her throat and in her ears. She could feel her mouth going dry as she watched the shadowed figure, closely.

“Jade…” They mused softly.


“Jade?” Her eyes snapped over to Dan and the others. Swallowed and let out a shaky breath she’d been holding. “You okay?” She nodded slowly, relieved that she wasn’t in the dark room anymore. “You sure?” Jade opened her mouth to say something, but shut it.

“We’re here.” Jake grumbled annoyed as he parked the van.

“I’ll go ask the owner if we can stay here since we’ll be eating all our meals here anyway.” Oliver sighed climbing out of the van as well.

“Would you all shut up?” Albert snapped into his pillow as he pulled his blanket over his head and tried to hide from the lights of small parking lot flooding the van.

“Come on Jade let’s go eat.” Aaron smiled at her reaching over. Nodding she got out and adjusted her large White Sox shirt --- she wasn’t sure who or what the White Sox were but Jake and Aaron assured her they were amazing --- the end of it hung mid thigh and the ends of the sleeves hung a good couple of inches past her the ends of her finger tips, he had a pair of black sweat pants on under it.

“Look who’s here.” Chizz laughed as the van rolled into the parking lot, he only recognized it from the childish flowers drawing on the bottom panels of it. Mike and Will looked up from there food a bit confused before out the window at the van.

“What’s wrong with their van?” Mike gasped seeing the flowers on it. Chizz shrugged lightly as Will rolled his eyes, looking away from it and back at his food. He sighed leaning back in his seat. “She’s a sox’s fan?” Mike whispered completely shocked. Will’s head snapped to the right to look out the window again.

He took in the small girls form. The large over-sized White Sox’s shirt hanging on her more like a baggy dress than a shirt. Her shoulder length mousy brown hair a mess on her head and her large emerald eyes wide and wary, her jaw was tight as she looked around the parking lot waiting for the guy to put on a shirt.

“She looks scared.” Will whispered as he watched her. Chizz and Mike looked at her again, but didn’t see what he was talking about.

“They need to get her a better fitting shirt.” Chizz mused as he went back to his hamburger and fires. Mike agreed with the point of his finger as he took a bite his sandwich.

“You sure you’re okay?” Dan asked softly as they pushed the door open and paused seeing Oliver talking with the lady behind the counter.

“No we don’t, and we don’t have the money.” Oliver whispered. “It’s not like we’re just going to take up your space and not eat here I mean, we’ve got two bottomless pits in the van that are staring right now despite the fact we were only hear five hours ago.” The lady laughed. “Please?” She nodded. “Sweet. Just give us a huge table I don’t know how many people are coming in.” He added. She laughed against and grabbed a couple menus as she waved him to follow her. “Thanks.” Oliver smiled at her before back at the others. “We can stay.” He added.

“Sweet.” Dan, Jake and Aaron muttered dully. They really didn’t care if the lady agreed or not, they were still going to stay none the less.

Will, Chizz and Mike froze as they walked by, the girls elbow was only and inch or two above their table top. Will lifted his gaze to her as she passed and blinked a bit startled that he could see the top of her head perfectly while only sitting. He glanced up as she kept walking, her back to him.

“She’s tiny.” Mike whispered, Will nodded in response as he leaned back in his seat watching her. She still looked scared to him.

“Told ya.” Chizz muttered as he lifted his drink and took a sip. “And all those dudes are tall’a than you mate.” He added pointing at Will who blinked, he’d missed the others who’d walked by he’d been too focused on her height.