Jaded by Bright Colors and Faded Walls

battles and war

“Shit.” Zack sighed as he watched Jack leave the game victoriously lifting his arms as he stepped out the room, all the other winners watching through the open door with wide wondering eyes. “I’m not losing.” Zack stated. William glared at him.

“Yes you are.” William barked. As they lifted their first in the air ready to play till someone lost.

“One, two, three!” They both yelled throwing their firsts down. They both looked at their hands, both of them holding out scissors. “Crap.” They both swore under there breath before reading them selves again. “One, two, three.” They laid there hands out.

“Ha! Ha!” William yelled lifting his arms in the air as he looked at Zack’s defeated rock. “Paper rules.” He added as the other shuffled in the room.

“Shit.” Zack swore again looking at the bathroom door. He glanced at the bathroom door before back at William. “Two outta three?” He asked. Everyone pointed at the door, glaring at him. “Thought not.” He breathed out as he moved to the door and knocked softly.

“Go blow your self.” Rang through the door at him, sighing he knocked again. “I said go blow yourself, if you need help ask someone else.”

“She’s a crude little girl isn’t she?” Tony asked looking at the others.

“You have no idea.” Albert, Oliver, Dan, Alicia, and Aaron all muttered at the same time.

“She’s not that bad.” Jake and Doug snorted. Everyone turned to them. “She’s not.” They gasped, lifting there hands in their defense.

“You’re only saying that because you’re just a crude.” Dan sighed. “Just go in.” Zack’s eye widened at the statement but nodded.

Pushing open the door he slipped in quickly and leaned against the door. Jade sat on the floor across from him, her legs stretched out in front of her and her hands pressed to the cold linoleum between her thin legs.

“You okay?” Zack asked softly. Jade lifted her head to look at him.

“Can’t you just go away?” She whispered softly. Sighing Zack walked over and sat next to the small, fragile looking girl.

“That dress meant a lot to you, didn’t it?” He asked softly. She shrugged lightly at the thought. It wasn’t the dress that was bothering her anymore. It wasn’t the dress that was bothering her, it was the fact that Alicia and Albert had built up her confidence in the fact that William could and would like her, but he had that girl next to him playing with his hair. He had a girl he liked and she obviously liked him back. “I’m sorry we lost it.” Zack stated not wanting to say ‘you lost it’.

“It’s okay. I should’ve known I’d lose it. I lose everything.” She whispered scratching at the white linoleum below her. She lost her mind, her life, and now she’d lost her dress and, William… despite the fact she’d never even had him in the first place.

“You don’t lose everything.” Zack stated softly, trying to keep from laughing. “You always win board games against Jack and Alex and they always cheat.” He stated pointing a finger at her; her large eyes peering up at him through the cover of her thick, black eye lashes. “You’re an amazing artist, not many people can paint and draw like you can. You can sing like a one woman rock opera, a select few can do that. I mean… you’re living your dream, right?” He asked. She nodded lightly.

Jade was in fact out of the asylum with friends, a good, fun career. With people that cared about her. It was what she always wanted, other than her real family and to be completely normal.

“Then that means you haven’t lost at life. That mean’s you’re winning.” She shrugged lightly as Zack struggled to cheer the poor girl up. “So you lost a few things and maybe a few battles, but that doesn’t mean the wars over!” He gasped.

“What?” She giggled looking up at him. She had no idea what he meant by battles and wars. It just confused her small little brain.

“Okay…” Zack muttered tapping his chin he had to figure out a way to explain something to a ditzy, upset girl. Key words to him in that sentence: upset girl. He was horrible at explaining things to upset girls. He normally got slapped for trying to make them feel better. “So in life it’s like one massive… battle, you’re constantly fighting for what you want.” Jade nodded slowly still smiling at him. She didn’t seem upset, but that was the trick with girls, they never looked up set and when they weren’t upset they were busting out the water works for the fun of it. “So in a sense that makes like this massive war, and war has a lot of little battles,” He muttered using his hands to talk with, that always seemed to work with Jade. “And in war every side, even the winning side, loses a few battles but losing one battle doesn’t mean you lose the war.” He trailed off watching her. “You get where I’m going with this?” He asked softly. She nodded weakly.

“So you’re saying that despite the fact I lost this one, I still have more to win?” She asked confused. Zack sat rooted to the spot, had he done the impossible?

Weakly he nodded.

“Oh… that makes sense.” She giggled. Zack’s jaw dropped open. He had done the impossible, he’s comforted and explained something to an upset girl.

“So you’re okay now?” He asked softly, his voice straining to come out. She nodded. “You’re sure?” Jade nodded and hugged him. He hugged back a bit surprised.

Jade giggled up at him as he stood and left the small bathroom. According to Zack she’d lost William for now and there’d be other chances to get him. Or something like that.