Jaded by Bright Colors and Faded Walls

The Arabian without a shirt

Jade jumped out of the van and onto Aaron’s back as he stood by the sliding door talking with Albert. They both laughed at her as she clung to him for dear life. She’d never been so high off the ground in her life.

“Can I help you?” Aaron asked softly. Jade giggled hugging him tightly. “I love you too.” He stated at her unsaid words. He sat down in the open van door. Pouting Jade let go of him.

“You’re no fun.” She stated as she stood up and jumped out of the van.

“I know, I’m the party pooper. You want fun go find Jake and Doug.” Aaron mused. Albert laughed lightly at the simple words.

“But they’re no fun! Jake’s just going to be smoking and Doug’s going to be drinking coffee. It’s like… eight am.” She huffed lightly as her arms wound themselves around Albert’s slim middle.

“She’s got a point.” Albert mused as he wrapped his arms around her small shoulders. “And what are you wearing?” He asked lightly, his tone scolding as he looked down at the black tank-top and the messy brown, worn jeans – that he was sure belonged to Jake – that had the bottoms rolled up.

“Cloths.” She stated lightly looking down at them. He shook his head.

“No, you’re wearing garbage.” He laughed lightly. She looked down at the cloths. “Whose pants are those?” He asked as he climbed into the van again. She shrugged.

“Why are you wearing my pants?” Everyone turned to look at Doug. Jade shrugged. “They don’t even fit you.” He laughed lightly while scooping her up. She giggled as she hung over his shoulder.

“I though they were Jake’s.” Albert mused lightly as he began digging through Jade’s duffle bag of clean cloths. He pulled out a pair of green shorts for her. He passed them to her as he watched.

“But I like these pants!” Jade gasped as Doug set her down.

“Well, they’re my pants.” Doug stated. “Like them or not, you can’t wear them.” Jade frowned but climbed back into the van none the less and changed. “Thank-you.” He laughed lightly as she huffed at him. “You can’t wear my pants.” He stated.

“Well, atleast not those pants.” Albert stated as he sipped on his Starbucks. “They’re hideous.” He added as people moved around there van looking at them a bit oddly. They were fighting with Jade as if she was eight, that was a little weird to them.

“I’m heading in.” Aaron mused lightly as he walked off. They all waved to them as Jade pouted. She really did like Doug’s beat up old brown jeans. They were comfy.

“You can’t wear my pants.” Doug stated lightly.

“But you let my wear your shirts.” She gasped, throwing her arms up.

“I don’t. You just wear them despite the fact I tell you not to.” Doug laughed as he pointed a finger at her. She paused, before nodding. It was true she wore the guys shirts all the time despite the fact that they told her not to. She wasn’t sure why she felt the need to wear them, she just did.

“Fine. I won’t wear your cloths anymore.” She huffed at them before turning and heading up to the venue. She stopped noticing Will, Sisky, and Michael of The Academy Is… playing guitars and singing. She wandered over to them and watched.

“What song is that?” She asked softly. All three of them stopped as they looked up at her slowly. All shocked that she didn’t know the song. It was a classic.

“It’s Making Christmas from The Nightmare Before Christmas.” Michael muttered softly. They all got a blank stare from her. “From the… movie?” He tried slowly, unsure of what to say to her. He’d never met anyone that didn’t even know what The Nightmare Before Christmas was.

“Do you know what we’re talking about?” Will asked softly. She shook her head.

“I’m not allowed to watch movies.” She stated like a little kid. “I was only allowed to watch the Wizard of Oz and Harvey. Both in black and white cause colors are evil. When really they’re not.” Jade nodded lightly as the words eased off her lips. The guys narrowed there brows at them a bit confused. “I was ‘sheltered’” She did finger quotes. “According to the guys.” She mused lightly before wandering off.

“So… come back here.” Sisky yelled. Turning she blinked at him a bit confused. “Come here.” He laughed waving her over. Wandering back over she stopped in front of them. “Do you know what Disney is?” He asked softly.

“I know what Dizzy is.” She stated with a giggle. The guys looked at one another before back at her.

“Disney time!” Sisky yelled as Michael picked Jade’s small form up. Will paused lightly as he picked up the instruments both Sisky and Michael had dropped. Taking a deep breath he shrugged and moved onto the bus and into the back where they were holding up different movie cases.

“Why are we having movie time?” Mike asked lightly as he stumbled out of his bunk, his black hair a mess as he rubbed his eyes.

“Because.” Sisky stated simply as picked up Alice in Wonderland. Michael held up Aladdin, both glaring at each other. “Alice!” Sisky snapped.

“Aladdin.” Michael stated as Jade sat on the floor between them, watching back and forth as they argued.

“Alice!” Sisky yelled throwing the DVD case at Michael’s head.

Rolling his eyes Will looked into the DVD case and pulled at the dark case. Clearing his throat he held it up, with a raised brow. Both looked at him and frowned.

“The Nightmare Before Christmas?” They both asked as Will shrugged. “No.” they both stated and went back to fighting.

“Sit on the couch before you get stepped on.” Will stated as he picked up the DVD remote. Nodding she did as told as Will put the DVD in and turned off the lights.

“No fair.” Sisky pouted as he and Michael both sat on the couch defeated in the game. Will shrugged as he started the DVD. He tensed as Jade snuggled into his side watching the television.

Jade watched the movie with wide wondering eyes, everyone had collected into the back lounge of TAI’s bus. They’d all come looking for either Jade or one of the guys and been distracted by the movie. Will relaxed into Jade, his arm around her shoulder as she held his shirt in her small fists.

“Alice time!” Sisky yelled as the movie ended. Jade swallowed and lightly looked up at Will, he glanced down at her and smiled gently.

“No! No! Alice! She’s a bloody, idiot bimbo on acid!” Michael yelled as he held up Aladdin.

“Forget the Arabian without a shirt on.” Jack yelled as he pulled out Beauty and the Beast. “We’re going hairy lovin’ all the way!” He gasped.

“Ha! Ha! No!” Jake yelled standing up and pulling Lady and the Tramp out of the shelves. “Lady!” He barked. Jade and Will froze as everyone scrambled to pull a DVD off the shelf and argue about it.

“Here.” Will ushered Jade out of the room with out anyone noticing. Laughing he looked back at the crowded, dark room full of people arguing over Disney movies. “So, did you like the movie?” Jade nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah it’s one of my favorites.” He mused lightly as he leaned against the kitchen counter. Jade sat on the couch and nodded as she looked down at her hands. “So what’s Harvey?” He asked recalling one of the movies she’d named. Jade looked up a bit surprised.

“It’s an old black and white movie.” She stated softly. “It’s about this guy who starts seeing this giant bunny named Harvey and people think he’s crazy because he’s the only one who can see Harvey. But Harvey movies things and stuff through the movie and he goes to this shrink because people make him.” She muttered, clicking her tongue as she tried to figure out a way to explain it. “Through the whole movie people think he’s crazy, and at the end he stops seeing Harvey, right so he leaves and the shrink tells him good bye and good luck and stuff and when the guy leaves, and I can’t remember his name the Doctor looks over and there’s Harvey this big massive bunny.”

“Is that how it ends?” Will asked softly. She nodded as she looked around the bus.

“Yup.” She stated.

“You’ve seen it a lot haven’t you?” she nodded and clicked her tongue. “So what else have you…” He rolled his hands, not sure what words to use, but he had to know. “Been deprived of?” He asked as kindly and as casually as he could.

“umm… music, I don’t know much of, but I love it. Movies…” She trialed off. “Technology, I’m really bad with technology.” She giggled as she nodded her head. “Cloths, people, everything. I was locked in a big white box for years.” She stated softly. He nodded slowly as he watched her. That explained why she was childlike with everything. She didn’t know what any of it was, she wasn’t allowed to see or use it. It was all brand new to her.

“Why?” He asked softly, hoping he wasn’t pressing any boundaries by asking. Jade opened her mouth, she didn’t care who knew.

“Guys.” Will stopped as Alex popped out of the back room. “We’re watching Eldorado!” He yelled before ducking back into the fighting jam packed room. Rolling his eyes Will moved to the back waving Jade to follow. She sighed.

“I’m psych patient.” She whispered to her self before looking down at her hands, nibbling on her thick bottom lip.