I'd Never Thought They'd Get Me Here

What's the virus?

Gerard's POV

“Em!” A voice yelled. “Quit shooting!” The shooting stopped.

“Are you sure their human?” Another voice called.

“Positive, don’t you see who it is?” The first voice replied.

We all grouped together, gazing round the large room, trying to find who was talking.

“No fucking way!” From behind a pillar a girl emerged, holding a machine gun. She was in her early twenties and had straight brown hair that brushed her shoulders. She walked over and looked us up and down.

“Sorry for shooting.” She apologised. “I’m Em.” She held out a hand, which I shook nervously. Another girl of the same age came up behind her.

“Cat, bring the other two down.” She was saying to a walkie-talkie. “We’ve got more survivors.” She looked up and brushed the curls out her face. “I’m Ellie.” She said with a tired look on her face. “The rest will come down in a second.”

Sure enough a minute later three other girls came down.

“Lu, Cat and Dani.” Em introduced them. “Now, how the hell do My Chemical fucking Romance get in our little city?”

“Can’t you tell us what the fuck is going on first?” Ray asked.

“No.” Came Cat’s simple reply.

“We came to do our tour, when we got to Southampton the place was empty. We stole a minivan and drove this way.”

“You still got the van?” Dani asked.

“Yeah, it’s in the car park.” Frank told them.

“Good.” Lucy said with a small smile.

“Now what the fuck is going on?” Mikey asked.

“You best sit down.” They led us over to where several chairs were set up, some pushed together to make beds and others being used as tables. We all sat and looked at the girls.

“It started about two weeks ago.” Lucy started. “Some virus, infecting people every where. It spread quickly across the country. At first the government wanted to keep it quite, and by the time they were ready to call other countries for help it was to late. The virus got them.”

“What’s the virus?” Bob asked.

“It’s horrible.” Ellie said quietly, taking over from Lucy. “Makes you mad, drives you insane. And that’s only when you’ve alive. As soon as they die they stay dead for 10 seconds, before waking up. They want to eat the living, the ones with real life. They crave it, want it more than anything.” She stared at the floor. “So they want to eat us.” When she glanced up I met her eye. “I can guarantee that my whole family is dead, Em’s family is dead, Cat’s family is dead. Everyone’s fucking family is dead.”

“Which is why we need to get to London.” Em told us. “We need to get to the government, houses of parliament, Buckingham fucking palace if we need to. We need to warn the other countries, tell them to stay away.”

“So we just flew into a huge death trap?” Bob asked, wide eyed.

“Yup.” Dani replied. “One huge killing ground.”

“Can you hear that?” Lucy asked suddenly. I listened hard, I couldn’t hear anything.

“Never mind.” She said after a minute.

“No…” Ellie held up a hand and paused. “It’s them! Get to your fucking places!”

The girls leapt to their feet and grabbed guns, which I had no idea where they got them from. Running off in different directions we were led away by Cat. She took us to a large amount of steps and pointed.

“Go up here, just until you reach the ladder.” She told us. “If I yell go up the ladder and onto the outside of the building. I’ll stay here and guard the stairs.”

We nodded, dumb struck, and did as we were told. Climbing the stairs to leave our lives in a girl we’d only just met.