‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

The First Lie is the Easiest

"How was school today?" Zach asked me as I walked in. Marshall's eyes darted to me and I forced myself to look only at my brother and ignore Marshall completely.

"Great! I've made a lot of new friends," I told him with a smile. "But sorry, the only girl vampire there is in a serious relationship with someone."

"Damn," he joked. "Well, did you meet anyone special?"

"Benji's pretty cool, but he doesn't talk much."

"That's nice. Benji's short for Benjamin, right?"

"Yeah. He works out," I said with a laugh, remembering our conversation earlier.

All of a sudden I saw Marshall get up and walk out the door after making an irritated noise. I rolled my eyes.

"Miss Moody has left the building," I muttered. Louder, I said, "I have some homework to do, so I'm going to go into my room, alright?"

"Of course."

I ran up the stairs and closed the door carefully behind me. I practically skipped to the window and opened it. Almost immediately after, Aiden jumped in and pulled me into his arms. I smiled up at him, holding him close.

"I love you," he whispered. I blushed and the butterflies were back.

"I love you, too."

"So, tell me, do you feel like maybe we were meant to be--like we've known each other forever?" he asked randomly, swaying slightly on his feet as he still held me.

"I do. And as soon as I'm allowed to leave here, I say we run away together and elope. We can live in a log cabin in the Congo Basin and have a whole litter of kids. Half will be girls and half will be boys. And we'll all be a big happy family."

He smiled at me.

"I like the sound of that, babe. So how did you like your first day?"

"It was amazing. But it wouldn't be worth it if you weren't there."

He nodded, kissing my forehead.

"So I was wondering if you wanted to come hang out with me for a little bit at my house. You could tell your brother you're going to Benji's house or something."

"Okay. Give me one second, alright? But you're positive no one will freak again?"

"As positive as a pregnancy test. I can just make you smell like me if I hold you close enough," he smirked.

"Alright. I'll go talk to him."

I ran down the hall and just called, "Zach, can I go to Rosemarie's house?"

"Done with your homework already?" he yelled back up, peeking around the corner.

"I only had one problem."

"Oh, well, I guess so. Just be back at a reasonable hour, okay?"

"Okay." I ran back into my room and saw him waiting patiently. "Meet me outside."

"Alright."

I ran out the door as fast as I could, afraid to be away from him for more than a second. I jumped on his back and he laughed, carrying me back into the forest I someday hoped to belong in. After all, if all went well, I'd be with him forever.

"Mush, mutt, mush!" I yelled, laughing.

"I feel the love," he whined, carrying me deeper in.

I only hoped this visit would last longer than the last.