‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

I Can't Explain It

“Baby? Are you going to be okay?” Aiden asked as soon as I opened my eyes. I stared up at him, trying to get my vision to stop being so blurry. “What happened?”

“I’m not sure,” I murmured, nestling into his chest, realizing that we were in his house on his bed. “Have you been lying with me this whole time?”

“Yeah. I couldn’t leave your side, honey. And it was only an hour. Anything for you, Gabby.”

“I love you,” I mumbled, holding him close. He held me tight.

“I love you, too. But, you know, we’re in my room. Alone. In my bed.”

“I just woke up from passing out and all you can think about is getting laid? Typical!” I cried.

“I was kidding! God, take a joke! But, babe, you gave Leanne a scare. She’s convinced that she made you pass out and that she’s a demon possessed by the devil. Maybe you should talk to her and make nice.” He kissed me softly.

“I know. I planned on it. You know, it’s weird, I feel like I need to keep her safe. And when she looked so sad, it hurt me. I don’t know; it’s like I think I’m her mother!”

“Well, I don’t know what to say to that,” he admitted. “But at least we know you’re motherly?”

“Ha,” I muttered. “Oh well, I didn’t expect you to understand since I don’t. I’m going to go to her. Where is she?”

“In the living room.” He helped me stand on my feet and walked me out of his room, letting me use him as a crutch. "Leanne."

She glanced up from looking at her feet. She saw him and smiled, but then her face fell when she saw me.

"Hi, Aiden. Hi, Gabriella," she mumbled, looking down once more. I left the safety of Aiden's arms and sat beside her.

"Leanne, it wasn't your fault, I swear. I have fainting spells a lot. It's weird, but I'm used to it. It was just bad timing is all. Do you trust me?" I asked, praying to God she would say yes. She looked up to me with a tormented look in her eyes.

"Yeah," she choked out. "And it makes no sense. Why do I trust a stranger?"

"I don't know," I admitted with a shy smile. "But I trust you, too. So we can be lost on this together."

"Really?" She had the biggest blue eyes I had ever seen. She smiled a little when I nodded. "So you don't hate me?" I narrowed my eyes, but not out of anger: it was out of confusion.

"Of course I don't! Leanne, when I saw you sitting all alone, I just wanted to reach out and hold you, telling you it's all going to be okay. I don't understand this very much, or at all, but I do know that there must be something to make me feel this way. I want to keep you safe from any harm and I promise I'll do just that. I want you to know that even if the world turns it's back on you, I'll be running around making them face you again. I promise."

"But why?"

I sighed. "I don't know. I feel like I know you--or at least, I should know you. Maybe something got in the way of it. I don't know. But I want to know you now."

She smiled shyly and opened her mouth, but then a knock interrupted that. Someone walked in and Aiden waved lightly.

"Leanne, are you alright? Your mom and I were worried sick," he said, running a hand through his russet hair. His eyes shone with relief.

"Yeah. I'm sorry. Mom was worried?" Her eyes lit up and I wanted to cry. That shouldn't mean the world to someone.

"She was. She loves you. Oh, is this a friend of yours?" he asked, smiling at me. He walked up and shook my hand. "I'm Ian Black, Leanne's father."

"Gabriella," I whispered. There was something about him that tugged at my heart...

"What's your last name?"

"I don't have one. I'm a bastard child," I admitted, shrugging. "My parents didn't want me, so I live with the guy who found me. He's like a brother."

"Oh. Well, why don't you live here?"

"I don't think that would be in his best interest," I muttered, a hidden threat. Apprehension flashed in his eyes.

"Very well." He turned to Leanne. "Ready to come home?" She nodded. He looked to me once more before leading his daughter away. "And you're welcome in our house if ever you want to take up the offer." I looked into his eyes and I could tell he was trying to search me for any kind of emotion. He probably saw the blank look he was giving me.

"Of course."

"Bye, Aiden."

"See you later, sir," he smiled, taking my hand in his. Ian looked confused, but led his daughter out the door.

"How do you know him?"

"Well, it's a long story."

"I've got the time."