‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

It's Just so Complicated

I woke up—once again—in Aiden’s arms. I groaned and he kissed my forehead and then my lips feverishly. I smirked and pulled him closer so we could kiss deeper. I could hear his heartbeat getting faster and faster as he pinned to couch.

“I love you,” I whispered and he smiled.

“I love you, too.” He paused and opened his mouth again, but all of a sudden he was ripped off of me.

“Get of my daughter!” I glared up at Ian Black who had a hold of Aiden’s shirt as he squirmed, trying to get away.

“Let go of my boyfriend!” I yelled, jumping up and snatching Aiden back into my arms. My legs gave out, but he caught me quickly, holding me tightly to him.

“Don’t push yourself, baby. Please,” he whispered. I nodded, but a spark of pain shot through me and my hand shot to the back of my head. I felt something warm and sticky. There was blood!! I started screaming hysterically as I bawled, so confused. “Baby, it’s okay!” Aiden promised, screaming so I could hear him over myself. “You just fell on a nail! I promise you’ll be fine.” His voice almost calmed me as I held myself close to him, listening to his heartbeat as he rubbed my back soothingly.

“Is she awake? Is my baby awake?”

I looked over to see Leanne’s mom come running in. She snatched me from Aiden and he growled at her, watching carefully. A look of confusion crossed his face as she held me tightly and kissed my forehead a million times.

“What did he name you? What did that vampire bastard Zach name you?”

“He is not a bastard! He took me in when you ingrates abandoned me! And he named me Gabriella!” I hissed. How dare she judge him when she had let me go?!

“I didn’t abandon you! He stole you from me!” She screamed, crying. Leanne was standing quietly in the doorway, stunned.

“He said my no good parents left me for dead and to save me he had to make me a vampire. He’s the one who raised me!”

“He lied!” she hissed, glaring. “I never wanted to give you up! He bit you and everyone made me give up my only child! Gabby, baby, your mommy has always loved you!”

“Mommy” echoed again and again in my head. I remembered her. I did. She left me in my crib to cry myself to sleep. Her smell was repugnant to me then, but there was now this scent of warmth about her. Zach told me that she didn’t want me, but he had dragged me away...

I wasn’t a vampire, but I wasn’t a werewolf. So what was I?

Aiden stared at me with a smile on his face.

“You belong here, Gabby. You’re a werewolf, I told you!”

“But he bit me, so what does that make me?”

“Gabby...I don’t know. I’m sorry.”

I tore myself from my mother’s arms and threw myself into his.

“How many more secrets can there be?” I asked him softly.

“I don’t know, baby. I don’t know,” he whispered, his lips on my forehead.

“So... Is this your boyfriend?” my mom asked me, smiling.

“Yeah.” I kissed him quickly. “But Zach doesn’t know. He would kill me. And Marshall... Aiden, how is this going to work?”

“Leave Zach! He’s not your family! He stole your life from you!” my mom screamed, glaring at me for some reason. She didn’t understand.

“I need to think,” I mumbled.

“Do you want me to come?”

“No, Aiden. I need to think alone.”

Why couldn’t I have a normal life?