‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

The Word "Discuss" Takes On A New Meaning

“I understand that you’re worried about her, but you have no idea what you’re doing!”

“I don’t fucking care! She’s coming home with me!”

Celeste and Zach were screaming at each other at the bottom of the steps as Aiden and I sat in the hallway in a tight embrace. With a grim look on his face, Aiden was listening carefully to the argument going on between his mother and my caretaker.

“I’m scared,” I admitted softly, my voice muffled by Aiden’s shirt as I buried my face in his chest.

“I know, honey,” he murmured, chafing my forearm gently. “I don’t want him to take you from me. Not only would I be away from you, but he also has no idea how to go about taking care of you.”

I nodded lightly, pulling myself from Aiden and standing up. He rose quickly beside me, placing his hands on my hips and pulling me back to him. He kissed me softly.

“Where are you going?” he mumbled against my lips.

“They’re talking about what to do with me. That is something I should have a say in,” I told him, forcing myself to break the kiss and head for the stairs.

Aiden helped me down, ready to pounce if my steps faltered in the least. I rolled my eyes, smiling. The smile quickly faded as Zach and Celeste turned to us, a harsh look in both of their gazes. I opened my mouth to speak, but Aiden suddenly brushed past me, pushing me behind him. I sighed inwardly.

“Mom, Zach,” he started, “I don’t want to lose her. Please, just let her stay here. We’ve discussed this and Gabby and I decided it would be best.”

“We didn’t discuss this!” I hissed in his ear.

He shushed me and told me he would handle it.

“I don’t think so!” Zach growled, stepping up to Aiden, ready to murder him.

“I do,” Aiden breathed sternly, smirking as he pulled me to his side and wrapped his arm around my waist to secure me by his side. He kissed my neck softly and my knees got weak.

“That’s enough!” Zach ran a hand through his hair and backed up a bit. “Gabby, what do you want?” Aiden opened his mouth, but Zach glared at him. “Gabby?”

“Aiden, I’m sorry, but I want to go home,” I mumbled, gripping his hand. “I’ll see you at school. And you can come over or I can go to your house.”

“Gabby, I already told you that I’m not living with that man anymore.”

“Oh...Then...” I sent a pleading glance to Zach who groaned, staring at the ceiling before glancing back at me.

“I don’t want you two doing anything...and Marshall isn’t going to like this much.”

“Thank you!” I squealed, throwing my arms around my guardian. He grumbled something under his breath.

“You still don’t know a thing about taking care of an expectant hybrid mother,” Celeste informed him.

“Oh, you can come, too. You don’t need an excuse to be in my bed.”

“Oh, I know that,” she giggled, throwing herself at him.

Okay, so Aiden’s mom was making out with a guy that was like a brother to me...

Eww!