‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Shatter My Glass Heart

Aiden’s P.O.V.

“Aiden, you did the right thing, I promise,” Jonathan told me, throwing his arm around my shoulder as we sat on the edge of my bed.

I was crying, though I wish I wasn’t. I had just walked out on the only girl I had ever loved, and I was downright miserable. I jerked myself from him and stood up as I, in a fit of rage, lashed out and sent my lamp flying across the room. There was the satisfying sound of glass shattering against the wall. Jonathan jumped, but then I heard him sigh.

“So we’re not going back to school, are we?” he mumbled. My hands formed fists at my side and they trembled as I tried my hardest not to deck my best friend. He was so indifferent. Could he not see that I was desperate?

“You can, but I’m not ever going back,” I barked at him, narrowing my eyes to mere slits. He raised his arms in surrender, but he didn’t look sincere. “You’re lucky you are my best friend, or you’d be lying on the floor bleeding.” Jonathan started glowering at me.

“If that’s the thanks I get for saving you from that slut of a half-breed, then fine! I don’t have to put up with this, mind you,” he hissed, stepping up to me and pointing at me accusingly.

“Then don’t!”

“I won’t!”

I watched, fuming, as he left me alone. I heard the sound of a door slamming. My mother peered into my room with a worried look about her, but I shook my head before collapsing on my bed and throwing my face into my hands.

“I loved her, mom. I love her,” I sobbed, trying to keep my shoulders from trembling. I blinked furiously to keep the tears at bay.

“Oh, honey,” she whispered softly. I heard footsteps as she ran across the room and sat beside me on the bed. She put an arm around my shoulder and pulled me into an embrace. “I know, sweetie. I know. But sometimes these things happen. You can’t blame yourself, and she just lost the best thing that ever happened to her.”

“You don’t get it.” I pulled my face from my hands and turned my gaze to her, a weary look in my eyes. “She was pregnant.” I watched as my mother’s eyes widened.

“Aiden...You two...When did you...?” She couldn’t form coherent thoughts as she withdrew herself from me and stood up, a disoriented look in her eyes.

“We did, mom. I get if you’re disappointed in me. Celeste wasn’t, but she’s not my real mother. It was only like a week ago, and it wasn’t just once,” I murmured, not able to look her in the eyes. She looked so upset with me.

“How did you...without me even knowing?” I rose to my feet and made my way to her, offering a small smile.

“I’m just that sneaky. Like Celeste, I suppose.” My face fell. “But you won’t have to worry about that anymore. Gabby and I are over.”

“But you said you got her pregnant.”

“No, I said she’s pregnant. I didn’t say I did it.”

“But...Aiden, darling, I am very confused.” She reached out and hugged me quickly, tousling my hair. I fixed it absentmindedly.

“She cheated on me. Or so Jonathan says. Gabriella says I was her first and her only, but how can I take her word over my best friend—well, my old best friend. He’s pissed at me now. But really, what do I do? What if she is carrying my child?”

“Sweetie,” she murmured, kissing my forehead. “I think you ought to straighten things out with her. It may not be pleasant, but you two need to talk about this. There’s a chance she could be having your children, and do you really want to miss out on that?”

I shook my head, staring at my feet. She mumbled something to me, but I had checked out. She left me to my thoughts and I made my way back to my bed, getting under the covers.

My stomach was queasy, but I didn’t know if it was because I was anxious, excited, or scared. All I knew is that tomorrow couldn’t come soon enough. We had all day to talk, and I intended on confronting her the second I saw her gorgeous face.