‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Reflections In Mirrors

Gabby’s P.O.V.
I had spent the night in a tree, and a branch isn’t so nice to sleep on. I kept waking up with the sounds of birds and crickets chirping and humming. I was also afraid that I would fall out of the tree and kill two potential lives. I could assume that there weren’t so many hybrids in the world, and I didn’t want to be responsible for making that race even smaller.

I was starting to understand the tracking thing that Aiden had been doing only a few days ago. Though I did not have a specific person I was looking for, I had this uncanny seventh sense telling me where to go. I had no idea where I was, but I did know that I had left Zach and Nicholas, Ian and Isabel, and Aiden long behind me. I wondered if they were searching frantically for me by now.

I knew Zach would be downright terrified, but I doubted that Ian and Isabel even knew that I was gone yet. Aiden probably was happy when I didn’t show up at school the rest of the day. And I wouldn’t be going today either, so he wouldn’t have to worry about avoiding the topic of “Is Gabriella a hoe?” and even the whole idea of Gabriella. He would never have to see my disgusting face ever again. I bet that, right now, he was telling his friends how much of an ugly-ass bitch I was.

I just wished I could have given Jonathan a parting gift. It would have been nice to feel my teeth sink into that werewolf neck of his.

I sniffed the air thoughtfully and turned right, not having a clue as to where I was going. There was a warm scent in the breeze and it was very welcoming, so I planned on checking it out. It smelled a little like Aiden, but it also smelled like myself. I can’t explain it, but it smelled so inviting.

“What’s your business?” a stern voice demanded.

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around to see a boy standing firmly on the ground, so sure of his footing even though the ground was mushy from the night’s rainfall.

“I was just passing through. Please, I don’t want any trouble,” I begged. Normally I would have stuck up for myself, but I didn’t want to get into a fight and risk losing the only people I had in my life even though they weren’t really alive yet.

“Why would a vampire be so submissive? You had better not be playing me!” he hissed, stepping forward. I stepped back, shaking my head furiously.

“I’m not, I swear! Are you a werewolf?” I asked him, trying to figure out whose territory I was snooping on.

“Yes, well, no. Maybe. Who wants to know?” His voice cracked and I giggled.

“Well, I asked the question, so I would be the one who wants to know. I’m Gabriella-Jasmine James. And you are?”

“Jack. Now state your business.” I laughed again.

“I already told you. I’m passing through.”

“Oh, right...” He cleared his throat affirmatively. “Why are you such a submissive vampire?”

“I’m not a vampire, Jack—if that’s even your real name.”

“I am not a liar! If you’re not a vampire, then what are you?”

“Well, I am a liar, though I’m a horrible one. I am a vampire, but I’m not. I am a werewolf, but I’m not. I can assure you that I am not something you’ve seen before.”

“I highly doubt that, hybrid. I’ve seen plenty like you. I look in the mirror everyday.”

“Wait, if you’re a hybrid then what are you doing out here in the middle of nowhere?”

“Middle of nowhere?” He laughed softly. “I’m right at home.”

“What do you mean?”

“You have a home don’t you?”

“Not really. I left home. I lived with a vampire and had a werewolf boyfriend, but I left so now I’m a homeless mutt.”

“You swear you’re a hybrid?” he asked, his voice suddenly a whisper.

“Yeah. I was werewolf, but I got bit as a baby.”

His eyes darted back and forth as if he was searching for something.

“Follow me.”

“Where are we going?”

“Home.” He smiled brilliantly and strode up to my side. He offered an arm and I took it, following him blindly to wherever he was taking me.

I just hoped it was better than where Aiden had led me...