The Heart That Requires a Key

Welcome To A Break

Early Saturday, the morning after the Friday of the final day of 10th grade, we find Jeff sleeping on his floor with a small blanket after crashing the night thinking of what he can do to turn his life around as far as it goes for his "luck".

A knock at his door. "Jeff are you awake yet?" said his mother from the other side.

Jeff rolled over and stretched then answered "I don't feel like waking up," he answered.

His mom entered, drinking hot chocolate and eating a piece of toast. "I know you're upset about this whole situation with searching for someone but how many times do I have to explain to you that none of it is worth the time to stress yourself," she explained.

"I understand your point but understand when I say it isn't that all easy you know. I live to love and if it doesn't come to me then what is the point of living."

"Shut up ok, you're talking nonsense and you know fine and well that I don't like that," his mother fired back. “You need to get over it and quit the depressing attitude, you'll find that one girl for you one day and you'll be able to bring her home to mommy. Don't worry alright, I made you a handsome boy and eventually your luck will turn out the way you want it, all it takes is patience."

"Wow I didn't think such a mom answer could be expressed to me so clearly yet embarrassingly," Jeff stated.

His mother chuckled "I only say it for the better. Anyway I'm going out and will be staying the night with one of my friends until tomorrow so if you’re going to stay home and mope all day then make sure you keep the house clean. If not and you choose to go out, don't come home too late or if you're going to stay at a..."

"I get where you're going with this, no need to run it through my mind countless times," Jeff interrupted.

"Good. I'll see you later," she said back as she grabbed her keys and proceeded on out the door.

Later on in the day, finally getting up and quit the moping like his mother suggested, Jeff went to shower, got dressed and left the house to meet up with any friends who weren't busy.

"Wonder who’s free," he thought to himself while pulling out his cell phone and browsed through the list of contacts. He chose to call one of his close friends, Cindy.

"Happy Saturday, whose calling?" Cindy answered when he called.

"Hi Cindy how are you?

Cindy gasped "JEFFY! I haven't heard from you in a few short weeks. I've been quite fine and yourself?"

"Things could be better on my side but I'm attempting to hang in there. But anyway I was calling to ask are you free today?

"For us to hang out? I don't think that can happen buddy. I have to take care of my little sisters and my baby brother because my mother is going to be quite busy this weekend," Cindy replied sadly.

"Oh....OK....I guess there can be another time," he replied back.

"Hold on a second, I have an idea! Stay on the line I'll be right back."

After a minute, Cindy returned to the phone excited "Jeff my mom said you can come on over and stay the night if you'd like. You and I can play games and chat. Not to mention you can help me with these insane little girls."

"That sounds perfectly fine and don't worry I'm good with kids," Jeff replied happily.

"Good now hurry on up and get on over here, I'm faint with boredom and aggravation and I need a savior," Cindy joked.

"You got it; let me just give my mother a call and tell her where I'll be at and let me go grab a change of clothes."